Revell/Eduard 1/48 Fw-190 D-9

GazB

Hi all. 

I hereby present the finished article that is my 1/48 Revell rebox of the Eduard Fw-190 D-9.

Its been quite a while since I had a kit so fraught with problems, and this one did test my patience quite a bit. Fit issues, poor location/keying, incorrect or confusing instructions, and even mis-moulded parts. By some miracle it turned out looking decent.

Due to the instructions being contradictory at times, I ended up losing decals to masking tape while painting the tail bands on (decal bands didn't completely reach around the tail. Instructions told me to place the bands over the stencils, but the finished pictures on the manual and box show the stencils over the top, which would have preserved them 🤦‍♂️

The protruding rod on the right wing came off early, and I hadn't yet reattached it. The dorsal antenna behind the ring shown in the painting instructions didn't exist in the plans (including the Eduard ones) or the sprues, so not sure about that one.

Anyway. Glad to finally be done with it, even if the right landing gear keeps wanting to collapse and won't seem to reinforce with glue ><

On to the pics. 

1901_by_moab23_derlqlq-fullview.jpg?toke

1902_by_moab23_derlqn8-fullview.jpg?toke

1903_by_moab23_derlqo4-fullview.jpg?toke

1904_by_moab23_derlqp0-fullview.jpg?toke

1905_by_moab23_derlqq8-fullview.jpg?toke

1906_by_moab23_derlqr4-fullview.jpg?toke

1907_by_moab23_derlqrq-fullview.jpg?toke

Thanks for looking :)

Gaz

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mick said:

great work

8 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

👍🏾

8 hours ago, BerndM said:

A wonderful Dora.

Thank you mick, Bozo, BerndM ^-^

Gaz

Edited by GazB
  • Like 1

Well done ,wonderful result with a difficult kit. Having followed your work in progress, yours was another example of the poor buildability of the Eduard D9 (and D11/13) . If maybe there had been more critisisms of the kit when it was first released, as there was with their original A series, maybe they would have retooled it as well, instead of keep rereleasing it as they have done again recently  As it was noted in your thread there is a surprisingly long list of innaccuracies  as well.  With the Tamiya kit being so long in the tooth now ,as well as no engine and small undercarriage,(  and the weird upkick on its nose?) , and to be fair Hobbybosses  good attempt , but which also has its faults, it would be nice if someone (  updated and retooled by Eduard or Tamiya?) could give us an accurate and  buildable D9 as has been done with other machines. ( Mustangs and Spitfires for two examples !)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, Tokyo Raider said:

That was a tough kit!  Great Job!

28 minutes ago, Hal LH said:

Well done ,wonderful result with a difficult kit. Having followed your work in progress, yours was another example of the poor buildability of the Eduard D9 (and D11/13) . If maybe there had been more critisisms of the kit when it was first released, as there was with their original A series, maybe they would have retooled it as well, instead of keep rereleasing it as they have done again recently  As it was noted in your thread there is a surprisingly long list of innaccuracies  as well.  With the Tamiya kit being so long in the tooth now ,as well as no engine and small undercarriage,(  and the weird upkick on its nose?) , and to be fair Hobbybosses  good attempt , but which also has its faults, it would be nice if someone (  updated and retooled by Eduard or Tamiya?) could give us an accurate and  buildable D9 as has been done with other machines. ( Mustangs and Spitfires for two examples !)

Thanks Tokyo, Hal ^-^ Was certainly a bit of a fight, hah.

I've come to find that despite the heavy prevalence of WW2 subjects, certain ones (which happen to coincide with the projects I take, go figure, lol), are limited in kit choice and/or aftermarket options. 

Though if this kit has taught me anything, its take some of the glowing reviews with a pinch of salt 👀

Gaz

1 hour ago, GazB said:

Thanks Tokyo, Hal ^-^ Was certainly a bit of a fight, hah.

Gaz

You are being too nice!  I saw this kit described as 'fiddly'.  Being from Michigan, I did not know what that meant.  Now I am learning real English from the Britmodellers!

Building My Eduard Dora was like mud wrestling a mean wild boar...  It was worth it in the end and the model looks like a Dora!  Its hard to look at a Tamiya Dora or a Hobby Boss Dora and see inaccuracies, but building an Eduard Dora as nice as yours is like a rite of passage!

Those mountain climbers have their satisfaction...  its like that building an Eduard Dora!

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Heres a real challenge...  try building it with gun hatches closed next time!

Pleased to here someone else had the same problem as I did. Most surprising for an Eduard kit.

1 hour ago, Murfie said:

Pleased to here someone else had the same problem as I did. Most surprising for an Eduard kit.

Oh yea!  Never ending work to get them closed with a decent fit!

This kit (I think) was planned for a redo, like they did on the 190A.  The new 190A kits are a wonderful build!   The author of this post did a wonderful job...  this is a challenging build...  i just wanted to put such a nice model in context...  alot of work to get this model so nice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

You are being too nice!  I saw this kit described as 'fiddly'.  Being from Michigan, I did not know what that meant.  Now I am learning real English from the Britmodellers!

Building My Eduard Dora was like mud wrestling a mean wild boar...  It was worth it in the end and the model looks like a Dora!  Its hard to look at a Tamiya Dora or a Hobby Boss Dora and see inaccuracies, but building an Eduard Dora as nice as yours is like a rite of passage!

Those mountain climbers have their satisfaction...  its like that building an Eduard Dora!

While I was finishing off the painting I briefly put the landing gear arms into the recesses as if retracted. They didn't fit. They were far too short, so you'd have gaps along the thinner end. Really wasn't designed to be closed up, hah. Luckily, I like to show off what I can, and the lack of pilot meant I had to 'ground' it anyway. I'll probably look at using some old completed ground accessories to do a mini diorama with it :)

Gaz 

Oh yea!  That main gear install scared me.  I worried for days how the gear would actually go in at the correct angle and how that tiny tab was to fit in the wing notch on the SIDE!  but you know what?  Mine actually glued in perfectly on first try...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Oh yea!  That main gear install scared me.  I worried for days how the gear would actually go in at the correct angle and how that tiny tab was to fit in the wing notch on the SIDE!  but you know what?  Mine actually glued in perfectly on first try...

The left gear went in with relative ease. But the right gear wouldn't hold up at all, and the supporting arm was sitting at a different angle from the previous despite being in the same positions. I had to pack in a lot of superglue and even some white glue and then rest the wings on two paint jars to give it time to set enough. Fully expect it to weaken again if I start with diorama stuff.

8 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Glad to see it all turned out nicely in the end. It is not the easiest kit to make but with perseverance it will give decent results, well done on sticking with it to the end.

Duncan B

Thanks, Duncan. Nearly gave up a couple of times, hah. Was lucky to have the F-22 to do at the same time to take my mind off it :P

Gaz