Fiat G.50 „Freccia” 1:48 Flying Machines

Kriss

Welcome! This time a quick weekend project and as usual Italy on tap. The chosen one is a Fiat G. 50 "Freccia" in 1:48 from Flying Machines FM48002. The only additions I have to the model are these:

- Montex MM48198

- MASTER AM-48-054

Model will represent machine Fiat G. 50 "Freccia" bis/AS, MM. 6393, flown by Capitano T. De Prato, commanding officer of 150a Squadriglia, 2Gruppo Autonomo, 1941.

If I'm not mistaken it's a smooth engine cover with no tabs. There is a square filter under the engine and the identifying marks with a white field.

That's it for starters, model washed and is drying for tomorrow morning.

HjqjRoc.jpg

D56zNH4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Work progress is slowly moving forward, it was supposed to be straight out of the box but I failed to master and had to open something in the model. Just the ammunition hatch for now.

zvD9pns.jpg

I also prepared the hull for closing, but I will still paint it beforehand.

doiqjO7.jpg

• Like 6

Good job! However I should mention that cockpit in the G.50 was grey, as typical of Fiat aircraft of the era and as stated in the maintenance manual for the type. Don't know if it's something you can still change, of course if you want to change this detail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops! I made a gaffe, my mistake. Unfortunately I already have the hull closed. I haven't delved into the documentation but I was looking at workshops on forums and there was a yellow primer color not gray and that confused me. I have two more G. 50s and will fix the error there.

Giorgio thanks for the information.

Edited by Kriss
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did a little bit of tinkering, as usual slowly but forward. I had poor quality pictures as far as the magazine cover goes. I have already stayed with the yellow primer color so that the different shades in the model are not conspicuous.

VIwbSjY.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

After fitting all parts of the model it was time for the primer, I masked the interior of the cabin and the recess in the fuselage. As you can see in the picture only the flaps will be pivoted. I also corrected some of the dividing lines.

v058HpX.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:41 AM, Kriss said:

There was some fiddling with the interior was, but the fit of the parts is like LEGO bricks.

geGAzhq.jpg

KvUILAr.jpg

Vnrz4Ay.jpg

Qxj3BWj.jpg

ZuGtDid.jpg

Hi Kriss, 

I am making an attempt at the same aircraft, mine is the Special Hobby 1/32.

XLNT start! 

Would you have some more pictures, research or your own build, to show more detail of this area, the IP section in particular? 

Very Best Regards, thank You for sharing! 

Zack

On 10/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, Giorgio N said:

Good job! However I should mention that cockpit in the G.50 was grey, as typical of Fiat aircraft of the era and as stated in the maintenance manual for the type. Don't know if it's something you can still change, of course if you want to change this detail

Hello Giorgio N, 

Please share more details 🙃

Stay safe, stay sane & happy modelling! 

Zack

15 hours ago, Zack said:

Hello Giorgio N, 

Please share more details 🙃

Stay safe, stay sane & happy modelling! 

Zack

Zack, I commented on the cockpit and interior colours of WW2 Italian aircraft in a number of threads in this forum, see for example this one:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026261-italian-fighter-cockpit-colour/

To summarise, before the introduction of the "Tavola 10" regulations in 1941, there was no officially sanctioned colours and companies followed their own internal procedures. In general the surfaces were first coated with a primer and then the final colour was applied, although the various steps depended on the material to be covered.

It is known that there were both greenish and grey primers and also different colours were used in the cockpits. the G.50 entered production well before the Tavola 10 was issued and it is known that Fiat painted their fighters in a light grey. The use of light grey is explicitly mentioned  in the assembly and maintenance manual for the type, even for the early series. This kind of manual were prepared by the manufacturer, so we can assume that light grey was the colour used during production. The only surviving G.50 also has the cockpit in a light grey.

Maintenance manuals for Italian aircraft of the era can be found easily in pdf format on the web and while not all include information on colours (actually only a few do), they always include pictures of the cockpit and other details and drawings of various components, so they are worth searching if you're interested in building one such model.

Also useful is the so-called "Catalogo Nomenclatore", that is a list of all parts used to build the aircraft, accompanied by drawings showing the parts within assemblies and sub-assemblies. These publications do not answer every question but are a great source of information when building a model. Text is of course only in Italian language...

A selection of drawings and pictures from these manuals for various types can be found here: 

http://www.cmpr.it/manuali.htm

• Thanks 1

Start of work on the engine, still a little left to finish.

wmkq6Dd.jpg

UBDTHcC.jpg

Hi Zack

I based my build on what I found on forums and google. I was guessing the supposed appearance. I also have mine in 1:32 from Special Hobby.

Hi Giorgio N

It's not LEGO but it goes with putting it together, the biggest problem is capturing it in its entirety. The lack of points determining the mutual position of the parts is noticeable. I didn't take pictures but I made the locating pins myself like in Re. 2001. I don't recommend it to beginners.

qfPP2dV.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Kriss. The camo of this "Freccia" was the usual three tones one but an overspray, similar to the German "Reverse mottling" was then done over the whole airplane, giving this very particular look. Please give a look to Stormo gallery, that might be helpful. Cheers.

http://hsfeatures.com/fiatg50jb_1.htm