Yakovlev Yak-9 1/72 from Zvezda in 2022

Aardvark

1 hour ago, MarkoZG said:

I don't like calling someone better informed tough, because I don't like lowering criteria and adjusting to the worse. Whenever I met someone more knowledgeable, I can only listen and "soak" the information.

That is the exact situation here. I read comments about this kit on Scalemodels.ru and they are very well based. This kit is an obvious failure, which doesn't mean it won't have its audience. However, those who will buy it nevertheless should not dismiss the facts given by those who have the actual knowledge. Thankfully the education system doesn't work like that, so the grown ups shouldn't either.

So, please enlighten us with the "facts", so we can all make our own decision on this, and not merely accept your word that "this kit is an obvious failure"! Individual, informed decision-making is also a characteristic of grown-up behaviour.

John

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

If you take a look at the last step in the instructions, I'd say they'll provide new fuselage halves for the Yak-9T (hopefully, -9M too) and reuse the rest.

Zvezda-7313-Manual-Step-08.png

So far Zvezda has not offered new models based on its snap models. Only the Ju 87B-2 has received skis, but it is hard to call this a new version.

Therefore, it makes more sense to write that "they have the technical possibility" (which is true) than "they will add new fuselage halves to other versions" (which is purely an assumption that has no basis).

I will only remind that they have exactly the same possibility for the Bf 109F-2, and yet we have not seen any other version in the 10 years since that kit was released.

2 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

I gave you the source of data. What else should I do for you?

Forget it. I had already read your "source of data" before you posted it, and I saw no data at all - just complaining about the landing gear (too thick) and the exhausts (can't tell if they're supposed to be early, like the Yak-1 or Yak-7) or late (like a real late Yak-9D). Again, it's a snap-together kit. It's aimed at the kids we keep saying we want to join the hobby. If it can be improved by experienced modelbuilders, then why not? Show me a better, currently-available 1/72 Yak-9 - there isn't one. Even the ones that aren't available anymore are not this good. So, whether the scalemodels.ru crowd approves of it or not, it's the best 1/72 Yak-9D, ever!

John

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

@JohnThompson the Yak-9T used the same wing with additional fuel tanks as the -9D, the difference is the fuselage. If you take a look at the last step in the instructions, I'd say they'll provide new fuselage halves for the Yak-9T (hopefully, -9M too) and reuse the rest.

And here I have to disagree with you. Such a solution was possible in the Dako and Toko kits, but here Zvezda embedded the interior of the cockpit on the wing upper surface. And the Yak-9T/K/M/DD have a cockpit moved 0.4m (16 ") back, so the Yak-9T would also require a new upper wing half. Otherwise, not only the head but even the pilot's seat will collide with the a cockpit cutout in the fuselage upper decking.

6 hours ago, John Thompson said:

So, whether the scalemodels.ru crowd approves of it or not, it's the best 1/72 Yak-9D, ever!

I will say more - the best ANY Yak-9 in 1/72, because -9R, -9B, -9T, -9K, -9M, -9DD, -9U, -9P have not yet got a better kit in this scale.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

I'm unconvinced that this kit will be better than the AModel Yak 9U/P.  However, differences between the 9R/9B and a standard airframe are surely marginal, and within the ability of the average modeller.  I did a B from the Dako kit.  However, from my lists, can anyone identify a 1/72 ICM kit?

59 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I'm unconvinced that this kit will be better than the AModel Yak 9U/P.  However, differences between the 9R/9B and a standard airframe are surely marginal, and within the ability of the average modeller.  I did a B from the Dako kit.  However, from my lists, can anyone identify a 1/72 ICM kit?

1. Certainly it won't be more difficult to assemble :) But comparing the Amodel kit (VK-107 engine) with the Zvezda is something like the P-51D and P-51H or the Spitfire VB and Spitfire XVI.

2. Here, of course, you are right - the -7DI, -9, -9D, -9B and -9R are practically the same plane, if not for the differences in armament and the number of fuel tanks - to be mastered by a moderately advanced modeller.

3. The ICM 1/72 Yak-9 is one of their first and most crude kits. Sold with two fuselages in a box, which allows you to build any version with the VK-105 engine - both with a forward cockpit (i.e. - 7DI, -9, -9B, -9D and -9R) and with one moved back (i.e. -9T , -9K, -9DD and -9M). It is also available under the Alanger brand. Unfortunately, only the antediluvian Airfix set is worse than it.

