Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

Oh shucks

1637658057546514668665318289511.jpg

I was taking this into the garage for some filling and tidying when a random thought hit me.

For a while now something about the undernose panel has seemed off somehow, the lower profile keeps missing on my visual 'map'

When I placed the model onto its flat fuelling system underbelly and looked at it properly, my mind said "shucks"

And various other fresh comments escaped my mush  

16376581334373628841649508815544.jpg

The Milliput nose should be flat and in-line with the rear fuselage belly parts for just over half the distance between the step on he nose and the front undercarriage fixtures and then have a gentle rise to the step.

Because I did think I was going to have a garage filling session I considered making up the deficit with more filler but no, this plastic kit will be fixed with plastic and filler simply used to fill jointing pieces.

16376787682748276126664229718640.jpg

Quite a huge deficit huh?

16376789916168655093305510714211.jpg

OK where is EIHRSC?

• Like 7

OK the fix is in, basic filework gets me here

16376842652806815152344502568026.jpg

Still more to do with the underbelly radius and of course there will be some minor filling, probably using Triple P

This does suit me better though

16376843800858161596117244364044.jpg

Once that extra strip's Tamiya Green Thin sets hard I can get back on track

Phew 😓

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Are you sure you wouldn’t just have been better off scratch-building the darned thing Bill?

If he'd done that, he wouldn't get to play with his eight inch half round jobby now would he? :think:

Good spot Bill and superb rectification!

Terry

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

New nose time

Today only roughing out work

P1010068-2.jpg

P1010072-2.jpg

My original concept had the nose far slimmer than it actually ought to be, quick let's get Dol's finest in action.

P1010073-2.jpg

Now I haqve the front, mesh bound section moulded and stuck on it I can begin to draw back the shape with EIHRSC, soon to be known as EASY before I trim it down with SIHRSC or CIRCE colloquially.

The lower front is submitting Under Easy's gentle ministrations.

P1010075-2.jpg

Getting there

P1010077-2.jpg

So much of my original shape was wrong

P1010079-2.jpg

More tomorrow, night all.

• Like 9

it's looking better and better all the time Bill.  I wouldn't have picked up the incorrect profile unless you mentioned it - but once you did, I could see shy you chose to remake/remodel.

I don't know why, but that second shot up form here reminds me of Brian from Family Guy :D

• Haha 2

Your recovery and rectification work is coming on a treat bill, one thing modellers are missing  are extra sets of eyes, there is so much detail to look for when doing this kind of work and it is easy to have one of those details 'float' past you.

The main thing is you grabbed it back soon enough to rectify, nobody else saw it, that is how subtle the difference was.

From now on I may call you 'Beady Eye Bill'.....😉

• Haha 2

Maybe I should stop looking so critically at my own work but it's ingrained, one reason I have stopped competing with it.

The only thing that matters in a competition is whether the judge likes it, your model may be much more accurate than 'that one' but if the judge likes it, 'Good Night Vienna'.

It was so relaxing to display at Telford with the club rather than wonder if the judges knew what to look for.

:)

Anyway, some polishing has ensued now the sizes are reached, I will try for a picture tomorrow.

Masking off for the nose framing is under weigh, blimey that is no picnic.

BEB

• Like 6

I am sure this is it, but that screen to fuselage joint is not yet ready for action.

P1010081.jpg

This is the beginning of greeblie fortnight, the cockpit gets filled with levers and dials.

Seats get fitted with harnesses, roof inners get top consoles and all get stuck down with Formula 560.

Last night I gave G-S Hypo another (yet another!) test run, metal things to stick together permanently.

Still less than impressed, think I am drawing an end to that chapter in Bill's experimentation phase.

Anyway I digress, the nose.

P1010082.jpg

Underfuselage strake to add lower down than Airfix moulded it, shame really because they did it rather nicely.

P1010083.jpg

Matches photographs nicely now.

P1010085.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

OK I am off searching for undercarriage legs to cannibalise for the front legs on the Whirly now, maybe practise Fusion-ing too.

Busy Monday looms...

• Like 8

Dog house shmog house...

