8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

My opinion is the same Andy, it looks very good!  Good time to learn resin casting....?! :)

Keith

Thanks as always Keith,  I have often thought about casting,  but always dismissed it a messy,  expensive and not that easy, does anyone know any better?  - Andy 

• Like 1

I agree it's messy and expensive, but you know what they say - 'if I can do it anyone can!'. I'vs had very usable results casting bucket seats (and much other stuff) in the past. It's only the expensive bit that stops me doing anymore at the moment, the messy bit doesn't bother me! I'm guessing there must be youtube videos on the process now, when I started it was reading on line articles on manufactures websites - which would still be useful.

I found it really useful if I needed two identical items as I could never scratchbuild two the same!

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I agree it's messy and expensive, but you know what they say - 'if I can do it anyone can!'. I'vs had very usable results casting bucket seats (and much other stuff) in the past. It's only the expensive bit that stops me doing anymore at the moment, the messy bit doesn't bother me! I'm guessing there must be youtube videos on the process now, when I started it was reading on line articles on manufactures websites - which would still be useful.

I found it really useful if I needed two identical items as I could never scratchbuild two the same!

Keith

Thanks Keith,  when I made the first seat also cut the plastic card for the second one at the same time, so it should be like assembling flat pack furniture. So apart from having a few bits left over and the base upside down I should be good 🤣😅.  There is another option,  I could just take the passenger seat out of my real car!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

There is another option,  I could just take the passenger seat out of my real car!

Ha ha - I was actually going to suggest that for the model - prepared for a track day or hillclimb! :)

Keith

• Like 1

And then there was two!

p?i=107b0d6d6d91bcf4798ff7a7812a995c

The gear knob is now in place (its actually a nose stud) and the replacement dashboard from Motobitz is now temporarily in place.

p?i=97359efda6ea3c148049e1f8ac3380a8

Next I need to sort out the Sat-Nav I have fixed under my dash, thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 15

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That looks great, a nose stud for the gear lever is interesting,  hope no one is looking for that 😉 seats look great. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,  the nose stud was an ebay bargain (less than 2 quid for 3) and was a fluke find whilst looking for a 2mm ball. - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Stickframe said:

The nose stud is a great idea! looks right!   The tunnel is really nice too - as this space looks to be pretty tight, you really squeezed it in, and kept the detail nice!

cheers

Nick 

Thanks Nick

• 2 weeks later...

This week I've mostly been working on the Side Screens.  I printed off a photo which enabled me to get the correct angles,  then made several templates out of cardboard until I was happy with the fit on the model and then transferred this to styrene sheet.  The screens have a bulge at the bottom to give a bit more arm room, this was made from a section of styrene tube, butchered into shape with ends blanked off with more sheet and then glued into position.   One dry I was then able to open up the screen from the otherside. 

p?i=8ff566efbef439ea634752df979f7227

I'm not 100% how to attach them on the finished model...perhaps magnets?  But now she's definitely more Caterham than Lotus. 

p?i=0fa092bc237e14aebc845dbc1685a316

p?i=daa3c2a82fe151ad5dc8c399a2486f61

Thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

This week I've mostly been working on the Side Screens.  I printed off a photo which enabled me to get the correct angles,  then made several templates out of cardboard until I was happy with the fit on the model and then transferred this to styrene sheet.  The screens have a bulge at the bottom to give a bit more arm room, this was made from a section of styrene tube, butchered into shape with ends blanked off with more sheet and then glued into position.   One dry I was then able to open up the screen from the otherside. 

p?i=8ff566efbef439ea634752df979f7227

I'm not 100% how to attach them on the finished model...perhaps magnets?  But now she's definitely more Caterham than Lotus. 

p?i=0fa092bc237e14aebc845dbc1685a316

p?i=daa3c2a82fe151ad5dc8c399a2486f61

Thanks for looking - Andy 

That's a kind of wonderful progress, great idea and perfectly managed... I'm speechless 🤗

You did this all before in 1:1 I'm sure 🤔

can't await your next steps 

Marco F 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 20:47, Marco F. said:

That's a kind of wonderful progress, great idea and perfectly managed... I'm speechless 🤗

You did this all before in 1:1 I'm sure 🤔

can't await your next steps 

Marco F 

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Neat work on the side screens :thumbsup:

Kev

Thanks gents for your kind words, the screens are not 100% accurate,  but they certainly have the 'feel' I was after - Andy 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow  the side screens look great, what a cracking job on those.  

Chris

Thanks Chris,  I know my photo at the beginning of this thread doesn't show the screens.  However in reality I never drive the car without them, so I'm really glad they worked out. 

• Like 1

I finally decided how to attach the sidescreens to the car, basically by replicating what on the real car.  However before I could do this I needed to strengthen the attachment of the windscreen pillars.  This was done will 0.5mm brass wire as pins, the easiest way was to drill straight through the pillars and then use the end of the rod to replace the detail I had just removed. 

p?i=b5cb49e91d6d918d25b5c1a94b76f45d

p?i=0a63a1a6be32ae04951e175380d60ca8

Next is the detachable hinges made from 0.6mm brass tube and 0.4mm wire.

p?i=f29e0f279baec32eabbedaa4aa03c9bb

Firstly two bits of rod were slipped over a piece of wire and the put into position on the pillar and secured with superglue.  By using the wire it meant that rod would be straight with each other.  Then the male part of the hinges were than inserted into the rod on the pillar, the sidescreen was then offered up and secured with more superglue.  Hopefully this makes sense. 

So I now have detachable and operational sidescreens 😃

p?i=407523bdd164970eb1c22774855e52d7

However that were the Google news ends, they don't fully shut 😢

p?i=b13e245276d6feafc3b6d7b4fc745001

There's and interference issue with the scuttle, I've tried gently tweeking the screen, but to no avail.   So I need to make new contorted screens.  However strangely enough I'm still really happy😊, really pleased with the hinges and I'm fairly confident I can make fitting screens.  Thanks for looking Andy. 

• Like 8