* UPDATED * Paul Lucas' "Colour Conundrum" articles published in SAM 2015 - 2021

Rabbit Leader

Over time I've noticed a number of posts seeking to find particular 'Colour Conundrum' articles that have been written by Paul Lucas and published in various back issues of Scale Aviation Modeller. @Graham Boak was kind enough to list a few of these back issues within the many Malta Spitfires threads and this got me thinking about all the other great articles that have been penned by Mr. Lucas over the journey. Below is an unfinished list that goes back to January 2017, however I still have (at least) another two years of magazines to go through to add to this long list. 

Now I don't have all these 'paper' magazines myself, however have not long paid and downloaded a Magazine App called 'Magzter' that has every SAM issue available to read from Sep 2014 to Oct 2021. For the sum of just A$50.00, I have all these issues to view for 12 months and better still there's enough "Home / Cooking / Women's Interests" content available to make the missus agree that (for once) I have purchased something worthwhile!  Anyway, I have absolutely no affiliation with Magzter or any 'tech' company whatsoever, however do know a good bargain when I see one, so am passing this on for others to possibly consider. There's probably many more good modelling magazine related 'apps' out there, however this one, with all these Colour Conundrum articles should keep me happy for quite some time to come. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

Dec-21 - Post War RAF Mosquitoes Mk XVI 1945 - 1948 

Nov-21 - Front Line RAF Vampire FB.5's and FB.9's 1951 - 1957

Oct-21 - British 'Anti-Flash' finishes 1956 - 1965 (Part 2)

Sep-21 - British 'Anti-Flash' finishes 1956 - 1965 (Part 1)

Aug-21 - Dark Blue and other 'lost' colours of the US Navy 1941 - 1943

Jul-21 - Mediterranean Maritime Schemes of the RAF 1935 - 45 (Part 2)

Jun-21 - Mediterranean Maritime Schemes of the RAF 1935 - 45 (Part 1)

May-21 - A Malta Story Reprised - The Malta Spitfires of 1942

Apr-21 - The birth of the Post War Fleet Air Arm

Mar-21 - RAF High Altitude Fighter Schemes 1940 - 1945 (Part 2)

Feb-21 - RAF High Altitude Fighter Schemes 1940 - 1945 (Part 1)

Jan-21 - Arctic Camouflage for the RAF 

Dec-20 - Colour conundrums of the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain (Part 2)

Nov-20 - Colour conundrums of the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain (Part 1)

Oct-20 - BOAC and the Battle of Britain April - October 1940

Sep-20 - RAF Gladiator Camouflage Schemes 1938-40

Jul-20 - RAF Photographic Reconnaissance Colours 1939 - 45 (Part 2)

Jun-20 - RAF Photographic Reconnaissance Colours 1939 - 45 (Part 1)

May-20 - AEW Skyraiders of the Royal Navy 1951 - 1960

Mar-20 - A Tigers Tale - RAF Tiger Moths based in the Uk 1932 - 1945

Jan-20 - The Flying Camels of Operation Firedog - Beaufighters of No. 45 Sqn 1946 - 1950

Dec-19 - Royal navy Buccaneers and Squirrel Grey 1966 - 1967

Nov-19 - RAF Tropical Land Schemes 1934 - 1943 (Part 2)

Oct-19 - RAF Tropical Land Schemes 1934 - 1943 (Part 1)

Aug-19 - The Tropical Sea Scheme and the Vildebeeste 1935 - 1942 (Part 2)

Jul-19 - The Tropical Sea Scheme and the Vildebeeste 1935 - 1942 (Part 1)

Jun-19 - RAF Day Fighter Schemes 1941 - 1943 (Part 2) 

May-19 - RAF Day Fighter Schemes 1941 - 1943 (Part 1) 

Apr-19- Flight deck colours of the Royal Navy - Cold War era 1946 - 1978

Mar-19 - Luftwaffe Upper surface colours 1940 - 1945 (Part 2)

Feb-19 - Luftwaffe Upper surface colours 1940 - 1945 (Part 1)

Jan-19 - Midnight Blue and the Post War Fleet Air Arm 1945 - 1988

Dec-18 - Tiger Force - RAF Bombers for the attack on Japan 1945

Nov-18 - A Malta Story concluded - The Malta Spitfires Nov 1942 - Jul 1943 (Part 2)

Oct-18 - A Malta Story concluded - The Malta Spitfires Jun - Oct 1942 (Part 2)

Sep-18 - Air Controlled Interception for the RAF and Operation Vapour 1940 - 1945

Aug-18 - US Equivalent Colours for the RAF 1938 - 1942 (Part 2)

Jul-18 - US Equivalent Colours for the RAF 1938 - 1942 (Part 1)

Jun-18 - The Bristol Blenheim Mk. IV's of Bomber Command 1939 - 1941 

May-18 - Grey Green 1924 - 1945

Apr-18 - Prelude to an Air Force - The RFC on the Western Front 1914 - 1918 (Part 2)

