13 hours ago, Toftdale said:

So next year I hope to take her on trip to either Wales

Make sure it's North Wales Andy - it's rubbish down south now, flippin 40 mph limits on all our good roads - even 30 on one we used to call the 'golden mile' - dead straight across open moorland and clear visibility all round for just over a mile actually. If anybody dared suggest that dropping the limit from 60 was anything other than a money making exercise they're a bare faced liar! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

In order to make this really feel like my car it was necessary to print my own decals,  which was nowhere near as daunting as I thought it was going to be.  

p?i=ebb83debf05bb443508223b3be44657a

basically I've imported images (either from the net or my photos) into photoshop removed the background and then sized them correctly.   Plenty of videos on YouTube. 

Next up the steering wheel needed to be modified.  I've keep the rim, but had to make a new centre to match my car.  Then used one of the momo decals I printed.   The first decals I printed onto clear sheet, this meant that the yellow just disappeared as soon as I placed it on the black wheel.   Therefore I reprinted it on white paper (but filled in the blank spaces in black) and it worked a treat!

p?i=d54e0e49e528924c56b24aa03d4d3ba3

Also as the transkit is based on an earlier car than mine, there is switch missing off the dash (for the heated screen, only really used when the hood is on).  So made an impression of the dash usimg some Blue Stuff and then used some Vallego plastic putty to make a new switch.   Originally I used some super glue and talcum powder instead of the putty, but that just stuck to the mold.

p?i=cb9ce1f10a3b39c4e7a31b0afd1dd852

And the final result 

p?i=3b2a5e62c4fca025ac9d0058dcb86949

The steering wheel is a bit clunky, but in reality its not noticeable.   The sat nav again is a home made decal and a piece of styrene sheet cut to size.  Thanks for looking Andy 

• Like 16

23 hours ago, Fnick said:

Great work Andy. That last picture is awesome!

Nick

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Yep, really tidy job!

Keith

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Excellent detail and decal work! 

Thank you Gents,  now I can begin to see its my car, hopefully it will give me the motivation to finish the thing 

• Like 1

On the subject of very much appreciated, I got home from work today to find a small parcel from Motobitz.   I didn't remember ordering anything recently,  so I assumed it must have been something on a back order.  I opened the box to find this.

p?i=5544a0871dbffb5814ea68da45f612dd

So I just want so say a huge thanks to @mbdesignart for the thought and gift as its going to make a huge difference to the dash.

To save you trawling back through the thread, the steering wheel that comes as standard with the transkit is wrong for my car.  So I rather modified it, but it was a bit clunky. 

p?i=ad895db34babb8609d23511b0fe664e0

This new one is unbelievably delicate and absolutely spot on, plus I now believe in Santa again! (the only problem with this is that I've got to start being good😅) - Andy 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

After a bit of trial and alot of errors I've managed to work out how I'm going to do the harnesses.  Originally I printed the Caterham decals on to a white sheet, hoping that this would sufficiently cover the Sabelt logo on the Eduard belts I intend to use. But the decal was too opaque and you could still see the original script.  Therefore my only option  was to mask the logo and spray it white and reprint the Caterham decals on a clear sheet.

p?i=001b031ad0e876cd2be72bf512718e6a

I appreciate that even by my standards that this is a small update, however aesthetically it quite a big leap forward as it would have been blatantly obvious it Caterham labels were missing and I'm really pleased with the result,  thanks for stopping by - Andy 

• Like 13

Great to see you're back on with this. I admire your attention to detail, got to be right, hasn't it. 

I missed the bit a couple of months ago when your K(ettle)-Series did its gasket. Pleased to see you've sourced an upgrade gasket, it always was a known weak point. 

• Like 2

On 04/12/2022 at 21:09, Anteater said:

Great to see you're back on with this. I admire your attention to detail, got to be right, hasn't it. 

I missed the bit a couple of months ago when your K(ettle)-Series did its gasket. Pleased to see you've sourced an upgrade gasket, it always was a known weak point. 

Glad you like it.  My understanding with regards to the head gasket was that although it was the engines achilles heal it was never really a design fault, more the fact that  Rover in their wisdom just used the cheapest materials they could find!  So now the engine is better than new (fortunately no other damage occurred), ready for many high revving miles ahead - Andy 

On 04/12/2022 at 21:10, Fnick said:

Wow that is looking splendid! Looking forward to seeing the whole harness finished.

Nick

On 06/12/2022 at 10:10, keefr22 said:

Nice work Andy, cracking result that!

Keith

20 hours ago, k5054nz said:

A great touch!

As ever thanks for your kind words,  if I hadn't have solved this one the interior just wouldn't have looked right - Andy. 

• Like 2

On 08/12/2022 at 21:39, Toftdale said:

Glad you like it.  My understanding with regards to the head gasket was that although it was the engines achilles heal it was never really a design fault, more the fact that  Rover in their wisdom just used the cheapest materials they could find!  So now the engine is better than new (fortunately no other damage occurred), ready for many high revving miles ahead - Andy 

Yes, that's pretty much nail on head. It's a fundamentally good engine that was hobbled by the accountants. Built properly with decent aftermarket service parts, it should be bob on.  

• Like 2

On 08/12/2022 at 22:39, Toftdale said:

So now the engine is better than new (fortunately no other damage occurred), ready for many high revving miles ahead - Andy 

That's good, we need more revs! 😎

8 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Yes, that's pretty much nail on head. It's a fundamentally good engine that was hobbled by the accountants. Built properly with decent aftermarket service parts, it should be bob on.  

Aahh, those accountants at it again... 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

I'm also not entirely convinced that all the work force were entirely as conscientious as they should have been 🤣

Like the time my dad unpicked an apple core from one of the dashboard air vents in his brand new Allegro .....

Gary . 

• Haha 3