1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - released

Homebee

On 5/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, flarpen said:

I too would love to see this in 1/48

I have never understood why helicopters are made in 1/35 scale.
The only reason I can come up with is for the diorama builders to include a helo in a dio together with some tanks or something.
But to my knowledge I have never seen such a dio.

A helicopter is an aircraft after all and as such they should make them in the popular aircraft scales.

Maybe they want a leviathan sized helo, but they dont want to do a Mi-26.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:06 PM, Violet Club said:

I hope to see it scaled down in 1/72 !

Whats you problem with the Revell 1968 kit? :D

• Haha 1

Hi Borisz,

The 1968 Revell kit is old and quite difficult to find now (and it contains only the hospital version). A new kit would be welcome in 1/72 ! After all, we have plenty of F-14s in this scale... Why not something different ?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Hi Borisz,

The 1968 Revell kit is old and quite difficult to find now (and it contains only the hospital version). A new kit would be welcome in 1/72 ! After all, we have plenty of F-14s in this scale... Why not something different ?

Hi Violet Club,

I was just kidding, ironicaly.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/35 - Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe by ICM - box art+3D renders - release February 2023
16 hours ago, Skymonster said:

If only they’d do a version with a tank, a snorkel and Erickson Air Crane decals… Wishful thinking maybe.

Not sure all what that involves BUT the way that ICM get the most out of releasing multi boxed versions, it may just happen. Just look at the variations on the 1/48 Invader.

It’s massive, way too big, absolutely ridiculous size and scale and I’ve no where to put it. That said I couldn’t resist preordering one and if they do an Erickson bird I’ll get one of those as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 5 weeks later...

Why 1/35th scale? Is a helicopter a tank? I always thought 1/32nd scale was the accepted large-scale for aircraft. I'm mystified as to why so many helicopter kits now are in that b*****d 1/35th scale. Are they more likely to be used in dioramas with tanks? Frankly I'd love to go back in time and punch Mr. Tamiya in the mouth for doing his tanks in that wretched box scale and starting all this nonsense.

Angrily,

Jason

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Learstang said:

Why 1/35th scale? Is a helicopter a tank? I always thought 1/32nd scale was the accepted large-scale for aircraft. I'm mystified as to why so many helicopter kits now are in that b*****d 1/35th scale. Are they more likely to be used in dioramas with tanks? Frankly I'd love to go back in time and punch Mr. Tamiya in the mouth for doing his tanks in that wretched box scale and starting all this nonsense.

Angrily,

Jason

I have asked the very same.
Don't think I have ever seen a diorama with tanks and helicopters combined.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

Angrily,

Jason

Amen to that. As a plane builder, 1/35 just won't do. Though I'd snap up a 1/48 version as that's the only other scale I buy or model in these days. 

I wish ICM well with its Tahre. It should draw a breath when completed. Quite an accomplishment.   

Tony

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flarpen said:

I have asked the very same.
Don't think I have ever seen a diorama with tanks and helicopters combined.

I think this discussion is as old as the first releases of MRCs helicopter range in the early or mid-1990ies.

One should keep in mind that the majority of all 1:35 helicopter models released until now are army helicopters, only the naval H-60 range of Kitty Hawk coming to my mind as an exception.

If you look over to Revell, their large helo range always was and is in the 1:32 aircraft scale.

I believe that the intention of the manufactuters is indeed to access the AFV modeler. You may not have seen a 1:35 helicopter together with an AFV in one diorama - that's anecdotical evidence. I have a low bed trailer with a dismantled Mi-8MT in my mind as a rather commonly photographed model in Europe. Apart from that, the majority of the sold kits will not be seen on exhibitions or on the web anyway 🙂

Edited by troschi
  • Like 3

We are now seeing more 1:35 scale helicopter kits coming on to the market, much to my pleasure.  I would also like to find a 1:35 scale kit of a low bed trailer to carry one :undecided: but they are all in 1:32 or even 1:24 scale.  Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Cheers
Mike

On 10/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, Violet Club said:

The 1968 Revell kit is old and quite difficult to find now (and it contains only the hospital version).

But it had a working winch system.  And a howitzer too.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

But it had a working winch system.  And a howitzer too.

The 2001 reissue also included decals for an Erickson machine.

Re the scale: 1:35 has long been an "alternative" scale for helicopters, going back to the the Heller Super Frelon in 1975. Mine is not to reason why. Obviously, there is more than enough demand to warrant new kits like this to be produced in 1:35.

By my calculations, the main rotor diameter will be c. 62.7 cm. To paraphrase Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger display case - much bigger". Otherwise, I can't imagine those rotor blades lasting long. There's no way the completed kit could be carried around by hand, it would have to be on a base at all times.

2 hours ago, klr said:

By my calculations, the main rotor diameter will be c. 62.7 cm. To paraphrase Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger display case - much bigger". Otherwise, I can't imagine those rotor blades lasting long. There's no way the completed kit could be carried around by hand, it would have to be on a base at all times.

The rotors folded for storage, as on naval helos, so that would be an option. I sure don't have a 2 foot by 3 foot space to display it with the rotors extended!

3218376386_3072f455b9_c.jpg

Whether the kit will have the option of folded rotors remains to be seen.

Edited by Peter O
Add info
  • Like 3