Yakovlev Yak-9 1/72 from Zvezda in 2022

Aardvark

2 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Exhausts are the most visible simplified parts

It's worth considering the REXx Yak-9 metal ones (p/n 72008) if you can't get the resin replacements shown earlier in this thread. The ones for the LaGG-3 series 66 (p/n 72032) are the same and will also work just as well.

The way how wing upper and lower surfaces have been divited is an unorthodox way splitting undrside flaps and surface below the tip so that there are seems that might need some care. Obviously this has been done to avoid sink marks which were problematic in earlier models, especailly in Yak-3 and Bf 109F, in this series.

I noticed that while looking at the instruction sheet pdf from Zvezda's web site. The underside looks very odd - it'll be interesting to see how much filling needs to be done there. Re the sink marks, images from the appropriate thread on scalemodels.ru seem to show that they're still there:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_72822_start_180.html

(And yes, the Yak-3 was brutal for sink marks on the wings!)

Also, this kit should keep our own Yak-9 evangelist John Thompson busy for long time! ;)

Maybe so, if it ever becomes available outside Russia; thanks for the recognition!

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

However, I suspect that John will be more involved with the new 3D printed Yak.9 variants than this one.  Given the postage from the US, Uk modellers may feel differently.

Wait and see, I suppose - it seems the 3D-printed source is still sorting out his technology. After all he's been through, and how good-natured he's been, I'll be hesitant to say anything critical when the kits finally arrive at my door!

John

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Thompson said:

It's worth considering the REXx Yak-9 metal ones (p/n 72008) if you can't get the resin replacements shown earlier in this thread. The ones for the LaGG-3 series 66 (p/n 72032) are the same and will also work just as well.

Hi John,

One alternative for LaGG-3 srs 66 (or in general LaGG separated exhausts?) might be Toko/Roden LaGG. I have at least one set extra after building an early LaGG. IN addition to the pipes a fairing in front and plates both upper and lower exhaust opening are needed.

II noticed that while looking at the instruction sheet pdf from Zvezda's web site. The underside looks very odd - it'll be interesting to see how much filling needs to be done there. Re the sink marks, images from the appropriate thread on scalemodels.ru seem to show that they're still there:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_72822_start_180.html

(And yes, the Yak-3 was brutal for sink marks on the wings!)

Checking my example after seeing thos pictures there seems to be same problem. It even can be felt with finger tips. In Bf 109 the sink marks disappeared with a couple of layers of the Mr Surfacer, Yak-3 I have not yet built. At least they have tried to avoid the problem. Primer will tell how bad it is.

IMaybe so, if it ever becomes available outside Russia; thanks for the recognition!

It is happening already. I bought mine inside EU. At the moment there are over 10 "By it now" in EU-area and one in an UK auctionin an well-known on-line auction house.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, SzaboP said:

Rescue Models preparing a resin exhaust set for the 1:72 Zvezda Yak-9:

On 10/6/2022 at 3:50 PM, SzaboP said:

The late type exhaust in "prototype phase" at Rescue Models:

Are these exhaust sets available yet? Thank you for any information you can share!

2 hours ago, kotey said:

Today Begemot released decal for Yak-9 in 1/72 scale.

And now, on to the Yak-1/-1B, correct?!  :D

John

On 1/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, John Thompson said:

Are these exhaust sets available yet? Thank you for any information you can share!

Not yet. but as Robert from Rescue models kindly informed me, these sets will be out very soon.

Two images of the final products:

52652833476_b863456cab_b.jpgIMG_20230127_214023~2 by Peter Szabo

52652833516_744865ac89_b.jpgIMG_20230127_213926~2 by Peter Szabo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, SzaboP said:

Not yet. but as Robert from Rescue models kindly informed me, these sets will be out very soon.

Two images of the final products:

52652833476_b863456cab_b.jpgIMG_20230127_214023~2 by Peter Szabo

52652833516_744865ac89_b.jpgIMG_20230127_213926~2 by Peter Szabo

Available now at Rescue Models' web site:

https://rescuemodels.com/en/product-category/1-72/

John

• Like 2