It shouldn't be confused with the other Eastern European kit (originally Dakoplast, but also boxed by Eastern Express, Modelist and Valom) that is light years ahead. The latter is also available as -7B and -7V, with "rear cockpit" versions available only under Russian brands, as Valom only released all Yak-7s and early -9 versions (with "front cockpit").

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dimmy said:

9B conversions

Without canopy - Yak-9B not make. At 48, the same problem was

14 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Of course, as @MarkoZGalready pointed out, this discussion is going on at scalemodel.ru - here are the links: Choice of Yak-1, Yak-3, Yak-7, Yak-9 in 1/72 (general discussion) and Announcement of Zvezda 1/72 Yak-9D "snap-fit".

I know my native language well enough. About different series, there is nothing there about the Yak-9 Zvezda. There they discuss problems with detailing due to snap kit 

It all depends on the approach. In general, in my opinion, there is nothing categorical, except for the exhaust pipes. But we'll have to work in some places

Edited by FFE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dimmy said:

Here are pics of some upcoming add-ons/conversions for Zvezda 1:72 Yak-9D (landing gear, wheels, exhausts, -9R and -9B conversions):

Wow - those are beautiful - thank you, Dimmy!

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

As Michael/KRK4m points out, the Yak-9D and the Yak-9U/P are apples and oranges; hence my frequent plea for a mainstream kit series of the Yak-9/VK-105 variants.

I don't understand your question regarding the ICM Yak-9 kit; if it's any help, it was also reboxed by Squadron as an Encore kit. Scalemates would probably help provide an answer.

John

I am well aware that the 9U/P were very different from earlier variants: it was Michael who included them in a list, suggesting that the Zvezda is better than the AModel kit.  Allowing, of course, for the differences.  

5 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I will say more - the best ANY Yak-9 in 1/72, because -9R, -9B, -9T, -9K, -9M, -9DD, -9U, -9P have not yet got a better kit in this scale.

I question abut the ICM Yak was whether it existed or I had got the wrong producer.in my list.  As it did, that's fine.

For all those who would like to know how ICM kit looks like, catalogue numbers 72023 (left and middle) and 72024 (right).

Kits were released in late 1990s, around 2006 last (known to me) batch reboxed by Alanger (72001 Yak-9; 72005 Yak-9B; 72007 Yak-9K) was available. I have no idea where the moulds are now.

ICM-72023-72024.jpg

• Like 2

Also this:

145702-11185-pristine.jpg

Since the kit had both fuselages included, there was also a Yak-9T boxing. But either way, it was a very crude kit, not worth trying to find. The decals were the best part of it.

John

• Like 1

Oh come on!  "Really crude"?  Basic by modern standards, but crude compared with what we had before it, the Airfix or the even worse blobby one from Russia?  I recall it as a nice enough kit at the time, although rapidly superseded by the Dako and a bit of a disappointment compared to the ICM Tu 2..  I agree with you that it isn't worth chasing up now, though in the complete absence of the Dako and non-appearance in the West of the Zvezda, it's still that or convert the Valom Yak 7,  Yes, I am keeping track of recent events in the 3-d printing of these Yaks, but it is still jam tomorrow.  Roll on tomorrow - as always..  

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

superseded by the Dako and a bit of a disappointment compared to the ICM Tu 2..  I agree with you that it isn't worth chasing up now, though in the complete absence of the Dako and non-appearance in the West of the Zvezda, it's still that or convert the Valom Yak 7, 

When nhe ICM kit was least bad of most if not all Yak-kits but clearly lower in quality thatn contemporary Western kits.

Dako/EE was a clear jump to better when it was relesed. In fact with toned down tail rivets better wheels and canopy and maybe corrected upper nose cross-section (with a spare Amodel Yak-1 separate piece?) it is still quite decent model. Also it fitted well which was not self-evident with Daco as LaGG-3 and Il-2s were much worser in this department than their Yak-9. I haven't built the Dako Yak-7 so I can't comment about it.

The upcoming Zvezda has already plamed especially neing a easy-built kit. I have so far built three of the line and found them well-designed and mostly quite accurate kits. There are certain simplifications but most of the shapes and surface details doesn't shame beside ordinary kits. Wprst shrinking was evident in Yak-3 and Bf 109F-kits. Both fixable with a few rounds of Mr Surfacer 500. I donät see these genre of models differing so much from the ordinary kits that they won't be considerad as well-buildable kits with good prices. Hurricane is the excepion that confirms the rule - better to go to Arma IIC.

