Yakovlev Yak-9 1/72 from Zvezda in 2022

Aardvark

While the @Homebee

sleeps, I'll crack his news - 2!😉😁

On Moscow "МИР ДЕТСТВА 2021" ( WORLD CHILDHOOD 2021)

expo ,  has announced a 1/72nd  of Yakovlev Yak-9 from Zvezda in 2022.

B.R.

Serge

P.S. On street @Learstang the candy truck has finally turned over! 😉😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

@Aardvark @Stew Dapple - thank you both!!! This is fantastic news! I suspect this will be the next addition to Zvezda's easy-assembly series, and will probably be a Yak-9D, so no series of VK-105 variants, but it's an excellent start! Maybe others will be inspired to follow suit; regardless, if I'm right, I'll be quite happy to buy several of the Zvezda kit for experiments into conversion to a Yak-9T, etc. Thanks again - I probably won't be able to sleep now... :thumbsup:

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Thanks again - I probably won't be able to sleep now... :thumbsup:

John

John, sleep calmly! ...or not?! 😁 What if it's a repack Dacoplast?  Who knows?

🤔

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Yes, John, just put your head between your knees until the dizziness passes... I had the same feeling when AMG came out with their Hawker Demon in 1/72nd scale.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.

If this is one of their easy builts then only a single variant is likely. I would have been happy with Dako/EE with better wheels, canopy and correct nose upper surface cross-section but with Zvezda track record makes me to smile ;)

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Finally, after so many years of waiting!

I expect the Zvezda kit to be accurate and easy to assemble, just like their Yak-3.

For me, this is the most exciting announcement in 2021.

It would be a nice thing...have some Encore kits that could be corrected in...

If is a new kit, it Seems you won't sleep well until  this  kit will be released... 

Keep on dreaming my friend!!!

Cheers.

Luis Alfonso 

On 24/09/2021 at 10:52, Roman Schilhart said:

Finally, after so many years of waiting!

I expect the Zvezda kit to be accurate and easy to assemble, just like their Yak-3.

For me, this is the most exciting announcement in 2021.

You mean like this?

555.jpg

I'm sorry to upset you, but both Yak-3 Zvezda models, 72 and 48, have too noticeable problems with accuracy. So, serious global developers may well compete for the opportunity to release a high-quality model of the Yak-3, because the Zvezda failed miserably.

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarkoZG said:

Pardon my ignorance, but this is the very first time I see someone claim ANY shape issues with Zvezda's Yak-3.

Would you mind elaborate in more specifics your findings?

This is not an open secret at all, read the Russian model forums. Мodels in both scales copy each other, so they contain the same errors. Wing, fuselage and all large elements are wrong. The picture shows how much the model differs from the original.  In a recent conversation on FB, it was mentioned that the Zvezda did not even use Luranz's experience, in fact, much was taken from the ancient drawings of the soviet magazine Modelist-Constructor

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

You mean like this?

555.jpg

I'm sorry to upset you, but both Yak-3 Zvezda models, 72 and 48, have too noticeable problems with accuracy. So, serious global developers may well compete for the opportunity to release a high-quality model of the Yak-3, because the Zvezda failed miserably.

Might be easier to judge if we were looking at the subject of each picture from the same angle?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the Zvezda 1/72 Yak-3, to my eye, the only glaring difference between the photos is the angle of the leading edge of the fin. If the drawings by Zbigniew Luranc are the most accurate standard of comparison with the kit, I can say, having done that comparison, that the kit's fin matches the drawings very well. So, the variation between the two images must be due to camera angle, as @Stew Dapple suggests.

While I was at it, I also checked the wing planform against the drawings; there was a slight shape difference right at the tips, but easily correctable if one chose to do so.

The wing root air intakes are slightly on the small side.

