March 881 1/20 Studio27

Malc2

So while the 006 was in hospital being attended to, the reserve model came to the fore.

I always liked the March team cars and am a fan of Adrian Newey, so the March 881 was a must have as it was his first F1 design. I found a very well thumbed (OK tatty) copy of How To Build a Car in the library and read it pretty quickly, it was a fascinating read.

I also found great references to the 881 in the Japanese F1 Modeling mags Vol27 and Vol28 which between them have 37 pages of photos comparing chassis 881/1 and 881/3 in detail, copies of which I had squirreled away some years ago for just such an occasion as this.

IMG-6381.jpg

I have seen a couple of builds of the S27 kit and it is very apparent that there is something wrong with the nose in a Pinocchio telling lies kind of way.

Have a look at this pic taken at Monaco (it has the alternative T shape air intake).
mt.jpg

Below is an OOB S27 build – photo credit wixy500, slightly different angle, but compare the position of the rear of the front wing end plates.
expo-2018-06-09-2409.jpg

I couldn’t find any reliable drawings of the 881 but I found the wheel base and track on Wiki and drew them out to 1/20. The kit matched the wheel base exactly, so leaving the front tyres in position, I moved the body and nose back until the wing end plates looked right, the result showed that 8mm(!) needs removing.
IMG-6089.jpg

Body moved back to put the nose where the end plates look about right in relation to the front tyres
IMG-6090.jpg

After giving the body several coats of looking at, I figured the best place to make the cut was just in front of the undertray where the taper along the top of the nose is at its shallowest.
IMG-6091.jpg

The sharp edge along the upper side of the nose should be rounded off - compare to the Monaco photo above
IMG-6092.jpg

So I broke out the brave pills, popped out to the workshop and cut the nose off - gulp! I used the cross slide to keep the cuts parallel
IMG-6258.jpg

The cuts were nice and even and just needed a quick swipe with the sanding block to smooth them off.
IMG-6259.jpg

Back in the model room I compared the results with my drawing and it all looked good.
IMG-6262.jpg

Side view
IMG-6263.jpg
IMG-6264.jpg

So I super glued the nose back on and filled the step with Milliput, most of which will be sanded off to restore the curve. New suspension positions were marked on before the cut was made by simply measuring 8mm back from the originals.
IMG-6269.jpg

Now I had to wait for a couple of days to let it really harden off.

All sanded down, with the nose cone bluetacked in place
IMG-6271.jpg

Air intake/roll hoop also in place
IMG-6273.jpg
IMG-6274.jpg

IMG-6275.jpg

Back on the graph paper with the camera held further away reducing the barrelling effect.
IMG-6278.jpg

Side view
IMG-6279.jpg

Looks much more in proportion to me
IMG-6282.jpg

With front suspension on, it may need the top push rod location moving back a small amount to the rear of the eyebrow fairing, which needs extending backwards too, looks like the top wishbone rear attachment point should be further forward too, I will have to see what the effect on the hub end this would make

IMG-6316.jpg

Top pushrod location moved backwards, compared to photo looks about right, also compare the new lower rear suspension pickup point in relation to the gear change bulge, now looks about right too.

Obvs I'm slightly ahead of this, but will update more tomoz if your nose is pressed to the screen and wanting to see how it all turns out.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 9

• Malc2 changed the title to March 881 1/20 Studio27

Thanks @Bengalensis! Yes the clean aero look of this era of cars and the simple colour schemes also make it my favourite period. Also the sound was amazing.

OK, so lets get caught up some more.

Trans case, all the sloppy fit tabs have been cut off the suspension arms and the gaps filled for the lower wishbone and driveshafts

IMG-6319.jpg

Another issue to fix is the gaping hole behind the seat
IMG-6321.jpg

No problem a wodge of plod can’t solve, it will need another go to fill the remaining imperfections
IMG-6326.jpg

The gear change bulge was almost circular, but should be teardrop shape.
IMG-6269-Copy.jpg

So a small bit of Milliput superfine left over from a ceramic repair (no I didn’t drop it) was used to elongate it and some finessing of the rear to make it more teardrop shape has worked wonders.

The eyebrows over the pushrods were also extended backwards, the pushrod location is a tiny bit low, but I am going to ignore that…. I may reduce the height of the eyebrow a bit when the filler is harder. I also sharpened up the crease line that runs horizontally about half way up the nose
IMG-6327.jpg

Looking at other builds on the net, I had a suspicion that the rear wing was too low, so I need to assemble the whole thing to see where we are.

