Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

2 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm just glad I have a printer

Nudge, nudge, hint hint....

and you could see it on your 'puter screen too, so it would be in focus!

Looking good so far though!

Ian

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Nudge, nudge, hint hint....

and you could see it on your 'puter screen too, so it would be in focus!

Looking good so far though!

Ian

Ok you miladdo, behave.

Out of viscus or not at least I can actually drive a pencil, file and scraper.

One of them thar disputer programs would simply stop me dead, this way I gets to create my way.

Incidentally I too am glad Alan and variously you others have printers, I  can rejoice in watching the first real advance in model making since sailors whittled bones into 'bottleships'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I always say "no model of mine survives first Giemme-ing* without the need for tactical reworking!"

This one proves the point, although it had been primered in Humbrol Grey Priming finish earlier the first coat of Tamiya Royal Grey showed up a medieval field trench layer of unwanted and indeed unneeded grooving.                  

A fair number of inadvisable lumpy bits too

P1010204.jpg

But it also pleased me, minor grievances notwithstanding I have decided I do like it in grey-green-light grey, thanks god for stopping me painting it yellow...

P1010205.jpg

As you may recall I was entertaining an idea of dropping the kit rotors onto the helo but frankly, I ain't a fan so I continued giving a scratch a rub.

Savlon is commended for itchy scratches, but in this case I was happy getting the arms right instead of using emollients.

P1010206.jpg

Here is my comparison piece, the kit's upper yoke against the ones I am using, which were measured off the scale drawings.

Look to be a third larger although on a model they don't look awful, if it wasn't for my OCD it would have been OK to use them, ho hum.

Now this it was not a walk in the park, piecing the rotor blades onto the pivotty pins one at a time

P1010208.jpg

But once the first one was in place it better, I did have to cut a slope onto the peg to allow variations in drilled positions but, kinda dispirited about that as I wanted it to just slip on unaided.

Bleugh

P1010210.jpg

All pegged now, still have a decison about the blades, use them tidied up or make new ones?

This kit which I 'won' (yes won) on eBay arrived in a plastic bag with the famously sparse Royal Navy penguin transfer sheet and no box but did have three rotor blades as per spec 'xcept the blades were bent almost backwards-upside-down-over-inwards.

I am tempted to make new blades but since I read the Dragonfly had modified Whirlwind blades I am pondering making six...

With the rotor blades now pinched together I will be making a start on the swash plate and assorted gubbinses as here depicted in a fine museum piece.

P1010211.jpg

Now I did consider making the pairs of lightening holes in the under web piece.

Nah, not going to.

It will only weaken the three arms if I do and I don't think we will have in flight harmonics to worry about.

:)

Oh look a Whirlwind fuselage and three rotor head as a closing shot.

P1010212.jpg

• Like 13

• perdu changed the title to Whirlwind HAR10 (HC10?) and Dragonfly HR5

Satisfied my since-christmas-helicoptery-thingy update need there Bill.  Fine trad-modelling, if I might be permitted to join the chorus of approval.

S’pect you’ll be blending in some CAD afore too long n’all ;)

• Haha 3

On 03/01/2022 at 17:35, perdu said:

in case you are new round here Giorgio, AKA @giemme always wants paint on, any time any model.

Don't you G?

I don't know what you're talking about....  :rofl2:

Impressive scratch building, Bill - who needs a 3D printer with that ability? :worthy:  :wow: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 4:32 PM, perdu said:

P1010211.jpg

Ooh, look!  Droop stops!  Now you’re talking…

Excellent be-greeblance, and to my eyes the Bill-head is coming along nicely.  Proper job!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, look!  Droop stops!  Now you’re talking…

Excellent be-greeblance, and to my eyes the Bill-head is coming along nicely.  Proper job!

Only half the set of droop stops Crisp, look no spring brackets or springs...

Lovely, traditional yet "state of the art Bill", modelling going on there with that rotor head Bill. I love it.

I plan to have a go at this 3D malarky at some point, but for now that's all quite dependant on obtaining the kit (Printer and decent windows machine for Fusion) which currently would have no proper home, until my promised new hobby area/man cave is ready. I currently share an Art studio with Mrs T. The new space is in fact a garage conversion requiring extensive building work, and most builders around here seem to have huge backlogs in availability. This summer is hopeful. In the meantime, you continue to remind me and inspire me, that the old ways are far from over!

Happy New Year!

Terry

• Like 4

The Airfix Whirlwind is a strange, complicated little beast easily suited to its oddball history I'd say.

The first one I ever built had British European Airways on the transfer sheet and no windows, oh it had the holes but no transparencies at all.

The cockpit was a collection of frames and spaces and I was thrilled with it

1164308-26866-30-pristine.jpg

Copyright © scalemates, to whom I have much gratitude.

I loved this little kit, my first 'built it myself' helicopter so can you imagine how pleased I was that Airfix eventually modified the very elderly kit and added windows, chuffed to little mintballs as they say.

