13 hours ago, Fnick said:

Those hinges look really really good! Once you've sorted the screen problem out it will all be fine!

ย 

And we can all read about it on Google news!๐Ÿ˜‹

ย 

Nick

ย 

9 minutes ago, Alan R said:

A lot of really good scratch-building going on here. Love it!

ย 

Cheers,

Alan.

Thank you Gents,ย  it was just a shame they didn't close properly, because right up until the point I tried to shut them I had considered them to be some of my best scratch building ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Cracking work on the screens. I know how frustrating making parts fit cn be, but well worth the reward when it all works out.

ย 

Thanks,ย  I think I'm going to have to work on another bit, whilst I wait for some creative inspiration - Andyย 

Those hinges and screens look great - very clever use of pin and tubes to make it work - I admire your patience!ย  I'm guessing it was no picnic getting all those tiny parts aligned - wow!ย  I also like the idea of pinning the pillar to the frame - great decisionย ย 

ย 

Cheers

Nickย 

• Thanks 1

ย 

It looks to me that the bulged part of the side screens is to narrow, the picture of the 1:1 screen seems to show the bulge almost up to bottom of the clear area(if that makes sense) Really enjoying watching this one come together.

ย 

ย  Stay safe and seasons greetingsย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Roger

19 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Those hinges and screens look great - very clever use of pin and tubes to make it work - I admire your patience!ย  I'm guessing it was no picnic getting all those tiny parts aligned - wow!ย  I also like the idea of pinning the pillar to the frame - great decisionย ย 

ย 

Cheers

Nickย 

Thanks Nick,ย  once I had finally mastered the technique it wasn't too bad, however I did lose several brass sleeves the carpet monster before I got the knack.ย  ย The pillar to the frame is the weakest part of the kit and never really gave a positive fit, hence the pins - Andyย 

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

ย 

It looks to me that the bulged part of the side screens is to narrow, the picture of the 1:1 screen seems to show the bulge almost up to bottom of the clear area(if that makes sense) Really enjoying watching this one come together.

ย 

ย  Stay safe and seasons greetingsย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  Roger

Hi Roger, thank you for your help.ย  On the real items the screen is actually hinged (by material) along its length.ย  ย The upper window frame is rigid and the lower section has some give which allows the screen to conform to the car, it is then secured with two tabs (on the bottom surface and at the rear).ย  But I think I've cracked it.ย  I hope you enjoy the Festive break too. - Andyย 

Screens 2.0

This time I've cut the screen in half along its length and glued them together so that the lower section has a slight curve.ย  I then made the bulge out of several layers of styrene,ย  laminated in such away as to maintain the curve on the lower section (it was actually the curved wooden arm on a chair made from laminated plywood in my conservatory that gave me the idea๐Ÿ’ก).ย  I've then filled the laminated section to shape and then finished of with a bit of filler,ย  Hopefully the pictures below make a bit more sense.ย 

p?i=ebc06d7cec2314daafc2f6ba0d3b61a0

p?i=fcbc87ce5c6ea4b974342dc5f458b269

ย 

Hey presto it fits

p?i=54d27d81a6fd8a37ccc9318cf28beeb7

One down,ย  one to go.

ย 

Thanks for looking and Seasons greetings to everyoneย  ๐ŸŽ„ ๐Ÿ˜€ - Andyย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 12

When I used my template to make the right hand side screen it didn't fit! So after some examination I noticed that the reason was that the screen was not square.ย 

p?i=ccf573ed6c8d8585aee1558052a40c2a

Having corrected this, the original (left hand side) no longer fitted ๐Ÿ˜ข.ย  ย But whilst looking at my existingย  (but none fitting)ย  screen I became less happy with it, so....

ย 

Screen 3.0

ย 

I now have made the bottom of the screen from aluminium from a disposal cooking tray.ย  ย Somehow using a pencil and a pair of pliers I have managed to form the the correct shape.

ย 

p?i=6e91119094ec26a292608c396c869994

The main advantage of this method is that the screen can easily massaged so that it fits like a glove.ย 

ย 

p?i=ac624f61a0bc050fc092379664c8d4d6

ย 

Just not sure what to do with my ever growing pile of screens ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ

p?i=7e91ccf8fcae494116dd4c19f840591b

Thanks for looking and happy 2022 - Andyย 

Edited by Toftdale
  • Like 16

Ha, great minds think alike - I made some speedbrakes for an old Esci 1/48 Phantom from the same stuff yesterday!! Have to say your bits look neater than mine though - good job mine are hidden underneath the wings....!! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Happy New Year to you and yours too Andy.

ย 

Keith

6 hours ago, Danish Kenneth said:

Only came across this thread now, absolutely marvellous and so spot on ๐Ÿ‘ Best wishes from a fellow 1:1 Caterham owner (1996 K-1.6).

Hi Kenneth, thank you for your comment,ย  your obviously a man of impeccable taste ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

3 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Your growing pile of screens look good as some kind of abstract wall art !ย ย 

ย  Good use of the ali food tray , top upcyclingย  !!

ย Garyย 

Hi Gary, does it still count as upcycling when I used a new tray? ๐Ÿ˜•ย 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the screens and using the Ali foil is a great idea.ย ย 

Cracking job.ย 

Chris

ย 

Thanks Chris,ย  its just a shame it took so many attempts before the inspiration finally hit.

ย 

57 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ha, great minds think alike - I made some speedbrakes for an old Esci 1/48 Phantom from the same stuff yesterday!! Have to say your bits look neater than mine though - good job mine are hidden underneath the wings....!! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Happy New Year to you and yours too Andy.

ย 

Keith

Hi Keith,ย  I had to Google speedbrakes as I could not work out why a Rolls Royce (Phantom) would have breaks under its wings ๐Ÿ˜‚, I forgot you also make planes.ย  Stay safe - Andyย 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The next thing to tackle is the rear suspension,ย  in the original kit there is a live back axle.ย  ย Where my car has a de dion tube, my understanding is that the main advantage is that this reduces the unsprung weight of the car are the rear differential is attached directly to the chassis (However I am more than happy to be educated on the subject).ย  Therefore the the obvious place to start for me is the rear diff.ย  I couldn't find any exact dimensions for this, so this is as close as I could get from the photos I found.ย  - Andyย 

p?i=7a64b883c9bcf63aeaf5a0365c5e7c2c

ย 

• Like 8

That's some more good looking scratchbuilding Andy! ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

3 hours ago, Toftdale said:

I couldn't find any exact dimensions for this

ย 

Didn't fancy crawling underneath the car and measuring yours then?! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's some more good looking scratchbuilding Andy! ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

ย 

Didn't fancy crawling underneath the car and measuring yours then?! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Keith

Cheers Keith, did I think about measuring mine? It seemed rude to wake her from her hibernation to measure her under partsย  lol.gif

21 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Nice door hingesย ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ‘I came up with several ideas, but in this case the best solution was just to miniaturise the real thing - Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5