The supports should fit like this on the gearbox, there is a tab and slot on the inside face that locates the support on the gearbox
IMG-6336.jpg

With the trans assy in place, the body pushes them down.
IMG-6329.jpg

Which means they touch the under tray and hold the body off

None of the others who built this kit mentioned finding this little problem!
IMG-6337.jpg

So some temporary wing mounts were made to fit round the body.
IMG-6351-Copy.jpg

All these do is allow the wing to be put in place to establish if its height is correct.

Then I assembled the rear wing, the elements were somewhat flat.
IMG-6340.jpg

Making the rear edge higher than the top of the end plate
IMG-6339.jpg

So some judicious bending and all is better. The wing assembly in place, the line on the block is at 50mm which is about the correct height in 1/20 scale for the max wing height for 1988, and shows the wing is about 4mm too low
IMG-6345.jpg

New new mounts made, the small vertical feature is the locating tab I mentioned earlier that locates in the gearbox, the cross piece is to support the rain light.

IMG-6352.jpg

New position looks about right, excuse the slight sideways misalignment, the blue tack was sagging under the weight of the wing faster than I could take the picture
IMG-6348.jpg

Wing end plate now does not disappear behind the rear tyre and the top of the wing is about level with the top of the air intake as it should be.
IMG-6354.jpg

Hope it all makes sense!

Comments welcome

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 8

Hi Malc, 

Well, you got me hooked with a Studio 27 kit (which I like) and....cutting it up! very brave indeed!  Looking forward to seeing this shape up! Too bad about the rear wing mounts - not the sort of thing a guy likes to discover in a build - nice fix tho.  I've built a few models of F1 rear wings (PE and white metal), and always have troubles assembling them (wings to brackets) so much so, that I've taken to the miserable task of drilling through the PE and inserting small brass rivets to hold it all together! Why you might ask? If not pinned I will almost inevitably know the assembly apart somewhere along the way, usually post paint, when it actually matters!  Looking forward to your next post - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

Cheers Nick!

I had always held S27 in high regard, then you have one and suddenly you find the master mould maker must have had a senior moment or something.

Wait till you see how bad the S27 Tyrrell 019 I have is! I only found one other build of the S27 019 on a Japanese forum and he seems to have given up after chopping it to pieces..... Or maybe that was his intent🤣 However I have a solution😁

So time for another update.

The next issue is that the undertray of the model comes to the outer edge of the body, on this car the body colour wraps under the monocoque. So to hide the join between the undertray and the body and make painting easier, I decided to rebate the undertray. Some 1.5mm square rod was bent and superglued to the lower edge of the body.
IMG-6355.jpg

The undertray was trimmed to suit and in place below.
IMG-6356.jpg

And the edges rounded off
IMG-6368.jpg

All through the above stuff, I had been wondering whether or not to remove the spurious side pieces on the rear body that don’t exist in race photos – the bits circled in red below, I think S27 added them to hide the lack of a Judd V8 engine. I have found only one picture that shows them, which is of an 881 in a museum, none of the period race pictures show them

IMG-6275a.jpg

IMG-6372a.jpg

Not visible here
1988-08-07-Hungaroring-Hungary-06.jpg

My OCD got the better of me and I decided to cut them off, otherwise every time I looked at the model I know I would regret not removing them.

So break out the razor saw of mass destruction.
IMG-6373.jpg

One gone
IMG-6375.jpg

Now there is a nice view of the resin forming the tub.

IMG-6378.jpg

To fill the gap there will be more exhaust and a couple of coolant pipes and lots of matt black paint.

Lots still to do.

As usual comments or criticism welcome!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 5

Evening plastic basherz, are you sitting comfortably?

So lets begin.

The seat was modified slightly to include the U shape for the drivers legs, which seems typical by the late 80’s, first a bit of plastic to define the shape.
IMG-6371.jpg

Lots of Milliput equals leg shape definition and new side consoles for the roll bar adjustment levers.
IMG-6380.jpg

Moving on…

Springs and dampers were made that go either side of the gearbox, you can also see I made a bit of a mistake, past me had put the lower wishbone in upside down, and the tab I assumed filled the gap above (which I cut off) needs to fill the gap below in the gearbox slot, so I removed some of the card filler I added previously. This means the exhaust now does not foul the wishbone… Win!
IMG-6389.jpg

Having removed the fake sections of monocoque side, I need exhaust headers to fill the gap. While wondering the best way to make them, I suddenly remembered I had some suitable exhausts in Mine Schrottplatz, so I dug them out and while I was there found a complete V8 from a Jordan 191, hmmmm, why not use it?
IMG-6391.jpg

So exhausts were popped in some 99% Isopropanol to clean the paint off.
IMG-6394.jpg

Hacked the gearbox off the engine, glued the engine halves together and offered it up
IMG-6392.jpg

Wow perfect fit

IMG-6393.jpg

Its close enough to a Judd V8 considering only a tiny fraction of it will be visible in the finished model. Now I need to let the mad professor loose with the dremel to carve out some room for the engine.

