Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

Dragonfly in cockpit fitting out bay yesterday

P1010001.jpg

Getting some oddball etch from the kit, nice yaw pedals tho'.

And as you can tell Whirly is in the paint shop after the riggers fitted the tail boom foot.

P1010002.jpg

All the rest of this post is to show a little (very little) progress with the rotor head detail.

Although Colin said the rotor head detail should not have the circular plate I cannot find RAF HAR10s without it, even the returned to flight HAR10 has the system so I had to bow to photographic judgement and make up a suitable imitation.

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

And from below

A circle of polycard, a ring cut from Aeroclub tube and three radial spokes of Slaters plastic strip, glue and add copious cyano then when dry file the radiussed clearance groove which allows the swash plate to clear the stationary spiders on the rotor head gear.

This is where I am heading

P1010211.jpg

Yes Crisp, full droop stop spring fitting is intended

5-Ace-Hendon-131.jpg

5-Ace-Hendon-139.jpg

I am off to give myself another hendilesson in Fusion, I intend nailing that beast to the wall.

Hmm thinks...better add green to the Whirly too.

Busy day, much to do.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, giemme said:

That rotor head looks stunning already! :worthy: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, lots more to do before my droops get stopped.

That circular plate needs thinning at its edge and I still have to mock up the cyclic and collective levers at the mucky end, then make a mesh cover so you can't see anything.

Not an easy contraption.

😲 😄😄

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hendie said:

I have to agree with Giorgio on the rotor head. As much as the rest of the build is stunning, that rotor head is a work of art

Following the master, as before Alan.

Thanks

• Like 1

So, there's green

There's mistakes

And there's results.

16418287419842599250084187315694.jpg

16418287754214583684550808015106.jpg

16418288082856870094905924376388.jpg

Much rectification to do, green to be added where the masking made it too faded or ripped away layers as at the windscreen but basically no more than getting lines right again, this time in colour.

The eyebrow windows have a savage amount of bleed though but a dab with acetate should cure that.

The pilot and his oppo can have their doorways opened out too and I can get on with making the sliders for them.

Cabin door is sitting downstairs awaiting a dab of Blutack to mask the upper corner to suit then it can go on as can the newly made front undercarriage and the adapted rear legs.

Time to get on with the rotor gear too    

Then make the 225 sqn nose badge, two sabres imposed on a fouled anchor and begin decalling a Whirly.                                                                                                                                             

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, giemme said:

Bar the rectifications, the overall looks really good! :clap: 

Ciao

I am very pleased with the 'looking through a mesh darkly' effect on the nose, seems near enough just what I was looking for.

Some of my masking was askew there so that is in for correction too.

Quite pleased with the overall look of the beastie.

• Like 2

Glad you like her boys, on with the motley.

More rotor gear done today in tiny increments.

P1010010.jpg

Blade incidence horns added carved from a triangular plastic extrusion I picked up at the LMS on a whim, when sliced at an angle by my Swann-Morton chisel blade it took a decent curve and looks just right for the horn's curved? angle? Oh heck its shape.

Atop the hb pencil in the foreground is the spider getting its legs and being kept safe in the process.

When that dried it was time to marry the parts.

P1010014.jpg

And trim the rods.

P1010017.jpg

Next I needed to find a donor for the stationary spider, I know, that old bomb-looking thing will do.

P1010018.jpg

Could be a bomb, could be an auxiliary tank, but now it is part of my rotor head gear.

P1010022.jpg

That will suffice.

P1010025.jpg

You think?

I do NOT intend adding the control pushrods, in this scale I think they will detract although I may manage to find a mesh to fill the spaces between the pushrod places.

Next will be build the rear undercarriage leg assembly, not quite what Airfix gave us though.

And droop stops...

There's stuff to do.

• Like 13

On 1/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, perdu said:

I am very pleased with the 'looking through a mesh darkly' effect on the nose, seems

So you should be Bill, it looks fantastic. As for that rotor head though, you've really excelled yourself on that!

Have a pint on me!

Ian

• Like 2

I put  a little Xtracrylics on the rotors, looks better even though we are still awaiting droop stops

16419988415599005866232248296910.jpg

But found that just 'cos you could be happy, you shouldn't.

16419987854416793732023235895300.jpg

I might be prepared to blame this on the window cleaner* but in fact I am just b-ddiddy clumsy. 

I have had one or two minor 'not bad' moments today though, do you remember me photocopying some mesh grids from my elderly Mecanorma catalogue?

I got the first of many decals on the Whirly, two pieces of one of my 'grid mesh' decals were put to the test.

Here on the back of the doghouse where the oil cooler intake sits

16420007494585974846553703189446.jpg

Supposed to look like holes in the metal of the casing, gets my appro.

And also under the nose sits a triangular mesh opening, a bit like this.

1642000789040361856787007074413.jpg

The fin is back on with the assistance of twenty year old 5 minute epoxy, I expect it will fall off if the 'poxy is as bad as I expect.

:(

Ho hum

I still have to knock out three droop stops for this and carry on with the Dragginfly's bits...

*The window cleaner uses a pole and pipe and I prefer having the window shut before he nudges it shut with his pole.

I heard him come through the gate and rose to reach the window handle and my overlapping stomach filled shirt rolled the model out of the 'front of bench danger zone', straight to the floor.

😬

• Like 3
  • Sad 5