Back to hopeful speculation about the proposed 1/72 Yak-9 - if it's as good (or as bad, if you prefer) as the Zvezda Yak-3, I'll be perfectly happy! Heaven knows, it's long, long overdue. Objectively speaking, you can say that there is no existing 1/72 kit of this very important aircraft. Yes, Airfix sort-of makes one - certainly the box says it's supposed to be a Yak-9 - it's an ancient cartoon, and a crude one, at that. The ICM/Encore kit is only slightly better, and requires many corrections. The only sensible possibility was the Dakoplast kit, but try to find one today, and even then, its age and cottage-industry roots are showing by modern standards. So, the Zvezda 1/72 Yak-9 will be very welcome!

John

• Like 6

9 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

So, serious global developers may well compete for the opportunity to release a high-quality model of the Yak-3, because the Zvezda failed miserably.

Short-run only. With well known Hasegawa and very cheap Zvezda on the market new Yak-3 from metal moulds is not profitable.

19 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

You mean like this?

555.jpg

Yes that doesn't look a good comparison. The photo of the real thing, probably due to the lens used, is such that the distortion makes the tail appear to be leaning over. The angle to kit image has been taken at has made it look like it's got no dihedral at all. This image below looks to have been taken slightly lower than the above kit image, yet you can see by the undercarriage it's still taken higher than directly side on.

Unless photos are taken with the same equivalent field of view at the same angle it doesn't really help show anything, you could make the most accurate kits out there look inaccurate with poor comparisons.

d83b4a72-8624-4358-a226-5053547a747d.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MarkoZG said:

Would you mind elaborate in more specifics your findings?

1.Tail shape incorrect
2.Incorrect canopy shape
3.Wrong radiator shape
4.Incorrect fuselage cross sections
5.Incorrect engine hood shapes

6.Incorrect fairings of machine guns
7.Incorrect air intakes
8.Incorrect exausts
9.Wrong wing

The photo is just for illustration, it is clear that if you are not familiar with the real object, one single photo will not convince you, however, if you start to delve into, you may be very disappointed (or not) :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DLinevitch said:

1.Tail shape incorrect
2.Incorrect canopy shape
3.Wrong radiator shape
4.Incorrect fuselage cross sections
5.Incorrect engine hood shapes

6.Incorrect fairings of machine guns
7.Incorrect air intakes
8.Incorrect exausts
9.Wrong wing

The photo is just for illustration, it is clear that if you are not familiar with the real object, one single photo will not convince you, however, if you start to delve into, you may be very disappointed (or not) :)

Of course if you look close enough at 99% of models you will find many of these sorts of errors. Don't get me wrong I love an accurate kit, but life is to short to worry about every little shape on a kit. Fix the main ones and move on.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Of course if you look close enough at 99% of models you will find many of these sorts of errors. Don't get me wrong I love an accurate kit, but life is to short to worry about every little shape on a kit. Fix the main ones and move on.

Claims to the Zvezda are not about the usual way that everyone is wrong, but about how it was possible to spoil literally everything. This is a systemic feature of this manufacturer, they only do well if they are helped by experts for free. Unfortunately, their own developments are very superficial, they are not invested in archival work. This is the sad reality.

Just recently, I looked at the technical description for a prototype of the Su-2, and immediately got some mistakes, for example, the canopy has convex sides rather than flat ones. Why can I get a document for 200-300 euros in the archive, but the largest model manufacturer designed it using outdated drawings from a free book on the Internet? This is a complete profanation.

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DLinevitch said:

Claims to the Zvezda are not in the usual way about the fact that everyone is wrong, but about how it was possible to spoil literally everything. This is a systemic feature of this manufacturer, they only do well if they are helped by experts for free. Unfortunately, their own developments are very superficial, they are not invested in archival work. This is the sad reality.

Just recently, I looked at the technical description for a prototype of the Su-2, and immediately got some mistakes, for example, the canopy has convex sides rather than flat ones. Why can I get a document for 200-300 euros in the archive, but the largest model manufacturer designed it using outdated drawings from a free book on the Internet? This is a complete profanation.

Zvezda are not unique here - many model companies seem to be the same.

• Like 1