Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

I'm trying but it isnt promising, cockpit details I mean.

You may recall I went in search of the rotor brake at Hendon, and even with diligent searching I couldn't find one?

Well I contented myself  that the rotor brake function could have been a factor imposed by using the basic rotor head gearbox a passage in a book said was automatically engaged or disengaged.

Seems not if  this passage in Borneo Boys is to be believed...

1633100234332864621238983523027.jpg

Time for more research huh?

I wonder if @bootneck could find it out for us at Weston On The Mud?

I will have to ask him, in the meantime some more innards work has been begun.

Basic floor and rear bulkhead in.

16330999976958251403267156288515.jpg

And confirmed to fit.

16331000709125800527583565559221.jpg        

The first diamond pattern soundproofing added to the back wall prior to adding the bits that sit atop it all.           

A photo I have shows the diamond patterned stuff to be silvery but it won't surprise me if green gets in here someplace.  :)    

The buck I moulded the canopy on my other Whirly has surfaced exactly where I expected, I have been repolishing and reshaping the resin buck.

Fairly happy with this                                                                                                                                                                                                             16331014638682419458238310462278.jpg     

16331015410272230158068197927773.jpg                      

That looks fair to adequate, par for the course anyway.

• Like 7

On 9/25/2021 at 6:08 AM, Bigdave22014 said:

Mayhaps this would encourage  manufacturers to expand their range of such aerodynamically challenged flying things? I'd love to see what Tamiya could do to a Walter or a Sea King.

Aerodynamically challenged?  Wash your mouth out, young man!

But if Tamiya were ever to issue a 1/48 (or bigger…!) Sea King a) I would eat my hat and b) I’d be in heaven.

I am shamefully late to a new Billocopter, so please forgive me.  If I understood your question right, Bill, I cannot think of why anyone would want an automatic rotor brake; definitely applied / released by the pilot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

We couldn't even find it inside Hendon's HAR 10.

And believe me, we searched...

Museum piece, not necessarily 100 % accurate.

Nice start so far though!

Ian

• Like 3

Terry Postimg does do that occasionally nothing I can do but tell you I am still seeing them on multiple devices, if they are still missing maybe Mike the Owner's advice of clearing  the cache could do it. Sorry mate.

I have this picture in my stash

longmarston-8-1024x682.jpg

Obviously (from its title) a restoration job at Long Marston, it shows the cabin roof structure rather well if you peer into the shadows

I know there is a flat structure under the rotor gearbox but the rest of the roof bears the arch structure I tried to dummy up last time around.

P1010026.jpg

Pshaw, utter junk, I mean it doesnt get close

P1010030.jpg

But gave me a basic for the rotor's main gearbox to sit on.

P1010054.jpg

I am not doing it that way this time because I need to get the entire airframe looking right to my own eyes before I pop a roof on it.

The Airfix cabin is a touch truncated by the mis-shapen tilted cockpit cover, so to make it fit right this time I decided to make the curved roof go all the way back in a strong arch that I can close off properly.

cabin-interior1.jpg

With a better MRG structure.

Donor sections were sought.

P1010073.jpg

The roof behind the crew seats needs reinstating as an arch, how to do that huh?

Oh I know find a tubular structure with a suitable radius, how about that fuel tank from someone's random C130?

Cut out a suitable length of tube shape, no, not a wide enough radius.

Beggarit!

But there is a suitably shaped, modifiable donor in the box just there, but doomed to make Crisp hate me again  :(

Yes the old Airfix Sea King nose donor which has since been a general purpose paint mule and dogsbody has a pair of suitably curved shoulders.

They gotta go in the Whirlybird

P1010075.jpg

and a suitable piece was butchered for the cause.

P1010077.jpg

This section is going down into the garage for tube glue attachment then I will leave it to set hard.

Ciao dudes.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Terry Postimg does do that occasionally nothing I can do but tell you I am still seeing them on multiple devices, if they are still missing maybe Mike the Owner's advice of clearing  the cache could do it. Sorry mate.

Looks like it's down to the OS version on my Mac, not Postimg specifically. My Mac OS went out of support at the turn of midnight on 30/09. It's also stopping me seeing Scalemates now from that Mac, and probably over the colurse of time others, but I'm typing this from my small Windows laptop, where all is well! Need to sort that Mac!

And so now that vision is restored (although this laptop screen is much smaller) I can say that this complex buck work is impressive, and now we are even using a Sea King doner nose no less!

Great stuff

Terry

• Haha 1

No don't tell Crisp I'm using a nose please, this is a redundant upper fuselage from an already dead one.

Tell him that and I can envisage getting a kick from Das Boot, not looking forward to that I tell 'ee.

This is the structure I am going to fake up, seen in a rather sad picture of decay.

