Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

Thanks Giorgio, a little bit further on with the winch now.

P1010093.jpg

Triangular side plates added to the Evergreen extruded U section and the thin cable guide placed under the cable outlet.

Next the view the rescued bod would have.

P1010095.jpg

P1010098.jpg

Off to the paint shop with it while it is on its construction base, the trim and touch in the very end.

Then add cables and 'ook.

P1010099.jpg

This.....thing has been giving me nightmares but I think it is down to making bad decisions from the start.

Anyway it is on and the join between the transparent bits is sealed with UV setting resin.

Masking the big round corners on one side took nearly three hours on Saturday, I need another of those canopy masking sets to finish the other side, blimeyoriley it's a job annahuff!

Used the clear resin to bridge the gaps in the fuselage too, I don't expect this to be a showstopper but we'll see.

Whirly is almost done, may even be at club in a couple of weeks if I can get act and me together.

In another rare atmospheric shot for Ian I present Airwaves Sea King addenda set which is donating, generously, the posts for the HF antenna wires around the fuselage and tail.

These, being as ever, flat etch pieces are being thickened to an aerofoil section with a dribble of Canopy glue.

P1010101.jpg

I suppose these lovely little etch sets deserve a better picture, I'll get on with that later.

I understand they were intended to supplement the Airwaves Sea King set, I am not sure.

I do know Andrew gave me a bunch of them at club a few years ago, he was part of the accessory developing team at his dad's shop ED Models in Birmingham.

• Like 9

Paint's on, so's the hook.

16442523834912601592683448610198.jpg

16442524364605529814926266863251.jpg

Upper run of cable to add then it can follow the SACRU on the fuselage.

HF aerial posts on as is the stop on the landing gear strut which seems to be intended to stop aerial breakage on machines with this HF fit.

16442526612992250023889321490120.jpg

Ian sorry mate but as I was using my phone I couldn't use the tripod

Posts on both sides

16442527003448935265010862143863.jpg

And the mesh guard around the rotor gear access

16442527542778659405339046681521.jpg

Off to watch the telly now

• Like 9

Now the cargo hook cables are on the strong points

P1010106.jpg

And the hook has been phantom lashed to the strong point with invisible cargo load webbing

P1010103.jpg

Which will be added probably tomorrow

Just above the hook is a location reserved for hanging the hook out of harms way when it isnt in use, a strap and some unsailorly knots seem to do the trick, might ask @Ex-FAAWAFU for a critique when I have finished tangling mine up.

Maybe, but to be fair I am better at tangling things up with para cord.

More the kinda guy I am.

As I am nearing the end of this portion of the build I have to remember to add, the bell-crank thingy to the tail rotor head on the opposite side of the fin to the rotor.

And some grab handles so the crew can climb up the sides.

And add the aerials to the LF antennae.

If anyone can think what else I have forgotten a pint at Telford awaits the first o pop in with an important gotcha!

Beat you to it, the thin pipe that pokes through the rear window on the upper port side...

:)

• Like 8

Ah, the well-known Stokers’ Dhobi Hitch; truly a Prince among knots, and superbly illustrated under your Whirly… albeit only in concept at present.  

She’s looking great, Bill, though there was talk of a Phantom, which is rather confusing 

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ah, the well-known Stokers’ Dhobi Hitch; truly a Prince among knots, and superbly illustrated under your Whirly… albeit only in concept at present.  

She’s looking great, Bill, though there was talk of a Phantom, which is rather confusing 

Talk of a Phantom?

Really?

I don't remember that, my 'toom seems destined to become an heirloom ready for the junior members of the Perdifamille to ponder over when it is time.

Is there a picture of that fabled knot Crisp?

I'd like to get it right of course.

(Hawker build next down the pike after the Dragginfly Johnny)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The winch is in place, the underslung load hook is attached and secured to the picketing point and  the HF aerial wires are on.

P1010110.jpg

I have decided this is a sufficiency of greebling, I am at end-ex here and now for the Dragonfly full on attack.

I will expose the Whirlwind to the sunlit uplands of RFI shortly, a preview.

P1010114-2.jpg

P1010125.jpg

Sunlit uplands see?

The Dragonfly is incoming later PPP is drying as is the Maketar Canopy Survival set getting its clear varnish sealing coat.

