@Spiny @CrazyCrank @Windy37 @Fnick @keefr22 Thank you gents for your kind words, I sort of lost my mojo on this one for a bit and even though about starting a new project,  however I know myself well enough to know I would just end up will a pile of half built kits.  That said I am really pleased with the current progress,  so hopefully it won't be as long until my next update - Andy

• Like 5

Good to hear your mojo is returning. That's partly why I tend to build close to out of the box - I know if I got too far down the extra stuff wormhole I would just lose interest and struggle to get it back. Taking that step back before starting to hit the build again is probably the best thing you could have done.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Spiny said:

That's partly why I tend to build close to out of the box - I know if I got too far down the extra stuff wormhole I would just loose interest and struggle to get it back

Wise words, I'm not sure what my next build will be, but it will definitely be a simple kit straight out the box - Andy 

• Like 1

Just a small update to kept my momentum going.

So I've finished constructing the engine, on one side I've added the starter, oil filter and alternator. 

p?i=d684562f981756422ca7ffa15f4b29b0

and on the other the intake manifold 

p?i=ba2a0cc61d561bca1368adb723fe0160

My intention is to make a curbside model, that passes a casual glance underneath,  so I don't think I need to add anymore detail.

p?i=d0bed4dfc44bce2760056a5affe284d1

Thanks as ever for your patience - Andy. 

• Like 13

20 hours ago, silver911 said:

So nice to see this one back on the bench mate...and some more superb scratch work to boot :yahoo:

Ron

7 hours ago, Fnick said:

That's looking pretty good especially for "just" a curbside engine!

Nick

3 hours ago, desert falcon said:

That’s an admirable amount of work you are putting into this kit, fantastic work so far 👍 

As ever thanks for the compliments (always appreciated 😀).  It does feel good to finally making some progress again.  - Andy 

• Like 3

Next up I needed to make the bracket to attach the the exhaust to the side of the car, which was made from some spare photoetch.   The bracket was easy to make,  however gluing it was altogether a different game, a few expletives later and I got this.

p?i=6bfaa1afc97f29a533a847c0a53a9fcf

And now for a real milestone moment,  I've applied some paint!😀

p?i=e8d80729c6aeaece949a26445bdbad9b

In reality the engine block is a bit lighter than the photo eludes to.  But best off all I'm really happy with the level of detail that shows below the car and also with finished  exhaust (which was included in the transkit) 

p?i=e873b331d0a831fdf90b01cdaca4ca09

Finally the heat shield recieved some bare metal foil. 

p?i=5e287d47aa676c4fa995aaa7601ab6bc

I know its a small update, but I'm just over the moon to finally paint something - Andy 

• Like 17

12 hours ago, Fnick said:

The engine looks even more convincing with paint! Nice 👍

Nick 

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking progress Andy,coming on very nicely.

Keith

5 hours ago, silver911 said:

Totally agree...great stuff Andy :)

Ron

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is awesome,  it's turning out beautifully,  you should be rightly chuffed with your superb efforts.

Great work

Chris 

I've always been quite happy with painting bodys (hopefully this statement won't come back to haunt me), but never been truly happy with the results I've achieved on the oily bits, they either look far to shiny or weathered with a complete lack of finesse, So I really appreciate your comments - Andy 

• Like 2

On 08/06/2022 at 08:45, Natter said:

It seems almost a shame to hide all that work under paint, but it really is looking very good.

Thank you - there must be a law in modeling that states the better you make a part the lesser it will be visible on the finished product 😀 - Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Thank you - there must be a law in modeling that states the better you make a part the lesser it will be visible on the finished product 😀 - Andy 

There is - it's the flip side of the same rule which says that if a build is going almost perfectly something will go wrong with the painting and/or body.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:32 PM, Toftdale said:

This is true.  The amount of time I spend on parts that are then invisible on the finished build is crazy . But getting that part to look right and if only I know its in there and painted right is very satisfying . 

Gary. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Blimey I didn't realise how long I've been off this, so hardly any progress to show for 3 plus months, but some 😁.

So I've added the additional bracing to the bottom of the engine bay (and yes the engine still fits).

p?i=b2b4dab1df69bb72061a7aed3b477078

Followed by the roll bar.  The one supplied in the transkit is for an earlier model so I've had to make my own.  Recently my son has bought himself (although I'm sure I paid for it) a 3d printer.   It the sort that melts plastic (PLA) so it does not give the fine surface quality of a resin one.  However it more that good enough to make a jig.  First step was a paper template, then draw it up in cad, print it off.  Finally warm up a styrene rod with a hair drier and bend it n the jig.

p?i=499e03bdedafdb6a8b3a2c8a26c1c2bd

And voila

p?i=843205f723200fc43b3a05062ae0557d

Like I said not much but is still progress....oh and finally I painted the grill (also from Motobitz) which is going to make a huge difference to the look of end product, if I ever get there - Andy 

p?i=1e6a61fd9ca3c8d6321f0ffc0aef74e4

• Like 12

Over 3 months? No wonder I'd forgotten all about it..... :)

Good to see progress on her Andy, and tbh with a real Caterham to play with and the lovely weather over those months I can why you've not done much (I don't even have a Caterham and I've hardly done much more....!! 🤣)

Keith

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

with a real Caterham to play with and the lovely weather over those months I can why you've not done much

Unfortunately earlier on in the year the K-series in my Caterham did what K-series love to do and blew it's head gasket!  It failed almost instantaneously (but very much catastrophically).   This meant the cooling circuit quickly became over-pressurised forcing it out through the cap on the expansion tank and exiting through the vents on the bonnet before covering the windscreen.   At first I thought I'd driven through a puddle, but then I could smell it was coolant and instantly stopped.  How many cars have that level of intelligent engineering to let you know about a head gasket failure?  😃. Luckily the only damage was the gasket so it's now repaired with a better quality gasket than the original Rover item, unfortunately though during that lovely weather it was in the garage whilst I was saving up for the repairs.  - Andy 

• Sad 5

HI Andy,

Sorry to hear the news of your real car - seems you were lucky with only the blown gasket - not an overheat and ruined engine parts!  The model is coming along nicely.  I don't think you're alone with the temporary stoppage of work on a project - it's taken me a few months to get reengaged too.  Looking forward to seeing this wrapped up - oh  - i like the reuse of the exhaust collector on your exhaust manifold/header!  great idea!

Cheers 

Nick 

• Thanks 1

On 22/10/2022 at 21:16, keefr22 said:

Ah that's a shame Andy, still I guess the silver lining is the engine survived

On 24/10/2022 at 19:03, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey sorry to hear about the head gasket,still if done hopefully  smooth sweet motoring ahead now

Thsnks Gents.  When the head was removed the bores all looked perfect and now with the reinforced head gasket she's better than new.  She's also had her thermostat moved, because when supplied new it was fitted in the flow from the radiator to the engine.   Now its after the engine and before the radiator, where it should be.  So next year I hope to take her on trip to either Wales or Scotland for a proper drive - Andy 

• Like 5