As replacement parts are already designed everyone can choose what s/he thnk is needed or affodable.

I forgot to mention that there was a Yak-7 from Russia in 1990's. A simple kit with finely raised surface details but pretty good shapewise. Or at least thought so at that time. I sold mine when Daco relesed their kit.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Older Yak-7 added
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

I forgot to mention that there was a Yak-7 from Russia in 1990's. A simple kit with finely raised surface details but pretty good shapewise. Or at least thought so at that time. I sold mine when Daco relesed their kit.

Oh, I almost forgot about it already 😄 It still was USSR when this kit had been produced (note right bottom corner).

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 3

That Yak-7 was reissued under some other brand names; one which I recall (because I bought 2 or 3) was Red Sky. I started building one, then discovered that the nose was short by a few millimetres. I tried to correct it, but finally gave up. Live and learn...

John

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_p_1750263.html#1750263

Кроме патрубков и ниш шасси будут еще стойки шасси, колеса, подкосы стоек, передняя нижняя часть капота с бородой радиатора и отдельным совком, возможно кок.
Кок и винт в принципе хорошие. На коке не хватает храповика, самостоятельно его изобразить не так сложно, лопасти винта на мой взгляд избыточно наклонены вперед. Но их можно отрезать и вклеить по одной, убрав излишнюю конусность.

In addition to the pipes and chassis niches, there will also be landing gear struts, wheels, struts struts, the front lower part of the hood with a radiator beard and a separate scoop, possibly a spinner.
The spinner and the screw are basically good. There is not enough ratchet on the workpiece, it is not so difficult to portray it yourself, the propeller blades in my opinion are excessively tilted forward. But they can be cut off and glued one by one, removing the excessive taper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got this kit earlier this week. After comparing it with the still quite nice kit from Dako they show development happening in model industry since last years of last millenium. Also it shows that the snap-fit models are in many cases almost on bar with regular kits.

In general tit is a mostly well-detailed and accurate looking kit of the 9D-version quite easily modified to the subtypes B and R. Exhausts are the most visible simplified parts and the interlocking of the inner mainwheel-well doors are the most disturbing part of the structure. In general cockpit interior is in my opinion very good for a closed canopy. Gun-sight is missing clear part but it is easy to fix. Same can be said for the wing tip lights. In general surface detail is up to the date unless you like more rivetting for the metal parts like fin and horizontal stabilizer.

The way how wing upper and lower surfaces have been divited is an unorthodox way splitting undrside flaps and surface below the tip so that there are seems that might need some care. Obviously this has been done to avoid sink marks which were problematic in earlier models, especailly in Yak-3 and Bf 109F, in this series. Also aileron and tail surfaces hinge lines are on the light side.

Basically the most serious issues are handled with the after-market parts shown earlier in this threat.

All in all, a good-looking kit and also atractively priced. Definately my choice when building a new Yak-9 occupies my workspace.

Also, this kit should keep our own Yak-9 evangelist John Thompson busy for long time! ;)

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

An interesting review.  The earlier views seemed to show rather unconvincing exhausts, which you don't comment on.  Having had my knuckles rapped on the subject recently, conversion to a 9B will require a replacement rear canopy, so not that easy.

However, I suspect that John will be more involved with the new 3D printed Yak.9 variants than this one.  Given the postage from the US, Uk modellers may feel differently.

58 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

An interesting review.  The earlier views seemed to show rather unconvincing exhausts, which you don't comment on.  Having had my knuckles rapped on the subject recently, conversion to a 9B will require a replacement rear canopy, so not that easy.

However, I suspect that John will be more involved with the new 3D printed Yak.9 variants than this one.  Given the postage from the US, Uk modellers may feel differently.

Hi Graham,

About the exhausts I wrote "Exhausts are the most visible simplified part" so IMHO it was mentioned there. This is one of the places Dako has an edge over Zvezda. I have missed the canopy rear part change for 9B-model so thank you for that information.

Regarding the price I paid 8,5€ for mine in a mortal shop in mainland Europe which is a very good price for a kit of this quality. How much it will costs in different parts of the globe depends ofc delivery method, customs and so on...

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1