Vickers Medium Mk. II Hobbyboss Tracks?

Sprogg

A while ago I was in a model shop and came very close to buying a Hobbyboss Vickers Medium Mk. II, as I do have rather a thing for interwar armour. As it happened I didn't buy the kit, but I am considering getting one at some point, should my Backlog of Shametm reduce somewhat. However, there is one thing I'm wondering about- the tracks. The kit comes with workable plastic tracks IIRC, which look perfectly serviceable, but I was wondering- are there any aftermarket metal tracks available for it? A cursory search on eBay showed nothing. The tracks look very similar to those used by the Matilda II, but I'm not sure if that's my inexperience showing or if they actually used the same type of tracks (and thus should I acquire the kit, would just need to buy Matilda II tracks from Friul or Masterclub or the like).

Just to illustrate what I mean:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The tracks were so similar as to be indistinguisable in 1/35 scale.  Indeed they might even have been identical.  Both tanks were Woolwich designs and the A12 design was produced in something of a hurry so it is likely that they used things they already had in the parts bin.  The tracks were of course later changed on Matildas because of the limited traction and grip of this design.

Why the Mediums Mks I-III became associated with the Vickers name is unclear.  They were not Vickers products.  They were products of the Department of Tank Design at Woolwich and many were built at Woolwich, although some were sub-contracted to Vickers.  Vickers were however responsible for the few export sales of modified versions to Russia and Australia (your picture above is the Aussie survivor at Puckapunyal). The Russians called them "English Workmen".

• Like 2

I see! Thanks very much, that's good to know. I had heard about the "English Workmen" name, didn't know about them not really being Vickers tanks though, very interesting!

I had seen the one at Bovington last time I visited (which was a while ago) and I seem to recall it used the same tracks as the Aussie example pictured. Also from what I saw I recall it being surprisingly spacious for a tank, especially of its era. Probably not hugely pleasant to operate of course...

When i built one a while back i nabbed the flexi band tracks from a Tamiya Matilda, as i was using the link and length ones that came in that particular kit. They fit really well and look the part, though i think i had to nip a few links off 🤔

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1