SU-27 in flight mode

Hello,

this is my Zvezda SU-27SM 1/72

I used Ammo by Mig Jimenez paints mostly, AK Basic Line 0,3 paintbrush, AK Camouflage plastic putty, AK Gauzy for the transparent parts, an aftermarket metal Pitot tube from DreamModel, Mr. Hobby Semi-Gloss spray varnish and PLW Dark Sea Blue as wash. Well I know, it has SU-33 colors, in theory a machine like that is possible. 

(Additional pictures an explanation in my comment from October 11th)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Remus389
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

• Remus389 changed the title to SU-27 in flight mode

Good result! But this camouflage scheme is not suitable for the Su-27SM. It should have a 2-color scheme. That colors only for SU-33.

spacer.png

Edited by IGKent
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Not only does your model look very good but you've optimized the available space in your display area. That's a win/win for sure!

I didn't really think of that to optimize my space, it turned out this way by lucky chance. I just love the nice shape of this jet, thats why I've done it gears up and without missiles. I just wanted the clean shape.

11 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Nicely done. The different metal colours on the engine panels is especially good.:like:

Pete

The engines were a challenge for me. There should be some blueish tint to it like here: https://www.modellingnews.gr/el/μοντελισμός-κατασκευές/sukhoi-su-33-flanker-d-kinetic-148

I used a combination of acrillyic gun metal and enamel silver, and somehow I managed it. I am more or less satisfied, not so good as above, but acceptable. Happy for your positive comments about the engines.

10 hours ago, IGKent said:

Good result! But this camouflage scheme is not suitable for the Su-27SM. It should have a 2-color scheme. That colors only for SU-33.

spacer.png

Yes I know. I just like the colors of the SU-33 better and the canardless shape of the SU-27. I like it this way, I know it's not really accurate, I should have done it similiarly like on the picture.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 07:47, Remus389 said:

Yes I know. I just like the colors of the SU-33 better and the canardless shape of the SU-27. I like it this way, I know it's not really accurate, I should have done it similiarly like on the picture.

No, you shouldn't have done it like the picture. It's only a model and the 3tone paintjob is perhaps not real, but it's not unrealistic and if you like it more, what's wrong with that? It's not like you  painted it bright green with purple polkadots 😉. No, I am a big fan of these "wrong" paintscheme', they bring some variation. Good job! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 8:47 AM, Remus389 said:

Excellent model! Could you please tell me what paints you`ve used for the two blue colours? They seem to be exactly what is needed for the original scheme.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fin said:

Excellent model! Could you please tell me what paints you`ve used for the two blue colours? They seem to be exactly what is needed for the original scheme.

I have bought the Ammo of MIG SU-33 Colors

• Thanks 1

On 02/10/2021 at 09:06, Wouter1981 said:

No, you shouldn't have done it like the picture. It's only a model and the 3tone paintjob is perhaps not real, but it's not unrealistic and if you like it more, what's wrong with that? It's not like you  painted it bright green with purple polkadots 😉. No, I am a big fan of these "wrong" paintscheme', they bring some variation. Good job! 

Well, I think it's an acceptable variation, it's in the limits (as you said, it's not green and purple), because a layman would not know that it has the SU-33 colours but it's actually a SU-27. They are very similiar jets. Only experts would notice. If I showed this model to the average Joe, even a modeller, it's unlikely he would notice the paint job is actually Russian Navy colours and not Russian Air Force colours. Also its more complicated, because it has also grey, light blue and dark blue, not just light blue and dark blue. Anyway I like it this way, and I was aware that it's not 100% accurate, but we could imagine a machine like that easily, maybe at one point the russians painted one SU-27 like this, who knows, they have built many hundreds of these and they served 30+ years.

Here is how I did it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zk7DyN7dnLjo3gRJ7

Additional pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvdn3Cf2H9wmbifQ9 

Edited by Remus389

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...