1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - released

Homebee

I remember building the old Revell kit eons ago!

Been dreaming of a new kit for years.

Drooled over a couple of scratchbuilds, 1/48th & 1/18th!!!!!!!!

LoneStar announced they were doing a 1/48th scale model, resin?

But this is just incredible! 

A 1/35th Tarhe! I have a M551 Sheridan & a 105mm Howitzer in the stash as potential cargo!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Two boxings announced in 2022

- ref. 53054 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe - US heavy helicopter - 100% new molds - release expected in Q3 2022 

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM53054

- ref. 53055 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe - with BLU-82/B "Daisy Cutter" bomb

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM53055

TarheA.png

Tarhe.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - box art - release Q3 2022

Now that we know it's real can we start a campaign to get ICM to consider 48th and 72nd.  35th will be impressive but huge.  I had the opportunity to see the NVNG in action and it'd a fantastic machine.  It will be really interesting to see what this looks like in the flesh?!  Should be a very good model based on ICM's recent releases.  Cheers

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, Homebee said:

Pre-box art ?

Nope. Fake based on Don Greer's illustration from Jim Mesko's book "Airmobile. The Helicopter War in Vietnam" published by Squadron Signal Publications in 1984, page 37.

Airmobile-037s.png.

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
Typo
  • Like 2

On 26/12/2021 at 14:39, Violet Club said:

I hope that they will scale down this kit in 1/72 as the Revell kit is very old now.

My thoughts exactly. 1:35 is close to ridiculous. I'm in the Netherlands. If more than two people here would buy this kit, we would have to invade Belgium to find the space to display them.

• Haha 21

7 hours ago, GeejeeZ said:

My thoughts exactly. 1:35 is close to ridiculous. I'm in the Netherlands. If more than two people here would buy this kit, we would have to invade Belgium to find the space to display them.

Belgium is rather small compared to the Netherlands…I would try to invade Germany to put these on display😉

cheers, Jan

• Haha 9

• 4 months later...

I have been begging for a 1/48th kit for years.  But never saw one!  I just pre-ordered this one!  I have a few other 1/35 choppers (Blackhawk, UH-1V, AH-1Z Viper), I will figure out a way to display it!  I might hang them all from the ceiling!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jon Bryon said:

Do we actually have an independent source to verify this story? It does seem somewhat implausible a subject/scale and strange that ICM don't seem to have released any news themselves...have they?

Jon

It is in the 2022 cataloge.  And I just pre-ordered it.  So I would say it is verified.  Besides, is that scale really any more implausible than a 1/35 Chinook?  The Chinook is 98 ft length vs 88 for the CH-54.  The rotor area of the CH-54 is 72 feet, compared to the Chinook;s 60 feet, but the Chinook has two of them.  So it seems to me that the CH-54 in 1/35 is entirely plausible, and won't even be the largest helicopter available in that scale.

Edited by Bo Van Lee
Added to the post
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Having seen the scratch built one at Telford, it's humungous.

Having had the privilege and pleasure of being shown around and inside an Erickson S-64 humungous only begins to describe the sense of the real thing in a way that the Chinook as mentioned above does not quite capture although to be honest while 1/48 would be a winner with me experience with 1/35 (or more usually 1/32) aircraft although not vehicles have never really done it for me.

• Like 1

Have to confess I would have much preferred 1/48 only because of the room it will take up - that rotor span will be something else. Even so I’ve preordered one and if they do a civil variant will no doubt buy more (it’s only my opinion but the civil schemes are much more interesting than the military - not often I say that!) It’s also about time we had a dedicated book about the Skycrane.

• Like 1

I too would love to see this in 1/48

I have never understood why helicopters are made in 1/35 scale.
The only reason I can come up with is for the diorama builders to include a helo in a dio together with some tanks or something.
But to my knowledge I have never seen such a dio.

A helicopter is an aircraft after all and as such they should make them in the popular aircraft scales.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

(...) working on the premise that ICM are retooling their 1/48th AH-1GCobra, I think I'll wait.

The future ICM 1/48th AH-1G Cobra should be a rebox from the Special Hobby kit just as Special Hobby 1/32nd AH-1G Cobra kit is in fact a rebox from the ICM kit. Special Hobby and ICM seem to be working together.

V.P.

19 hours ago, Homebee said:

The future ICM 1/48th AH-1G Cobra should be a rebox from the Special Hobby kit just as Special Hobby 1/32nd AH-1G Cobra kit is in fact a rebox from the ICM kit. Special Hobby and ICM seem to be working together.

V.P.

Hi, I've seen the 32nd Cobra kit and am impressed by the quality and level of detail. However, it's just too big, hence my wanting/preferring a 48th scale kit.

Colin

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, GeejeeZ said:

Surely Limburg would suffice?

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about the dearth of updates; so, I emailed ICM last week. This is the reply I received earlier today:

Thanks for your message.

We plan to release kit 53054 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe, US heavy helicopter on the IV quarter of this year.

We will post updated news on our social media and website, stay tuned.

Have a nice day!

Best regards, Daryna

Support manager

• Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - box art - release Q4 2022
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - box art - release December 2022 ?