Ju.88A-14 Exhaust Shrouds?

RainierHooker

I'm plodding along with a Hasegawa 1/72 Ju. 88A-14. As I'm just getting to engine nacelle assembly and I noticed that while the instructions for my particular kit say to use the standard exhaust for the Jumos, Hasegawa included the shrouded style on the sprue, as used on the night fighter variants. I'm planning on building my example as 3E+HS, an A-14 of 8./KG 6 shot down during a night raid over England in April of 1943. The instructions from the decals (I'm using Owl Decals' set 72080) show the standard exhaust stacks. However, as this aircraft had black undersides and was used a night raider, I can't shake the notion that it should have the shrouded exhaust covers.

Does anyone have a reference that A-14s did or did not have the shrouds. Anyone have a photo of this particular aircraft or other Ju. 88As used as night raiders over England? Am I crazy?

...on second thought, don't answer that last bit.

Edited by RainierHooker
Grammar
  • Haha 1

I don't use a photo-hosting service, so cannot insert pics here, but fitting the shrouds is a safe bet.

Some details regarding your subject:  Ju 88A-14  WNr.144372 (Stammkennzeichen: TJ+OV) of the 8./KG 6, “3E+HS” lost 24./25.April 1943, aerial combat with Mosquito Mk.XII from 85 Sq. (Lintott & Gilling-Lax).  Pilot Ltn. Alfred Beyerle, Radio operator Fw. Josef Schlund & Gunner Fw. Georg Schuster were killed, the observer Uffz. Ernst Behmer, survived to be taken prisoner.

Good luck with your build, GRM

14 hours ago, G.R.Morrison said:

I don't use a photo-hosting service, so cannot insert pics here, but fitting the shrouds is a safe bet.

As an aside and unrelated to the question posed by Ranier, You can always use the Microsoft Cloud to store and insert picture on here. 

Rainier,

As for the exhaust shrouds, I would have thought any airman would have wanted them if flying night intruder missions. 

The shrouds should provide just that little bit of extra help ? 
Personally I would add them. 

After all who will be any the wiser and its your model.