Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

33 minutes ago, perdu said:

I heard him come through the gate and rose to reach the window handle and my overlapping stomach filled shirt rolled the model out of the 'front of bench danger zone', straight to the floor.

You plonker, Rodney!

I fully understand the problem though.

On a separate note, those mesh decals look fantastic. Nice out-of-the-box thinking there!

Ian

• Like 1

Droop stops to stop Crisp nagging

P1010029.jpg

Well OK that does not show droop stops but does describe the almost hopeless and feeble attempts I made at the job.

Poor but look up there on the evergreen packet, three little t shapes which will be my last attempt on this model.

This is it.

P1010030.jpg

This will go down into the paint shop for its coats of Medium Sea Grey , Dark Green and Black then I will mask up the tail rotor and get on with the next stumbling block.

Namely the main undercart rear legs which give Whirly a very squatassed stance.

In the mean time here is today's lack of progress shot

P1010032.jpg

Cabin access now provided Colin.

P1010033.jpg

Minor tidying of the Light Aircraft Grey edges will ensue, shout if I forget please.

P1010035.jpg

SIHRSC scars, They have to go dont they?

Doh, they hardly show in plein aire but on a photograph WHAMMMMMMY

Better to find that before I waste very expensive decal sheets on the model.

Droop stops look OK though, phew.

I do have to evaluate whether the little counter stop doofers need to go in there, with their little dayglo warnings.

Probably going to have to aren't I Crisp?

P1010036.jpg

:( 

P1010037.jpg

Just spotted the location point for the rear starboard cable of the underslung load gear is missing, that can be attacked too.

Oh well, busy day again...

• Like 13

The rotor head is looking better and better, Bill :clap: 

59 minutes ago, perdu said:

SIHRSC scars, They have to go dont they?

I don't know, they are only visible at an angle, with strong light and photographic macro effect. They certainly don't show up here:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

P1010036.jpg

Actually, they are totally invisible from this shot.

Ciao

• Like 1

Really clever and effective solution to the nose mesh Bill, and the mesh decals are really effective; respect for the rotor head thingummy too.

Oh and for good measure I’m with Giorgio on the alleged SIHRC scarring…

• Like 1

Not sure which one of these to pick so I picked both.   (Wow!)

On 14/01/2022 at 09:13, perdu said:

time here is today's lack of progress shot

P1010032.jpg

Cabin access now provided Colin.

P1010033.jpg

Minor tidying of the Light Aircraft Grey edges will ensue, shout if I forget please.

What another inspiring catch up. Bill that rotor head is something else. I was going to say that all that work and greeble action looks good under primer but now under camo it’s even better.  Brilliant work. Have another pint! 

Johnny. 

• Thanks 1

Later on, after dinner be OK Johnny?

Today it was playtime, can you see what it is yet... ?

1642261578785854207575566740033.jpg

Yup an attempt at pulling a blown window out of thin acetate

Put a former hole into a closed box and add a small syringe to supply 'suck'

Get a sheet of acetate hot and floppy (ooer Ced, where the heck are thee lad?) and drop onto the box's hole and pull air out via the syringe.

And get these as the product

16423446996426466560515693706720.jpg

Unfortunately I left air passages round the cut out (Because the idea was to reuse the cut out the other way round for the other side) so I ended up helping the syringe with a gentle finger over the hole as I pulled the syringe plunger out.

I won't pretend to be upset because the job got done.

16423447453656215099418989031576.jpg

I trimmed the sheets and ended up with a few (always prey for the floor monster, mine's a phoney plank floor but things still vanish) cut outs for the cockpit window/door devices.

Mesh, mesh round the rotor gear shaft and wobblybludgering bits.

16423486448367368718183172817928.jpg   

Not quite as pretty yet as the actual mesh but I think we'll be OK with this.

Not so OK the undercarriage.

16423486933831591892094726996720.jpg

I am very unhappy with this droopy set up and new brass versions are under consideration thank yew!

Yuck horrid.

16423487435656027048914926810293.jpg

Now pi = a bendy bit of brass toobing, minus a dianogal wibble wotsit and add twenty degrees for luck.

No of course you are absolutely correct, I am bebuggered with working out mathematics so I will just try, try and try again. 

'Raging against the dying of the legs' as the Welsh Wordy Wizzard put it a while back.

Where's my tube of brassy offcuts from the spark eroding factory works?

Ah yes, got it...

• Like 8

Bit of both Alan, I reckon I will need to make new brass swing arms for the rear (familiar story?) and make new shock rams for it.

The front legs are OK for some of the pictures I have with a lightly loaded aircraft but I may cut them back later.

We'll see.

• Like 3

Wow Bill, droop stops in 72nd scale, you are a wizard, masterful. They were fiddly enough in 48th on my H-34 build. Then before Crisp mentions it, tell him you have the micro springs for them on order. A point of not and probably too late to do anything about it now. The spider from the main gearbox has only three legs, so not even half an arachnid!

Colin

• Thanks 1

As we know Colin nothing is too late to fix.

Except springs on droop stops in 72th scale., paint will suffice after I work out whether the dayglo indicating counterweight dooberries NEED putting in.

I thought the Spider showed four legs on the gearbox images but since they are only held on with tiny gobules of cockpit glue it will be easy enough to eliminate one and modify it, which corner?

Must get up early again, must learn to photograph celestial objects with binos better too, this almost full moon was setting down behind the local trees this morning at seven o'clock

Nice to see

P1010039.jpg

Better to show you if I can get the hang of the game.

Bad stance needs correcting

P1010042.jpg

Working on the wheels and arms now.

Aeroclub tube with Albion Alloys brass tube down inside and a new swing arm is coming along nicely.

P1010045.jpg

Do you see that little rectangular but rounded-off piece of dark plastic?

Right hand tail plane keeps dropping off, time to drill and pin...

Doh.

• Like 6

Time to take stock

The new trailing arms, brass reinforced as they are, have been left to settle and given a few minor tweaks to make alignment OK

So as they were OK I have just made a pair of shock tubes to hold them off the ground, these have been given semi replica joints and when the wheels are on they will also get the small brake units added with the brake pipe laid along the trailing arm like the real thing has.

The starboard leg will also get the Schermuerly mounts on their two unit base, tempted by the RAF Museum's crafty use of the canvas cover to hide the gubbins from prying fingers (and eyes)

Anyway since we 'had the men in' yesterday nothing got done then, now I present to you the left leg and arm with the eye fitting at the bottom just like the real thing

16425831922372897063180838468377.jpg

Scope, I believe for paint restoration here methinks

From aft

16425831410209143664370324220892.jpg

This fairly accurately copies the real thing without too much deviation, so my OCD is quite mollified now after the collapsing things of the other day, the little axle extensions towards midships will be getting additional tie down rings

And probably stickers to tell the world what they are for  :)

Right side, for balance

Remember the flare fitting will be added here later, maybe covered in green canvas even...

16425830421444356200695236398500.jpg

More paint to fix.

adieu    for now

• Like 8