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

I have decided this is a sufficiency of greebling

It is indeed! Giving a lot of character to the whole look! :worthy:  :clap: :clap: 

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Top notch job on the Whirlwind Bill worth all your time and trouble Stunning workmanship with outstanding attention to detail as always!

Stay safe        Roger

• Thanks 1

• perdu changed the title to Dragonfly dead in the water but Whirlwind HAR10 finished
  • 1 year later...

Blimey it's been a while...

A year, two months and about two weeks actually.

I put this aside in disgust at my bad decision making and was considering whether to start a different Dragonfly model in a few weeks but I did take a look at it, a few days ago I recall.

I woke up with a plan this morning to use the front nose panel that was one of the other choices on this kit instead of hoping to get a good clean greenhouse look by joining two vac moulded parts together, which didnt happen, by the way.

So I opened the box for the MPM Sikorsky HO3S-1 which was the base kit hoping that the nose section would be easy enough to cut out and pop on the front of the kit

Er, been inside a box in the dark for over a year but when rescued from the dark there's this

P1010303.jpg

It's brown, not transparent!

There is an interior in there, I remember being very happy with it too.

What to do?

P1010308.jpg

The whole damned kit is browned off, but nowhere near as browned off as me

So I am asking, nay entreating you, what shall I do?

Options I can see:

Bury the damned thing forever?

Make it as the makers surely must have intended, brown?

Make the clear pieces for it from a different material?

Help and advice is really needed, I am a bit downheart?  :( 

Or scavenge the good bits to stick inside my MACH Westland BEA Dragonfly which itself is transparencically challenged

P1010310.jpg

In that, clear maybe but impossible to see through.

I mean, that last picture is supposed to end up looking like this, a beautiful little machine in its simpliciity

https://i.postimg.cc/HWhfNHYY/wp495-royal-navy-westland-dragonfly-hr3-Planespotters-Net-123773-5649e29851-o1.jpg

I am not holding out much hope for that.

But this popped into view whilst I was looking at the photos I took at The Helicopter Museum, researching of course

Like, tail rotor assembly on the machine.

P1130628.jpg

I used to think the Merlin's tail rotor was complex but this was three quarters of a century ago almost, 1950s yes?

Tiny rotating bracing struts built-in, yikes

Any road up whilst studying that the orange thing behind it pushed my curiosity sideways a bit, looks like a Dragonfly tail boom...

Doesn't it?

P1130630.jpg

Have you been to this place?

It is a building full of wonders, a bit like Howard to Caernarvon "Wonderful things!"

Here on the left isn't that a Bristow Wessex?

And there just under that tail boom of this machine a really, truly scary autogyro.

And this very machine

Gives me entirely different ideas

My favourite helo from back in those days

Tutankha

P1130629.jpg

Westland's Widgeon

If I can rustle up some kind of sketches this could become the answers to a prayer huh?

• Like 5

Superb effort to get this great result out of the 1/72ish scale Airfix kit. I've toyed with the idea of building 32 Squadron's shiny grey/blue Whirlwind that was used for Royal duties back in the 70s but never quite got around to it.

• Like 1

Still pondering what to do, (without much help from you lot I note!) and looking at this

P1130629.jpg

Thinking 

Thinking

1153450-large.jpg

Kinda familiar isnt it?

Thinking, thinking...

Looky here

P1010311.jpg

Still athinkin' but ideas are germinating

P1010312.jpg

Hmm?

• Like 7

With the say-so of our buddy Heather I have beganned

16820868428944071703399790980791.jpg

Now this may never happen properly but its a 'scratch itch' build and the raw materials were just too damned raw

Look how bad the transparencies are

16820869021067398215579916615064.jpg

The tip of my Swann-Morton vanishes when brought in close to the front panel so the die is cast let us see if I can get this one anywhere huh

Design work commences.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, perdu said:

The whole damned kit is browned off, but nowhere near as browned off as me

Bill we can't have you feeling down!   Not the rightful nature of things at all! 

I know nothing about this, but perversely, could the lack of UV light when the kit has been interred be the problem here?  In which case a sojourn on your windowsill might help?

Just guessing ......... :dog:

Rob

53 minutes ago, perdu said:

(without much help from you lot I note!)

I'm still trying to work out of this is to be a Dragonfly, turning into a Widgeon, turning into a Scout  ................... :frantic:

Terry

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

With the say-so of our buddy Heather I have beganned

It seems the only sensible thing to do....

:D :D 

Ciao

• Like 1