Hunter cockpit colour?

SeaVenom

I built Revells 1/32 Hunter FGA9 many years ago and I painted it anthracite grey like the instructions said.   I didn't really look into whether it was correct or not at the time as I assumed it was correct but after digging out and starting my FMK6 I've looked at cockpit photo's and like many other aircraft of the era it looks like it should be a flat black instead?   I've seen some people say grey and others saying black.

If you use a very dark grey/almost black, you can then use pure black washes to pop out the detail.  A dry brush with a lighter grey will get it looking pretty much like the real thing. I'm not sure they were as battered as the ones we see in museums when in service use, at least earlier in their careers.

What the guys have said. I do wish I could see a photo of any British cockpit in black from that era showing what the cockpit was like when it left the factory. In service photos still seem to show a fair bit of wear. 
As neilH says museum ones are likely to have been victims of having a hard life so can provide only some guidance to be tempered with the knowledge they have been knocked about a bit. 
I’d say on the real thing the black is pretty black but on a model you want something that’s only almost black and “weathered and worn” a bit. 

Not of any help but I once had a shelf sitter on the shelf of doom following a build question I couldn’t resolve. Fuselage and wings given a preliminary coat of Humbrol Matt black to be over coated later. Fast forward three years and picked it up and knocked off the accumulated dust etc. Had a look and thought crikey that’s just the effect I imagined I wanted! Bit drastic though and never qualify for a blitzbuild 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Here are a couple I took in the cockpit of the Hunter at Cornwall air museum.

5654-ECCB-6-F27-431-E-9363-F169531-FAB54

0360-D524-BEDC-4870-84-ED-2-B37004-D33-F

See the pilots trainers. Could be tricky even in 1/32. And what colour is Adidas blue?

4 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

More nice pics.   The cockpit is definitely quite lacking especially as it's a larger kit.

True Details do a resin replacement that’s nice and often to be found on well known auction sites. I’ve acquired them for my Hunters

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, JohnT said:

See the pilots trainers. Could be tricky even in 1/32. And what colour is Adidas blue?

True Details do a resin replacement that’s nice and often to be found on well known auction sites. I’ve acquired them for my Hunters

Thanks for that.   

• Thanks 1