As soon as Motobitz released their transkit to convert the Tamiya Super 7 to a Caterham there was only one car I was going to make....Mine!!

p?i=cf0cf66810129ad39c3f8794a5103133

Haven't done that much, I'm only really posting because it makes my 3rd build on Britmodeller feel like it's officially started.   I intend to make this as accurate as possible without becoming obsessive (this might come back to haunt me later 🙃).

Original nosecone

p?i=ec3ca3419b48c427e2da01bf372904e0

Beginning of modifications 

p?i=acb4ef8eac49446976e948ebbab2251d

Like my previous 2 builds here, thanks for looking, just don't expect it finished too soon - Andy 

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

I intend to make this as accurate as possible without becoming obsessive

As one of my colleagues occasionally (very occasionally!😄) tells his wife: I'm not being pedantic dear I'm being accurate...

It's good fun making a car you actually own(ed). Plus with a life size model to compare against I fully expect your finished model to look like the first picture! 😋. No pressure...

I'll certainly be following this one.

Nick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now the nosecone is done the next area requiring modification is the front suspension.   The top of the front suspension on a lotus 7 consists of a single arm and antiroll bar, were as my Caterham has a top wishbone arrangement plus an antiroll bar, plus there is an extra strengthening bar across the bottom wishbone.  

p?i=d67489018611d8e7fb27322e607b2616

p?i=b44b53636d568fa5ccfc3d4a920592bc

The addition of the bottom brace now means that the lower suspension can now no longer be removed as Tamiya intended as you have to push one end through the car in order to insert the otherside.   Therefore this is now in three bits with metal pins inserted to achieve correct alignment.   Thanks again for looking - Andy 

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

I've made a start on the interior, obviously this is quite visible on a Caterham so I have had to make quite a few changes, here's my car.

p?i=f663a931b5f67c6109029cc464d4ebbf

One of the most obvious differences between the Lotus and a S3 chassised Caterham is that the hand brake has moved to the centre tunnel.   Therefore I have made a new tunnel, the used the top of the old one to give me the curve.  Once finished I then covered this with Milliput (rolled as thin as possible)  and then made the stitching pattern with a bit if stretched sprue, just visible in the photo.

p?i=06db2e6383d956fb35b70fa9742bbe4c

The seats that come with the transkit are great unfortunately they're from the model before mine (please note this is not a criticism of the transkit as it would have been impossible to supply the correct bits to make every Caterham that has existed,  and the seats supplied were an obvious choice as they are a very common fitment).  The picture below is not the final item, but at least now I know how I'm going to make them.

p?i=c99c576db91431591d638d1c7cba3718

One piece that really had me scratching my head was the head rests.  Finally I think I've had a good idea 😄.  In order to get the correct oval shape I have squashed some plastic tube in a vice and filled it full of milliput,  so hopefully when it's dried it will still retain the shape.

p?i=27839495006db4e8c7bad4cc542cdf8e

Thanks for looking - Andy 

• Like 16

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good to see some progress on this Andy - and I think the idea for making the headrests is brilliant!

Keith

5 hours ago, johnlambert said:

It looks like some ingenious work going in to this build.

Thank you Gentlemen,  I appreciate the compliments 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Marco F. said:

Great ideas for your build,  I hope everthing will work out like you're planning. It's good to have the 1:1 in the garage, but sometimes It's also a pain, just bcs no excuse for a difference 

Marco F 

Hi Marco, thanks for the comments. However the Caterham is now tucked away under its cover in my garage,  ready to come out and play next year 😀👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Anteater said:

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves... I'm guessing your Caterham doesn't have an old Crossflow in it. How do you plan to address the engine?

My Caterham is a 1.4 (K-series) with a supersport conversion. 

p?i=2d092499654781f07199cffa14163a5d

At the moment my gut feel says I'll address the engine by gluing the bonnet shut 😁.  I think if I try and make one it will suck all the fun out of the project. However I will need to make a sump as this is very visible....Maybe though if I asked Father Christmas to bring me a 3d printer 🤔 - Andy 

• Like 6

Joining the viewing party late here Andy and really enjoyed looking back at your trans-kit bashing and scratch-building efforts on this build. Very cool modeling project. Posting WIP’s can be time consuming - thank you!

I got to test drive a fellow-worker/ friend’s Caterham 7 back in the early 80’s, no idea what series/ model but it had a high performance Ford OHC 4 banger (120 -130 hp?). OMG! What a cosmic spiritual driving experience, one of if not the most fun car I’ve ever driven. I envy you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Joining the viewing party late here Andy and really enjoyed looking back at your trans-kit bashing and scratch-building efforts on this build. Very cool modeling project. Posting WIP’s can be time consuming - thank you!

I got to test drive a fellow-worker/ friend’s Caterham 7 back in the early 80’s, no idea what series/ model but it had a high performance Ford OHC 4 banger (120 -130 hp?). OMG! What a cosmic spiritual driving experience, one of if not the most fun car I’ve ever driven. I envy you!

Thanks for the interest,  my daily driver is a company Toyota Corolla hybrid,  so it makes the Caterham seem even more special when I get out in it

• Like 2

Still working on the seats, the next job was to address the school boy error on the head rests 😬

p?i=7e93ecd5020afc13e240319de8357acb

Next task was to chamfer the seat back and attach the sides.  I've made a jig so that hopefully the angle of the sides will be the same and more importantly hopefully both seats will be close to identical. 

p?i=993434695d7e7ec13777f0161e3fd53d

Once I was happy with the sides, I added a lumber support.   Then covered the seat with a thin layer of Milliput and added to stitching. 

p?i=1136876db6055ac19b192714e38aa743

The red seats aren't mine, though they are identical (apart from the colour).  I now think my head rest is slightly too a large, but apart from that I'm really happy.   It not a perfect replica,  but is does in my opinion capture the feel, I've now just got to make a matching one 😨 - Andy 

• Like 15