Italeri C-130J to C-130J-30 1/72

Greetings Mates,

Hope all is in good spirit. Yes, Zvezda's new C-130J-30 is coming out anytime soon and why am doing this? Well, I had this kit and for a while wanted to make it into the extended version, I tried to get the resin conversion then I realized it is more expensive than the kit itself so time for an experiment. I ordered some stuff from abroad but sadly still stuck in customs so it was pretty much with whatever I have. For the next few days I would read many documents and forums for the required surgeries I realized most is resin conversion, however, there was a C-130H 1/72 conversion that keeping in mind with some reference material I started my endeavor. First I chopped the front and rear then I was wondering how to make the plug I tried some plastic but it won't fit well so make it a square one, as I was measuring the gap and attached a small wooden plank It was my Eureka moment. I cut some wooden plank into small pieces and attached both sides some parts I used a nail plier carboard hehe it was easy to make a curve, then sand and sand the whole say to make a round shape. Then it is tons of epoxy which I let it dried for the night and next two days sand and sand again. It literally exhausted me and since my paints are stuck with the bane department (custom) so back to local paint for which you need some additional works. I have to say this has to be the most exhausting yet learning build in recent time. Will I do it again haha, well NO for this scale, and the saving grace is the Zvezda's kit. Anyways, it is not perfect and there are some errors here and there but tried my best, and here are pictures, thank you for watching any feedback welcome.

Cheers

00-1.jpg

00-2.jpg

00-3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 1

Superb ! Reminds me of Airfix magazine articles from the 1980s where conversions often involved balsa wood, dope and filler, and a lot of sanding !

• Thanks 1

Nicely done,..... having recently done a similar conversion with the Italeri Herk I feel your pain,...... it looks lovely in those Indian AF markings,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Val_Ukraine said:

Very nice job! She is wonderful in her blue dress!

Thank you, mate really appreciate the kind words. 

18 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Nice!

Thanks Mate

18 hours ago, gazza l said:

Very nice, impressive work on the stretch.

gazza l

Thank you

17 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

That's some impressive surgery skills you've shown there. Also, it's nice to see a Herc in Indian markings, I've not seen anyone do that before. Great job! 

Thank you Bobby, I think it is the first for Indian version on the interweb, glad to know am the first. Cheers

16 hours ago, stuartp said:

Superb ! Reminds me of Airfix magazine articles from the 1980s where conversions often involved balsa wood, dope and filler, and a lot of sanding !

It is old school modelling I guess, lots of learnings while building it Thanks

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

All the hard work was worth it. You have a beautiful model there.

Really appreciate the kind words, cheers

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Nicely done,..... having recently done a similar conversion with the Italeri Herk I feel your pain,...... it looks lovely in those Indian AF markings,

Cheers

Tony

Thank you Tony, really appreciate it, may see yr version please.

8 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Considering the effort that went into this C-130, it turned out very impressive.  I like it!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thank you, Mike Cheers

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

Cool! Neat conversion work and the Herk looks great in that scheme! Well done!

Cheers

Malcolm

Cheers Malcolm, 

21 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing it.

Much appreciated mate

13 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

That's what modelling is about!

Thank you, It was daunting yet it was fun doing so. Cheers

12 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Excellent work mate. Looks fabulous

Much appreciated

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

That is superb, all your hard work paid off.

Indeed, lots of hard work but at the end I like how it had turned and thank you for appreciating the work, cheers

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Brilliant job on that Tom, your determination & hard graft have triumphed in this build. 👍

Steve.

Thank you Steve, your words of encouragement through out the years has always had a positive effect on me, thank you so very much.

52 minutes ago, Tallyho said:

Splendid job resulting in a unique model and great scheme!

Great work mate.

Cheers Mate!!!

• Like 2