Engine placed over the soon to be resin dust
IMG-6396.jpg

From the side just because.

IMG-6398.jpg

Malc.

• Like 6

This is good stuff! Ive never set eyes on a Studio 27 F1 kit personally but it doesn't seem that accurate! The rear end especially seems a bit off,the wing position is quite bad on its own. Interesting to follow along if that's ok! Chris.

@klubman01 Thanks, not too bad as it turns out!

@Vesa Jussila Yes, I love the atmo cars of this period.

@Kitkent Nothing a saw, glue and filler can't fix!

Back in the garage with the hoover on maximum suck, let the grinding commence.

The mad dremel professor handed back the body, he had almost gone through in only two places…….
IMG-6399.jpg

No matter, some white powder and superglue on the inside and all is well, The heat release from the catalytic reaction is significant as the glue sets, so be careful if you are doing this on an injection moulded part
IMG-6405.jpg

Also a minor repair on one corner of the radiator exit where the dremel tool tried to escape.

Tape to form a dam
IMG-6400.jpg

Baking powder in place and a drop of superglue added
IMG-6401.jpg

10 seconds later the tape can be removed to leave a smooth exterior surface, just needs squaring up. Sharp superglue edges are quite brittle, so fine sand paper is used for clean up to avoid chipping it off again.
IMG-6404.jpg

The powertrain in place looking like it belongs there……

IMG-6407.jpg

And with the undertray - this is all you can see of the engine!

IMG-6408.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Comments welcome!

Malc.

• Like 7

Evening Chaps,

After 24 hours-ish, the exhausts were retrieved from the isopropanol which also had also conveniently separated at the glue joint.

IMG-6411.jpg

They had cleaned up well and were glued back together.
IMG-6415.jpg

To index the engine accurately and repeatably it was bedded in Milliput.
IMG-6414.jpg

The trans was pinned to the engine in a similar fashion to the Tyrrell 006.
IMG-6413.jpg

The moulded on exhausts were removed from the undertray
IMG-6420.jpg

New exhaust ends made up, the exhaust headers were shortened to tuck the exhaust closer to the engine sides.
IMG-6423.jpg

One last mod to the body was to add the small but distinctive flare to the rear body where it meets the undertray.

20thou plastic card scraps rebated in to the body, so the floor remains flush
IMG-6424.jpg

Card sanded to profile then filler added and smoothed with the wet end of a paintbrush handle
IMG-6426.jpg

I then dashed in to the paint booth (Garage) and threw some paint in the air and caught some of it on the body

This side
IMG-6432.jpg

That side
IMG-6433.jpg

The underside

Showing the extensions to hide the floor edges
IMG-6434.jpg

Backside
IMG-6435.jpg

Seat in primer – already with some remedial sanding.
IMG-6436.jpg

Comments Welcome!

Cheers Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 6

Afternoon all, heads down for some more progress updates:-

You know how this goes, had to do the same on the Lotus 101 and the Tyrrell 006 and no doubt all future resin F1 models I make, clearance had to be made for the drivers gear knob.

You don’t want to be chafing your knuckles while shifting your knob at 100mph do you?

Position marked
IMG-6437.jpg

After
IMG-6438.jpg

One detail I wanted to capture was the cuffs on the lower wishbone made from Milliput, so blobbed a piece in place and after some careful sanding.

IMG-6529.jpg

In place
IMG-6530.jpg

Different angle
IMG-6531.jpg

Back at the rear, rockers made for the dampers

IMG-6532.jpg

Gearbox painted silver then black then brown. After looking at the photos in F1 Modeling, I found the wing mounts should not have the curve forwards at the bottom, so I extended the gearbox backwards, now the rear wing mounts will have to be remade – again - sigh….

IMG-6565.jpg

Next up is getting some top coat on the body

Comments welcome!

Malc.

• Like 6

Cheers Ron!

Its funny, making the extra details, improving what you get, and indeed making the model as a whole is where I get my pleasure from, once the model is finished and on the shelf, I find I hardly even look at it!

Malc.

I'll add to this sentiment - once it's done, well, time to find something else to build.  This is looking great - the mounting points on the lower wishbones really add to the realism - and man, you did a great job on those little bits!!

Cheers

Nick 

Cheers, Nick!

So welcome to a rainy Autumn morning, with not much sun in sight, lets go back to a sunnier day!

So after futzing around correcting some minor imperfections and adding a couple more coats of primer with vigorous flatting in between. The sun came out so I got the Coral Blue on the parts that needed it.
IMG-6570.jpg

The front wing had already been glued together for the nosectomy, so a coat of primer or two and the end plates were masked for painting.

