On 06/03/2022 at 19:50, Stickframe said:

Hats off to you Andy - very nice work!  And, the victory of all sitting flat and square - congratulations 😀

Cheers

Nick 

On 07/03/2022 at 09:06, Bengalensis said:

I've just been catching up, really nice work! 👍

Thank you Gents - I can definitely say I have taken inspiration from both of your work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally finished the rear diff and more importantly it fit's.   I added the mounting points for the diff to the rear frame frame and installed magnets to attach it.  This means it will be easier to attach and secondly this gives slight movement in order to allow for correct alignment. 

p?i=2fefa8034448ac366514196ca0efa276

The rear disc were simply made using a compass cutter, not sure whether I will add the calipers as yet as I am not sure how visible they will be.

p?i=2c2886655541fbcf55abb3ee65e62231

p?i=4975d8551b73e4d0cef5d490005c9779

Thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 14

Hi Andy

That's going to be special when it's finished!

10 hours ago, Toftdale said:

not sure whether I will add the calipers

If you don't add them you know they won't be there...👹😄

Nick

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fnick said:

And you won't be able to stop the bladdy thing either Andy...!! 🤣

Really nice work so far. Be even better when you add the calipers.... :whistle:

Keith

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Fnick said:

Hi Andy

That's going to be special when it's finished!

Nick

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Neat engineering! :coolio:

Of course you have to add the calipers :nodding:

Kev

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And you won't be able to stop the bladdy thing either Andy...!! 🤣

Really nice work so far. Be even better when you add the calipers.... :whistle:

Keith

Thanks Gents for the compliments and yes I will now add the calipers - Andy PS. I must remember not to mention the other items I'm not going to add on 😅🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, silver911 said:

Superb craftsmanship from start  to finish Andy...stunning lessons on scratch work.

Ron

2 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

I can't say it better 👏

Thank you Gentlemen,  you are too kind - Andy 

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Very good work here. Even with a 1:1 scaled up version for reference, this will have taken quite a lot of engineering I expect.

Thank you Spiny, once I had sussed out what to do it was actually quite simple (put the three fixed points in place (the two diff mountings and the rear axle) then use sheet styrene to fix these elements together and then add the detail) .   However as with a lot of things on this build I made several false starts before I hit upon a eureka moment. - Andy 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The rear end looks fantastic, great work on the diff , mounts and discs.  Absolutely awesome. 

Chris

Thank you Chris, I've enjoyed making the rear end, despite it being incredibly frustrating at times - Andy 

• Like 1

Just a small update,  the calipers are now complete; hopefully the pictures are fairly self explanatory (the raised detail in last photo is stretched sprue).  The calipers just slip over the discs which will make painting a lot easier. 

p?i=fe8c3dcd7c4ddcf7679fd2c9b6ef454b

Thanks @Fnick @longshanks @keefr22 for the nudge as they are far more visible than I thought!

p?i=9f11126ba166591faf0ac489836beee9

Thanks again for looking and your comments - Andy 

• Like 13

21 hours ago, Spiny said:

Good job they're so visible, that looks like a lot of very tricky and small work which has been well done.

6 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Cracking work – love it!!

Nick

Thank you Gents - the calipers were surprisingly easy to make and more astonishingly they worked out first time! - Andy 

• 1 month later...

Finally had enough time to work on the Caterham again. 

First job, the front shocks and springs,  on a Caterham the lower mount for the springs is half way up the shock.  Hence new items were made using the attachment pieces from the kit part brass rod an fuse wire.

p?i=90ee743252237800028704957fc260cd

Really pleased with these, so please forgive me a couple of extra photos of the unit in place.

p?i=9108905bc967080cf670c9079104ef29

p?i=57d08e2e936e5e28fd8b7c88cccd3625

Next job is the addition of the front indicators,  which are included in the transkit and making the head light brackets.  Again the original attachment point was kept, this time it was drilled out to accept the new wire bracket for the head light and indicator. 

p?i=14e6100f3d2aa39ef566b54512b4523e

p?i=511246cca608a87d78c5b6bbc4060e7e

As I mentioned when I first started this thread a long long long time ago the plan is to make this kerbside.   However I still need to include the bottom on the engine as I still want this to look realistic when looked at from underneath. 

Hence I made this from styrene sheet, rod and stretched sprue.   Plus the bottom of a Sharpie pen for the bell housing. 

p?i=be7394351c66c3b16711d1bea54529ee

It does look a lot better when viewed from the bottom as you can imagine the ribs on the bottom of the sump were very fiddly to apply. 

p?i=c6b96fc05b19f38feb1a80672286caab

The collector also came with the transkit and really is fantastic, a lot of Caterhams have the four pipes from the header exit the body and the collector is mounted just before the silencer.   However mine is inside the engine bay, so I had to cut this part down to fit.  You can also see a magnet mounted in the collector to make attaching the exhaust easier,

Also the K-series is canted, which I had to replicate so the the sump looks correct hanging out the bottom of the car. 

p?i=cc47a85b64b6f035fa582d36c99a9c02

Next step was the prop shaft, again the kit part was modified to suit and I've checked it all fits under the transmission tunnel! 

p?i=2b9eec60ca5bc19a34abdc889f632783

Then some more fiddly stretched sprue to replicate the rolled end on the exhaust. 

p?i=22ded41486b916ea38bc0377ed9b9497

The next picture will be boring for you, but I got a great sense of achievement when the exhaust exited out the centre of its hole😁

p?i=6145ce8f5040dfa41f1dd64d30f3a504

Last picture (for now) I promise all my hard work on the engine and transmission in place.

p?i=5d39678ea53f171ee479c935d945daf7

Still need to add a few more ancillaries to the block, but I'm really pleased to finally be making progress again,  thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 13