Mar-18 - Prelude to an Air Force - The RFC on the Western Front 1914 - 1918 (Part 1)

Feb-18 - The 2TAF Olive Green mystery revisited 

Jan-18 - Operation Jiu-Jitsu - RAF Radar Recon overflights of USSR with RB-45C Tornado 1952 - 54

Dec-17 - The truth about late war Luftwaffe camouflage? - RLM 81 & 82 (Part 2)

Nov-17 - The truth about late war Luftwaffe camouflage? - RLM 81 & 82 (Part 1)

Oct-17 - The 18 Group Coastal Command 'Norge' schemes of 1943

Sep-17 - A Malta Story Continued - Malta Spitfire deliveries via Gibraltar 18 May - 17 Aug 1942 (Part 2)

Aug-17 - A Malta Story Continued - Operation Oppidan, Hansford & Bowrey. USS Wasp's 2nd delivery

Jul-17 - A Phantom finish - Royal Navy F-4K Phantom FG.1/s 1966 - 1979

Jun-17 - The Deep Sky Blue Mystery (Part2)

May-17 - The Deep Sky Blue Mystery (Part 1)

Apr-17 - RAF Brewster Buffalos in the Far East 1941

Mar-17 - Flight Deck colours for Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers 1936 - 1945

Feb-17 - Pathfinder' P-38's for No. 5 Group RAF Bomber Command 1944

Jan-17 - Shades of Sky - Under surface colours for Front Line Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1945 - 55 (Part 2)

Dec-16 - Shades of Sky - Under surface colours for Front Line Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1945 - 55 (Part 1)

Nov-16 - Fluorescent Finishes for RAF and FAA Aircraft 1958 - 1977

Oct-16 - Low Level Camouflage for the Handley Page Victor 1964 - 1968

Sep-16 - Identification and Disguise for the Royal Flying Corps Aug 1912 - Feb 1915 

Aug-16 - Bottisham Blue - Upper Surface Camouflage P51's of the 361st FG June - July 1944 (Part 2)

Jul-16 - Bottisham Blue - Upper Surface Camouflage P51's of the 361st FG June - July 1944 (Part 1)

Jun-16 - Middle East Confusion - Upper Surface Camouflage for the RAF in the Middle East 3/39 - 1/41

May-16 - Middle East Blue - Under Surface Camouflage of Day Flying a/c in ME. June - October 1940

Apr-16 - Messerschmitt Mystery - Brown and Grey Bf109E's in the Battle of Britain

Mar-16 - Supermarine Swift Squadrons of the RAF (that might have been) 1950-60 (Part 2)

Feb-16 - Supermarine Swift Squadrons of the RAF (that might have been) 1950-60 (Part 1)

Jan-16 - A Malta Story - Spitfire Vc's of Operation Newman & Calandar 13-20 April 1942 (Part 2)

Dec-15 - A Malta Story - Spitfire Vc's of Operation Newman & Calandar 13-20 April 1942 (Part 1)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

And by one of those happy happenstances, Gary just announced on Facebook that Guideline will be publishing a collection  of Mr. Lucas' articles in time for Telford:

51515074823_83dc242486_b.jpg 

To quote Gary: "On sale at Telford. This is a collection of 19 articles by Paul Lucas, as published in SAM since 2015, with an introduction and a page of updates by the author. We've had so many requests for this! Volume 1 includes all Paul's published musings on the Malta Spitfires to date, as well as his pieces on WWI colours and markings, and much more."

Yippie!

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 12

Is it Scale Aviation Modeller or Scale Aircraft Modelling? I have a bunch of Scale Aircraft Modelling magazines, from January '97 up to July '13 in paper. and another bunch from about from about that time up to September 2020. These have Lucas's Colour Conundrum articles in them. I'm not sure if he was in any other magazines.

51514975587_d0b6ba09f1_b.jpg

Chris

That’s great news and I’m glad that Guidellines have listened to their customers and responded this way. It would be nice having these articles bound in one (or more) volumes so I’ll have to keep an eye out and try to order one from the UK. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll have to keep an eye out and try to order one from the UK. 

Very much what I was thinking too, hopefully, there'll be some left over after Telford, no mention of it on the Guideline website just yet, that I could see anyway.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 4:18 PM, Paul Bradley said:

And by one of those happy happenstances, Gary just announced on Facebook that Guideline will be publishing a collection  of Mr. Lucas' articles in time for Telford:

Good news.   I like the 'scuttlebutt' in the cover artwork filename :D

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Publication appears to be available direct, but have also seen it listed at Aviation MegaStore and Sprue Brothers (stateside):

https://www.guidelinepublications.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=835&PICFILE=835&STKNR=835&STRH=24&ORDN=50&RNZ=177279&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=4&SUB=1&VWW=1&VANCE=99

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did rather like the fact that the most recent one devoted four pages of a “Colour Conundrum” to… white. All white aircraft in profile over and over again. Nothing better “illustrates” the err, slightly, obsessive nature of our hobby…. Or at least that’s what my wife told me, though perhaps not quite in that wording!

best,

M.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I did rather like the fact that the most recent one devoted four pages of a “Colour Conundrum” to… white. All white aircraft in profile over and over again. Nothing better “illustrates” the err, slightly, obsessive nature of our hobby…. Or at least that’s what my wife told me, though perhaps not quite in that wording!

best,

M.

