Dragonfly to Widgeon. Who knows?

perdu

Legs better now?

P1010046.jpg

Whilst diligently studying my Fusion lessons I didn't get much done on Whirly or Dragon but this morning I cast aside the slow old laptop and began making the revised front legs and attempting to tidy the rear wheels (OK already I failed tidying, today...) and got it all together for a posture check.

Is it sitting properly now Alan?

P1010048-3.jpg

I think a lot of the surface variations will vanish after varnish, we'll see won't we...

Still attempting to remask that LAG line...

Doh

• Like 12

What do we think about this admittedly daft idea?

16428677431201902862953910873090.jpg

16428679188736353038258988832204.jpg

And this?

16428683822257875851673834816101.jpg

Still lots to do but I wanted to test the window rubbers method I espoused during Alan's Whirlybuild, before he brilliantly took the idea and ran with it to his 3D printer.

I have printed a few home brewed decals for the Whirly including a couple of goes at the 225 sqn badge which simply do not work

And I am trying out possibilities, can I add the dayglo tabs to the blade's droop stops?

Still unsure, see ya later fellows...

• Like 12

16 hours ago, perdu said:

can I add the dayglo tabs to the blade's droop stops?

If you can't Bill then there's certainly no hope the rest of us  being able to do such a thing.. 😁

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:37 PM, perdu said:

Is it sitting properly now Alan?

ah, that's much better Bill. 

21 hours ago, perdu said:

What do we think about this admittedly daft idea?

Ingenious? Creative? Superbly executed? 

All of the above.

isn't it amazing how such a small feature can add such visual impact to the overall structure?  

• Thanks 1

New daftness

1642956677024299507623295873669.jpg

Lousy far too close photograph of a duff idea but in normal viewing it isnt totally useless

It has a future, but not here, I will be whipping them off methinks.

Attempts to mask the wheels from DSPIAE cut circles

These might work out OK

16429539278481526107948956505529.jpg

But not yet either, been an unwanted duff modelling day today...

:(

Look dayglo

16429493719828777697289275960586.jpg

'bye a bit

• Like 9

Johnny wants dayglo!

Here you go Johnny, just what YOU Need for that old Airfix Whirly hiding in your stash

xr456-whirlwind-har10-of-110-sqn-kuching

xp303-whirlwind-har10-of-110-sqn-feaf-bo

I admit I thought about it but was entranced by the idea of making the 'see into' mesh nose of the earlier existence.

This one even has a tail boom from a Rescue scheme, go on go on you know you need to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Ingenious? Creative? Superbly executed? 

All of the above.

Agreed 100% :clap: Why would you wipe them off, Bill?

Dayglo looking good too 👍

Ciao

36 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100% :clap: Why would you wipe them off, Bill?

Dayglo looking good too 👍

Ciao

I am considering removing them because I misaligned the window masking before I put the paint on Giorgio as you can see here

1642956677024299507623295873669.jpg

This is what remained after the clear decal film was taken away, see the grey acrylic paint in unwanted places?

I need that gone or the black mis-shapen outlines removed.

I am at a familiar stage with this build,  begining to hate its crudity where I wanted finesse.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

This is what remained after the clear decal film was taken away, see the grey acrylic paint in unwanted places?

Got it now, 👍

Ciao

• Like 1

Looking rather spiffing Bill.

That LAG underside is quite deceptive - I thought it was sitting too high for a moment there , then realized it was the demarcation line that was confusing my senses.

Almost there now.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, perdu said:

I am at a familiar stage with this build,  begining to hate its crudity where I wanted finesse.

I’m certainly familiar with that feeling! The build looks smashing though - you would never guess that you had started from the Airfix dinosaur.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2022 at 08:43, perdu said:

xr456-whirlwind-har10-of-110-sqn-kuching

xp303-whirlwind-har10-of-110-sqn-feaf-bo

Oh Bill I’m loving that!!!!!! 🤤

On 26/01/2022 at 11:57, perdu said:

Stickering and greebiation continues.

16431950108008204937412574862020.jpg

I’m also loving this. I don’t know why but I had to go back to your first post and then double check my stash to see if this was the old Airfix 1/72 you had started with.  She looks massive in this shot.  I might be wrong but isn’t this kit coming out in the new “Classic” range this year. Lots of chances for further mods. 🤫🤔😀

Great work as always. 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I might be wrong but isn’t this kit coming out in the new “Classic” range this year.

Yes I believe it is Johnny but as with many an announcement from the Big Boys I will use snuff instead of taking that as gospel.

If it appears no doubt I will take another for old times sake, but frankly I would prefer Italeri to produce more of their H-19Bs,

Them I would have probably three of, just for potential pipeline jobbies.

A minor problem I ran into with this was that the decals from after market sources are sized to suit 1/72 scale but this is significantly smaller than...

Roundels for instance have prescribed sizes to fit Whirlwinds and so I bought after market ones, right sized roundels too big but hopefully the size imbalance does not show too much.

Whadda you think?

16433845748467711819994198472495.jpg

16433833420004620371225805455686.jpg   

Bugger busy sever message, hope it clears soon because it is a photo of this actual machine in the air.

I have replicated the actual emblems and badges on her side and nose, 225 sqn's anchor and crossed swords on the front and on the cabin door the emblems of the Ghurka Rifles who were frequent customers in Borneo.          

16433834086677134987419450361395.jpg         

I still need to sort out the serials, make the windscreen wipers and add antennae, lamps, stuff like that.

And pop in the Gnome jet pipe and add scissor links to the nosewheel legs, finish remaking the winch and adding the mesh to the rotor gearbox covers.

Pitot, did somebody mention the pitot?

It is there on the desk in the bigger picture picture.                        

• Like 8

Looking very suave now Bill.

When I was doing my looking at lots of pictures stuff I did notice that the rounders were not all the same diameter across the board. Maybe some squadrons were metric? :D

It works for me though

• Like 1

I would just not display it next to the picture! There is a relative size difference if you look at the two side by side, sure, but on its own the roundel does not look out of proportion to the model so looks “right”.

Though the only person who can really call it is you. If you do change it, make sure you’ve got better sized roundels before it all kicks off…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I would just not display it next to the picture! There is a relative size difference if you look at the two side by side, sure, but on its own the roundel does not look out of proportion to the model so looks “right”.

Though the only person who can really call it is you. If you do change it, make sure you’ve got better sized roundels before it all kicks off…

Regards,

Adrian

Goes to show pedants do get it wrong too.*

Me I mean...

When I was deciding which airframe I was modelling the regimental badges on the cabin door sold me on 329 and I chose roundels as near  as I could to the right one, but I was using a different squadron machine for stencil references.

It had a larger diameter roundel which closely fitted the tail 'web' unlike 329 which does not!

I found some allegedly 27 inch roundels which seem a better fit on the Airfix tail and have swapped them.

Still haven't fitted the serials but am searching for slightly 'thicker font' letters than the Xtradecals ones.

Would you believe it Modelart GEN005 has the slightly thicker font I need but the number 2 is the wrong shape?

Xtradecals do give both styles of number 2 but in a slightly 'less beefy' looking digit.

Hmm, compromise in the studio or find my old Almarks letter decals which might have the missing link and I have just decided I don't like the lower Ghurka badge, it should be a much lighter grey.

Hand painting time beckons...

*Thanks for noticing the size discrepancy Adrian, really do appreciate it.

• Like 1