16331691527047437006487050092514.jpg

As you see it needs a bit of fabricating but it's going to be far better this time.

For all my most diligent searching I still haven't seen this gottverdamte rotor brake though.

Fake it with a pseudo roof handled doohdah like the Wessex has?

Might have to if I don't get the real thing by, maybe Tuesday.

• Like 3

sheesh.  You're taking no prisoners on this build are you Bill.   

A good move though - that choice is going to give you what you're looking for internally as well as providing a sound base for the rooftop works later on.

• Thanks 1

This week's edition of "What's stirring down in the lab?" includes How Far Can You Stretch An Idea?

16331876519038130191609860922197.jpg

And How Far Should You...?

16331892300945243130181565414838.jpg

Also in the lab today

How Clear Will Resin Stay If You Do It Harm With Abrasives?

16331893347354046560036070383081.jpg

First off cure some window experiments with Limino Clear resin, then illuminate...

16331888990195270751766415601080.jpg

Then attack with abrasives to see how hard the windows got, One window was the oddball effort from Airfix with built in dents and ripples the other a piece of CD case, thanks to @CedB, cut and filed to fit the enlarged (I had to move it forwards, remember?) back window panel.

Both were infilled and backfilled with the resin so I can give polishing resin a try, having been significantly useless at polishing superglue under the same conditions, we shall see

For the canopy moulding I used a pull technique rather than 'plunge' but feel free to refer to either name.

The working version will be PETg I think, 'acos I am almost out of the favourite thin acetate packaging material.

Crusaded digits time methinks. 🤞

• Like 7

Found it!

The rotor brake is fixed to the input shaft to the main rotor gearbox and operates with a lever on top of the centre console.

Or so it says on a Flight type diagram I just found.

Pictures coming tomorrow.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, perdu said:

And How Far Should You...?

16331892300945243130181565414838.jpg

Also in the lab today

Hells bells that’s bloody impressive. Excuse my French.

Here’s me spending the afternoon with new fangled printer thingies and here you are doing this, like that! I do wish I had your skills Bill.  Oooh by the way I found you another picture of Brummie bus blue and cream. I’ll pop it on tother thread for you. 🙌

Johnny

• Thanks 1

I did say the rotor brake is on top of the centre console but that is slightly incorrect, it's a lever on the side of the console (with gurt great label on it  ROTOR BRAKE) with a Y shaped handle on top seen here alone on the image of a single pilot machine's cockpit.

x-HB-XDS-10-6404261-HAB-jpg-pagespeed-ic

This one looks as if it might be a reddish plastic handle but in RAF service they seem to be black material

Black to the newer machine, this seems to be a civil operated Whirlywind. SE-HGZ?

Did I say newer?

Built in 1958!😲

SE-HGZ2011-10-26-19-12-47-display-7777.j

When I zoom in on the original picture I can read rotor brake on the legend facing the crew, I am happy with that.

It goes in the 'pit painted black so we dont see it...

• Like 7

I am not going to include invisible at this scale ribs between each stiffening strut, so here is my lower front bulkhead about to take up its forever home.

P1010082.jpg

This will do for in here

P1010085.jpg

I havent mentioned the Airwaves set yet ('cept in passing) and I am not sure how much of this will get in the game but the floor with its proper sized cutouts is a definite.

P1010087.jpg

So the forward depth of the bulkhead is decided by my mate Andrew's work back in the eighties when Airwaves were attempting stuff nobody else had. Cheers Andy.

The upper bulkhead and fuselage roof portion will be measured off the back of the foot hole positions, then I will build the innards and MRGB and fit out the controls.

Airwaves even gave me yaw pedals with the proper brake pedals on the etch sheet.

• Like 8

This looks good so why dont I want to use it?

P1010087.jpg

Anyway, all that gubbins isnt right so of it comes.

Now where are we?

Oh yes, upper fuselage roof completion ahead?

P1010088.jpg

Well maybe but still no cigarillo?

P1010090.jpg

OK, es possible no?

Er no...

longmarston-8-1024x682left-console-side.

The lovely semisculpted rear panel sits much higher than that in real life.

:(

P1010091.jpg

Try this with a reduced height panel.

P1010092.jpg

Looks much better, how about from where alone it will be visible?

P1010096.jpg

That'll do, paint the innards soon after finishing the cab for the crew.

Cockpit next.

• Like 7

Looks much better, but the lower surface of the central beam is not a straight line all the way, it flattens off for maybe the rear third of its length.

I know you want it right....

Ian

On 02/10/2021 at 17:07, perdu said:

This week's edition of "What's stirring down in the lab?" 🤞

"Come up to the lab and see what's on Bill's slab. I see you quiver with antici...............................................pation.

(With apologies to Frank N Furter)

The Martian Horror Picture Show 👽

• Haha 3