I have been scratching my hoary old head working out how to get on with these two whilst in a bit of a fugue state, mojo deletion process just barely reversed while I was devising this.

On the back of said dog house is a very prominent diamond mesh grille, presumably just intended to keep out any flying leaves.

Er and possibly ducks, the mesh is quite large.

I have no intention of building little gearbox coolers to sit inside the housing, I did that on the Belvedere and it is impossible to see it inside the cooler structure atop the fuselage tail.

Just not doing it so my task is to represent the cooling intake mesh without getting bogged down drilling fifty diamond shaped tiny holes.

So how about this?

mecanorma2crop1.png

This is a scan of part of a page from my Mecanorma Dry Print catalogue, circa 1980.

Very scruffy I admit but it has, ey what?

Dry Print?

Er what I used to use back before the days when Microsoft and Epson made our lives incredibly easier with Ink Jet printers, here, at home using simple programs to operate printing presses of our own.

I used Mecanorma and Letraset, you've all heard of Letraset after all, to write on letters, codes and sometimes other things on my models.

In the catalogue there are pages of fonts and other wonders, one section has textures for architects to use making architectural drawings.

The user might need to draw (cut out from plastic sheets) various shadings and stuff and luckily one section has a variety of dotted pictures for shading, this includes mesh segments

Here

16381987060423615057318495190591.jpg

Close in here is this bit

16381987357147972117437338869996.jpg

By scanning the image I want I get this

mecanorma2crop1inverted.png

And putting the scan into my chosen drawing package, Paint Shop Pro4 ( a freebie off the interweb since my own copy refused to load on my Win 10 computer)

I reversed the image to give me the black on white image just above.

It looks awful when enlarged as here, but when put into MS Word as an image it can be further manipulated to give an elongated diamond mesh

You can enlarge or shrink the image very easily in word and also make the diamond shapes sharper or less sharp, play with it it's fun

I made a selection of meshes, one of which will probably become the cooling grid behind the dog house, tests ensued on the remains of the Airfix test mule Sea King shell.

Sorry but it had to be put to the test

16382886754617629254315099627022.jpg

That works for me, you?

• Like 10

Bill, this looks better ad better, However, I thin you might need to look at the slope the the top of the engine housing. I think it needs to be flat, your profile had a curve in it. Ten and it may just be me, I think, the slope of the front cockpit sliding window, needs to be more upright. Check your referece'

Colin

Bill,

I have no aptitude whatsoever for taking a lump of milliput (or wood or anything else come to think of it) and carving and filing it to shape like that.  Just can’t imagine even trying.

Respect.

Been meaning to say that for a few  pages worth of posts now :D

• Thanks 1

Ouch Bill wit the nose and the length. It was looking good excepting for the curve of the upper profile. Now you have laid it over the pans/drawings, yes, a tad too long

It looks like surgery might be required! The cockpit glazing will then require adjustment. But, hey all within your capabilities!

Colin

• Haha 1

But in the meantime

P1010097-2.jpg

Clear resin used to glue both halves of this rather daft assembly together, UV added for stiffnessness

Dry fitting first, pop the glue in later when the trimming is done (thinks: do I really want to use already browning PETg or does drastic have to happen?)

P1010101.jpg

Any thoughts that stuff would fit inside were dispelled by fitting the rear bulkhead and oh boy.

The floor!

P1010094.jpg

A horse of a different safari...

Game, as they say, on.

My local Model Shop, Mike's Models tell me it is very difficult to get Squadron products in at the moment so I had to resort to eBay.

Luckily I got some white putty from them, for here.

P1010096.jpg

The garage environment beckons

Brrrr

• Like 7

The Whirly's nose is about there, filling and filing notwithstanding, after The Repair Shop probably

16383749030846075854786010207877.jpg

The undernose curve needs re-radiusing and a dab of White Stuff around the upper nose front will do me nicely up there.

And the Dragonfly needs a decent drawing sourcing so that certain alterations can go ahead.

• Like 4

I think I would be inclined to fret out the solid fuselage windows and apply them separately. I did it with a Mach2 Dragonfly a few years back; it wasn't as much hard work as it might seem.

Martian 👽

• Like 2