May the force be with you Obi Wan
IMG-6566.jpg

Xwing fighters ahead.....

IMG-6567.jpg

End plates painted – what a terrible angle to show this!
IMG-6571.jpg

SG Black splashed about also, pleased with the lower wishbone mods.
IMG-6572.jpg

Super pleased with the finish on the body

IMG-6573.jpg

Following learning from my Lotus 101, I decided to use mirror glass, it worked reasonably well, next time I will cover the reflective face with masking tape until the mirror is assembled and finished, as cleaning fingerprints off the mirror face left fine scratches in it.

The mirrors should be attached to the inside edge of the cockpit surround on little blocks, so the holes in the body were filled (you can just about spot them in previous posts) and the mounting blocks made and painted. Mirror stalks were replaced with 0.5mm wire.
IMG-6593.jpg

The exhaust heat shield was cut from the foil lid of a soft cheese container and epoxied in place as the embossed pattern almost exactly replicates the real thing.
IMG-6578.jpg

The front wing endplates are Coral on the outside faces, the rest of the front wing is black. Due to the complicated profile of the endplate edges this proved a step too far for my masking and painting skillz, so the whole black and coral mess took a swan dive in to the isopropanol.

Plan B is to paint the whole element coral and then decal the main plane and inside faces of the endplates with CF.

Comments welcome!

Malc.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So its been a while, soz and all that. But I’m a modeller and like the scorpion can’t resist stinging the frog, I can’t resist the lure of a new model(s). In this case a Ligier JS21. - I think I posted a pic in the new purchases thread.

But back to the March, I have been moving it along slowly.

So the front wing, repainting went well, gotta love white metal, if you make a paint mistake, chuck it in strong thinners and its ready to go again.

IMG-6822.jpg

But my 15 year old Studio 27 carbon decals would not bend round the leading edge, they just shattered no matter how much decal solution I used, I really wanted to find some BBR 1/43 carbon decal but no luck, so back to plan A v2.

This time I got some super flexible Tamiya flexi tape, its very flexible and will go round corners like Lewis Hamilton (in 2021 that is).
IMG-7086.jpg

Result!
IMG-7084.jpg
IMG-7085.jpg

Nice sharp separation lines.

Seatbelts next, one thing I have been struggling with for years (literally) is that the ribbon you can buy from haberdasherereeres has a selvedge down each side, ……….seatbelts don’t. Plus its never quite the width you need.

I think my missus was getting quite worried about the amount of time I was spending lurking in the ribbon aisle of sewing shops.

You start with this
IMG-6768.jpg

And if you try to cut the selvedge off you just get a mess of frayed ribbon.

Like this:-
IMG-6771.jpg

So what happens if I paint the wide ribbon with some PVA then cut strips THE EXACT WIDTH I NEED –will it stop the fray? A quick foray in to the depths of the garage cupboard of random stuff produced this, no idea how old it is or where it came from, but it’s some kind of PVA that dries clear.

IMG-6769.jpg

So after slapping some neat CASA liberally on the wide ribbon, and suitable drying time, slicing it up

Oh yes! Result! There is still some minor fray – another coat on the cut edges sorted that.

It also means I can cut the exact widths I want, whats not to like?
IMG-6770.jpg

So I carved some upper belt mounts
IMG-6588.jpg

Added some T2M bolts in to the holes in the mounts (so sad T2M don’t exist anymore)

IMG-6590.jpg

And glue the lower straps in place.
IMG-7083.jpg

Plus the roll bar adjuster made from scraps and gear knob.
IMG-7081.jpg

I just noticed the steering wheel needs a touch up. The upper belts attach to the monocoque below the air intake and will be attached on final assembly.

The rear wing was assembled with 5 minute epoxy
IMG-6830.jpg

Tape on the end plates to prevent glue spillage.

IMG-6844.jpg

The made for the job wing clamp holds it all square
IMG-6845.jpg

Sadly when it was fully dry I dropped it, only a few inches on to the desk, but it neatly disassembled into its 4 component pieces, oh bother I said.

Lets use 24Hr epoxy next time.

Brake disks also had a go through 3 colours of paint.

IMG-6846.jpg

I will try not to leave it so long next time!

Comments always welcome!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, Malc2 said:

I have seen a couple of builds of the S27 kit and it is very apparent that there is something wrong with the nose in a Pinocchio telling lies kind of way.

I'm reading Newey's book for the second time, and on page 116 he writes about the 881: "We introduced a longer nose and a new front wing in Hungary". Maybe the kit represents that version?

Fantastic work by the way!

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie