Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

Hmm that is a thought.

I know it's a thought because I've had it myself before.

Trying again with pictures, I have been getting cabin fever in there

P1010162.jpg

P1010164.jpg

Some tidying is due before I close it, but that ain't happening until I have put in some seating.

P1010163.jpg

And sorted out the interior paintwork finally, must buy new brushes

Cockpit working begins...

P1010166.jpg

nightol

• Like 11

The Whirlwind 10 is coming along mate,...... I have one planned myself from the Italeri kit but wasn`t envisioning so much work,..... mybe I`ll just be winging mine rather going the whole hog like you are,....... cannot wait to see what you do with this one,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Don't forget the Italeri kit is a different kettle of bananas Tony, if you have the H-19B you have found the holy grail and basically will get a different set of tasks to mine.

And a more accurate place from which to begin.

I kept being gazumped on eBay before I gave in to the inevitable and used the Airfixerupper.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't forget the Italeri kit is a different kettle of bananas Tony, if you have the H-19B you have found the holy grail and basically will get a different set of tasks to mine.

And a more accurate place from which to begin.

I kept being gazumped on eBay before I gave in to the inevitable and used the Airfixerupper.

I know mate,...... I wish that Italeri would re release their Whirlwind kits,...... I have a couple in the loft which I put aside with some conversion sets,...... I do want quite a few more though,..... we can but hope. 

Good luck with yours mate,..... I`m currently reading the excellent `Borneo Boys' and really want to build one of those HAR.10`s!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Borneo Boys is one of those "Ooh I didnt know THAT!" books.

As a kid I grew up knowing about Sukharno and the Confrontation but it was never more than an over the horizon business, hardly even heard of in the general news of the day a kid might see and contend with.

The book told me so much more than I'd realised, and fancy reading that RAF officers were off in the ulu with little oversight.

Classy, they must have thought they'd joined the Regiment un-noticed.

Anyway the book has me thinking in terms of modelling some of the Confrontation Air Force and this is it, number two.

Belvedere done already see. :)             

Anyway, I digressed sorry, here is where I am.

I have to get on with closing up the fuselage, so seats to be built.

This is the start of the starboard seats that even a contortionist will not get inside.

Silver frame with a paper seat strip, blue but in real life away from flash photography, darker.

16342224927575982322200413558215.jpg

The cockpit centre console is begun but not yet finished.

But the rear wall is close enough now

1634222572089101361346110816272.jpg

Port wall fittings for possibly tomorrow but having had a biopsy today sitting still modelling is an issue too far for a day or so.

When all is done I can close up and begin sticking other exciting stuff on...

• Like 9

Watching all these disparate elements slowly track toward each other is a real joy Bill.  It’s amazing how all the parts are there even now. Even paint.  Paint and milliput and glue and sanding all blurring into one. Eventually we all know the focus will  become sharp and you’ll have another perfect example of the craft.   Bloody love it. 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been non-existant this week, an unheralded and decidedly  unwelcome visit from a new acquaintance polymyalgia put me in A&E.

Twice but that is a totally nother story...

Anyway back at last at the ranch, I spent a while pondering reality and avoiding model making.

Inspiration.

Beware inspiration, it really might be your friend but is it always?

Back in the ward thinking about the problems I get through pulling this oddball shape out of PETg whilst using a small heat source from a tea light to warm and condition the said PETg I struck upon an idea.

More controlled heat is what the task requires.

This?

P1010172.jpg

Hot it up above the blower on a low setting, high would burn down the studio, then pull the compliant PETg with aplomb?

Cue noises off and burnt hand hair, flopped PETg and burnt fingertips.

And this...

P1010173.jpg

Utter failure from ruined hands and materials, a trip into vacuum hell is on the cards.

The garage calls, beckons beguilingly with its Henry Vacformer and a comfortable Midget wing to lean on.

Tomorrow now though, enuff's enuff of this kind of thing.

Tonight I shall make driver and buddy-boy's seats.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

This build seems fated to have me in new, slightly uncomfortable places so as UV setting resin looms large in other BM expositions and I didn't fancy mixing up any dilliput to rectify a mistook I made I thought I would give using UV resin as a filler a try..
I bought a small bottle of Limino Hard setting resin, originally to allow experiments with poorly fitting window gaps, (seems quite useful there) and a tiny UV torch to use to set the juice , plastered some around a big dollopsworth of missing Milliput and lit up the sky, UVwise.

P1010175.jpg

Set already, wow!

Leaving that for gaps in progress I then moved into the cockpit.  Allow me to present yet another failure of a process.

The Airwaves Whirlwind set, mostly 'tis true aimed towards building an HAS22 of Her Maj's Royal Navy has some legacy parts that will suit a HC10, namely internal cockpit parts for any Whirly including the floor and IP.

And the seats with finely detailed suspension cords added to the frame works.

Lovely jubbly except you really need to be a soldering person.

I'm obviously not one of those.

P1010177.jpg

You get a back panel to solder to the bent up edged seat pan, if you can solder.

I cannot solder little jobs to save my life...

So I bought in to Plan D (from out...)

I am basically a plastic modeller so...

P1010178.jpg

Make the things from plastic of course.

Backrests made from Evergreen rod, did I ever tell you I love Evergreen 0.020 rod? NO? What's the matter with me?

To the flimsy (very,very, very flimsy) frames two sheets of 0.005 plasticard were glued in place and a couple of 0.080 pieces were carved to suit the seat pans and cushions.

Stuck together a small smudge of UV resin was bonded into the hinge area and zapped, that should give me strength for the next bit, paint the frames gloss black and then paint the seat cushions in a kind of oatmeal colour, yes we have photygraphs.

No sheepskin over hard plastic for these guys.

P1010179.jpg

Also vaguely oatmealy the seat back cushions sit cammed up against the oatmeal build bench so you can hardly even notice them.

The IP from Airwaves sits ready for dial and gauge detailing soon, the shroud is very nicely done on the etch sheet.

They will get used on the job.

Inside the cabin, funny how that green does not show to my eyeballs, seats have been arranged for PAX with a row of seats across the front wall and two rows along the sides.

I can remember the HAR10 we were almost allowed to play over having the same arrangement and there are some pictures in Borneo Boys which support this.

This crown-copyright picture from the book shows the front set of seats

16351792857731120251214080328926.jpg

I digress.

The rear cushions have been added, some touching up will occur but I don't promise to add the one eight of an inch thick green piping around the seat cushion edges.

The resin filler has had initial attention as a test, I rather like it.

Expect to see it done again.

P1010180.jpg

I have added blocks of thick polycard to the back of the ip where gauges sit, I think individual gauge bodies are way beyond me these days but some visual interest might generate when you see the ip standing proud above the cowling, we'll see.

P1010181.jpg

Nuff for now?

Hope so that's yer lot for today...

• Like 14

Nice seats Bill. You know that extra work will be worth it in the end. Concerning the PE seats. I know you know and I know you know I know but…. I always use some kind of super glue (rocket blue for me) to stick these things together. I have never soldered. I can but not in a pretty way, just for wires. Just wondering why solder and not less tricky sticky stuff.  I know there will be a good answer and I’ll feel silly but I had to ask.

Johnny holiday. 

• Like 1

Nice seats Bill.

I feel better about my own etch handling inadequacy when you segue into building them from plastic.  But then feel worse about my plastic construction skills when I see how good the results are.  It’s hard being on BM sometimes :blush: :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Trying to make a sensible response when my muscles have all gone out on strike with recurring polymyathingya Johnny I usually try to glue them together too but it never sits straight or square and glue doesn't hack it for me, vis. the centre console is awry at the mo' and due to be rejigged asap.

To which end yesterday morning I gave in to siren calls to buy an etch folding tool, via eBay.

Last night just before dinner it was delivered by an Amazonian driver, out-blooming-standing service.

And I hadn't even realised I was dealing with a Prime seller, wow.

Just need the strength to open the damnded thing now and see how it operates.

Steve I love how you like to boost me out of my inadequacy feelings with your little lies, keep it up sirrah, keep it up.

I think my e=seats will improve when they get another dusting of that oatmeal colour, which i am very happy with.

Vallejo Aged White with German camo Black Brown, spot on and allows coating variation to show where the driver's situpon sat, contented with the colour match.

If finger touch returns soon I may attempt the fine piping with a finely sharpened 2B, this dark green with undertones of grey looks suitable for 2B-ing to me.

16352425205715550503696227441814.jpg

This image shows what I believe to be my little yellow friend in Hendon, tucked in behind the co-driver's cyclic is the elusive rotor brake

Most of the i.p. is compatible with the panel on the Airwaves etch sheet so I am definitely using it.

• Like 3

Slight modifications to the i.p. give me this, I like it and will be using it.

16352621560456135838176581545741.jpg

After fitting what I suspect are panel lights up into the upper shroud.

16352425205715550503696227441814.jpg

Longish black tube looking doohickeys up top along the shroud.

• Like 10

Thanks guys, any idea why I decided to add this to the build?

16352658892544973012875836143309.jpg

I mean, what IS that lump for?

The entire front, well in the indestructions they invite wholesale removal of all the front end to replace it with a clear-ish front end..
Invitations offered for advice herein...

16352659606623890423299366828580.jpg

What's bin did and what's been hid?

• Like 3