Tell her it's a new novel - "50 Shades of White"........

• Haha 4

While the subjects are often interesting I find that Mr. Lucas tends to jump to conclusions and, in general, provides poor analytical work. Added to that are the use of Vallejo paints as references. Vallejo is probably the manufacturer with least well-matched paints in their line. I do read some of the articles though, usually right up to the point where they become a bit too imaginative.

Jens

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jens said:

While the subjects are often interesting I find that Mr. Lucas tends to jump to conclusions and, in general, provides poor analytical work. Added to that are the use of Vallejo paints as references. Vallejo is probably the manufacturer with least well-matched paints in their line. I do read some of the articles though, usually right up to the point where they become a bit too imaginative.

Jens

:popcorn:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 11:03 PM, Jens said:

Jens

an association with Vallejo somewhat devalues the book if it's meant to be either a serious scholarly look at things, but that notwithstanding, is there a link to the contents of the book?

my interests are quite specifically WWII - and in reality I'm only interested in this book for the Malta articles - so I'd like to know what it is covered but the Guideline site doesn't have anything useful as far as i can see?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicholas mayhew said:

an association with Vallejo somewhat devalues the book if it's meant to be either a serious scholarly look at things, but that notwithstanding, is there a link to the contents of the book?

my interests are quite specifically WWII - and in reality I'm only interested in this book for the Malta articles - so I'd like to know what it is covered but the Guideline site doesn't have anything useful as far as i can see?

I wouldn't say it devalues the book, but it does make what is at times a difficult to follow colour interpretations harder than it need be by introducing Vallejo paint references as primary colour references for some of the profiles, rather than using the proper colour identity and then giving a Vallejo equivalent.

Index to Vol 1:-

Introduction

Prelude to an Air Force Part 1

Prelude to an Air Force Part 2

Identification and Disguise for the RFC

Sub-Cutaneous: The PC-12 Conundrum

Middle East Blue

Middle East Confusion

The Deep Sky Blue Mystery Part 1

The Deep Sky Blue Mystery Part 2

A Malta Story Part 1

A Malta Story Part 2

A Malta Story Continued Part 1

A Malta Story Continued Part 2

A Malta Story Concluded Part 1

A Malta Story Concluded Part 2

Grey Green 1924 - 1945

Shades of Sky Part 1

Shades of Sky Part 2

Midnight Blue & Postwar FAA 1945- 1988

A Phantom Finish

Updates

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Not using the correct nomenclature seems to me to completely defeat the point of the articles and is, IMO, an unfortunate and retrograde step.

I'm right with you.  I like Vallejo paints and use them a lot.  In a range as vast as theirs, it is likely that there will be a colour acceptably close for most modellers (though in many cases not the purist) for the MAP or BS colour required.  Whether that acceptable match is the same as the paint actually labelled by Vallejo as that MAP/BS shade seems a matter of chance: considerably less than 50% likelihood from the evidence of several BM threads along the lines of "What is the best Vallejo match for ...".  In any case Vallejo is nothing close to a paint standard: are we talking how the paint looks when painted out, or how it looks unstirred in the bottle or how it's been reproduced in a printed colour chart (as viewed through a computer monitor) or ...?

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Thanks @Dave Swindell, that's very useful. I was rather looking forward to this, but not sure I'll go ahead now. Not using the correct nomenclature seems to me to completely defeat the point of the articles and is, IMO, an unfortunate and retrograde step.

I'd urge you to reconsider, if you're interested in the subject and haven't got the original articles (or even if you have but would prefer them in one concise volume) this is a worthwhile purchase. Apart from maybe reformatting the layout from magazine to book, I don't think the articles have been changed from the original publication. The reference to Vallejo colours is in the original articles, as seen by the Gladiator page posted above by Chris (Dogsbody). 

Some of the "colour chips" for some of the articles only reference Vallejo paints instead of giving full paint descriptions shown in the Gladiator article, however the correct colour nomenclature is called out in the profile descriptions. 

I'd much rather there was a colour cross reference page for all the colours in the book with corresponding MAP, BS, FS and model paint matches, and the body of the book only refer to the actual period colour descriptions, as including the Vallejo colour references throughout adds an unneeded extra layer of complexity, especially for a dyed in the wool stick in the mud enamel paint user. However SAM have taken an editorial decision (and no doubt commercial sponsorship deal), if that's what it takes to get these articles published then fine, all the relevant info is there. 

• Like 1