Big resin flying boat! Pend orielle 1/48 Sunderland.

gunpowder17

Pend Orielle or pomkit, What great kits they made. I built their 1/48 Mariner a while ago and i loved it. The resin is smooth , and the quality is great. Not up to todays standards but good enough for me.

This is their 1/48 Sunderland kit. I have had the Alpha flight one and im really starting to wonder if they bought the pend orielle masters and improved them. Theres some things i recognise , like the cockpit detail. I could not find any info on this kit other than a couple of pics of the box , so was surprised how small said box was when it arrived, Its such a big kit. The fuselage was in quarters and the front parts were warped quite badly , luckily the hot water technique worked out OK so the first thing i have done is to join the front and rear parts to make the fuselage halves.

uNAfdQS.jpg

IwLcqEE.jpg

• Like 11

Next up it needs some rigidity. The Alphaflight kit has an interior to make it strong , it is also made from a harder resin. The pend orielle kit is a softer white resin. I have made some formers from plasticard to give it more strength. Im also going to spray the main interior black , as theres nothing in it!

The cockpit has been assembled and primed and looks OK. I may add more detail but im not sure yet. It needs seatbelts at least. Heres a photo of the cockpit. I need to put the armrests on the seats and add the control wheels. I will use my special hobby kit for reference.

ROL9lS7.jpg

The molded in detail

Aj4Tb7a.jpg

The progress so far....

uZo0Ppf.jpg

• Like 17

Things are progressing. Fuselage is now joined and is very sturdy.  Did they fly the mk5 with top turret and upper camouflage? most of the camo ones i have seen are mk3s

One of the things i like about these big resin kits is that i can use car filler on them.It dries fast and sands beautifully. I will post some photos later.

2 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

Did they fly the mk5 with top turret and upper camouflage?

Some Mk V's did have turrets, some without (depends on production date)

The Air Ministry made a decision later in WWII that due to decreased Luftwaffe

activity (say in Bay of Biscay) the Upper Turrets were to be deleted on both Mk III

and Mk V (both of which were on the production lines at same time).

Generally by the time the Mk V came off the Production line, the upper colour

was Dark Sea Grey

From the book "Ocean Sentinel"

There is a nice photo of a 209 Squadron Mk V (NJ261 - "T")

flying over Mombasa Harbour with upper Turret and with Dark Sea Grey uppers

There is another photo of a 330 Squadron Mk V (conversion from Mk III) NJ172 - "WH*F"

flying from Sullom Voe (1945), with Upper Turret bit with Dark Sea Grey uppers

Again one more of a 209 Squadron Mk V (PP103 - "U") flying over Rangoon September

1945, with upper Turret, with Dark Sea Grey uppers

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Theres no pics on the interweb of this kit so heres the parts

DccuKXn.jpg?1

"whats in the tube?" i hear you ask

Some lovely cowlings....

Ad4CGa8.jpg?1

Beaching gear , guns and stuff!

87ZDe0c.jpg?1

Here are the props. They are quite nice , but i have noticed they are virtually identical to the revell 1/48 DC-3 props , so i may replace them with those.

wy3zf8x.jpg?1

Ailerons are nicely done.

FqGtYtY.jpg?1

As are the floats

uxHiBGg.jpg?1

2 sets of clear parts

YblrM4J.jpg?1

• Like 9