One thing I didn't like was the not quite right-ness of some parts of it, I have the drawings for the S-55 as well as the Whirlwind which tell me, Mr OCD, that the tail rotor is not right for either helicopter.

That supplied in the kit, this one

16413953656676550737135000030385.jpg

Is too big for the S-55 and too small for the Whirlwind as well as being as flash loaded to beggary.

The Whirly has a slightly longer and significantly wider set of tail rotor blades so I set about producing some.

I recall Hendie being able to enlarge the control surfaces on his one, not an option here though so I made a new one and added linkages to it.

16413952851552878548006297424176.jpg

16413953338582976138670093788178.jpg

Paint, we need paint.

16413942169264907700209935090899.jpg

As you see the kit one isnt far off the length but when the flash gets removed we are looking at a really skinny thing that needs filing thin at the edges.

The Whirly herself is waiting for the thin coat of Mr Dissolved Putty to dry ready for fairing in, how long should I give it before I try to treat it with sanding sticks?

On that you can see I have added the upper door rails to the upper canopy and I have treated the blemishes to a hard time with the sanding sticks, blimey-o'reilly I do love those sanding sticks.

1641394181739266124765875686396.jpg

Ready for a drop more Light Aircraft Grey in the morning and masking for colour can begin.

Also getting closer to a decision is the Dragonfly.

16413942602287739597438819753812.jpg

Look, legs on and the bustle done for now, further bustling is not precluded though, we await paint there too.

1641394319497391767028333332063.jpg

I have not yet decided which of the two Naval colour schemes I have pictures of I will use

This?

48385643406-99ef55014c-b.jpg

Or this?

drag1.jpg

With titles on the very tail

drag2.jpg

I must say I prefer this one but the colours have me befuddled

1101139-large.jpg

Is it Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky or is it possibly Dark Sea Grey with a not-quite-Sky blue-grey?

Any assistance offered will save me from having to make do with a deadly boring silver paint job.

• Like 8

Wonderful stuff Bill - a great update. The Whirlwind is coming along like a ... well, a Whirlwind I suppose. I love what you're doing with that kit.

As for the flying dragon - if you have to besmirch it with such vulgarity, I'd go for the "it's not all silver" scheme. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, perdu said:

48385643406-99ef55014c-b.jpg

Definitely this...I think this scheme looks really snappy.  Nice variation in 2 tone (sorry cant help with the colours) and black/white and red markings.  Very nice!

I must say I am enjoying your latest update, very inspiring work indeed! 

• Thanks 1

Looking good Bill. I don't know if you have noticed, on the later marques of Whirlwind's the circular plate below the MRH disappeared, it was a three legged spider.

Colin

Thank you Colin I think this is what you mean, I am working towards an early build HAR(HC)10 which is basically this one minus the covers over the fuel vents so not anticipating using the earlier rotor head gear seen in the museum specimen case.  Chances are I wouldn't have noticed either, taking my cue from the 'MRG in a case' picture.

P1010043-2.jpg

This is the version I built for my US Marines H-19 Whirly in an early production stage and not right for this one, phew.

15693922793868782205519049722394.jpg

I need this one.  :(

What we will see is likely to be a bit wrong but enough like the MRG to pass muster in the dark.

5-Ace-Hendon-131.jpg

P1010117.jpg

Even visible on my old tattered ATC sqn photograph of XD186, but thanks to your timely intervention saved me from working up the older version which would have been easy to do if I had not heard you nudge.

This is why I post my crappy builds, so that knowledge like yours can be shared.

Cheers

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

This is why I post my crappy builds,

I must have missed those builds Bill. The ones I see are all rather splendid and inspiring!

Terry

• Like 5

I enjoy this bit more G

P1010213.jpg

Xtracrylics DSG with added flow improver, I have to cover everything grey with Maskol to stop it becoming a misty green where it isn't wanted on voyage.

Tomorrow we will see.

But now we have some movement with the Dragonfly, mostly by having to remove the main gear struts and needing to re-glue  them on now.

16416599773354196874705613168650.jpg

Bustle firmly in place, whatever the heck it is for..

16416601578844169011096420957932.jpg

Boy that flash is not helping is it?

16416601909681987862131942115109.jpg

Nicer?

16416602268893749907706180178165.jpg

Works better for me anyway, must dash.

• Like 8

On 1/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, hendie said:

Wonderful stuff Bill - a great update. The Whirlwind is coming along like a ... well, a Whirlwind I suppose. I love what you're doing with that kit.

As for the flying dragon - if you have to besmirch it with such vulgarity, I'd go for the "it's not all silver" scheme. 

Well since he’s besmirching - nay, chopping & befouling - a perfectly respectable Naval anti-submarine hubschrauber into a big-nosed camouflaged Crab thing, it only seems fair that the Dragon should be graced with a elegant Naval job.  I’d vote for the EDSG over Sky; so redolent of its time, when you were lucky if a helicopter stayed airborne at all… especially if it was a Dragonfly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5