Aeroclub Sea Venom yellow canopies

Daedalus72

Just got the Aeroclub Sea Venom FAW 22 from the loft with a view to start building it at last, but both the canopies supplied with the kit have turned yellow and are unusable

Does anybody know of a possible source for a replacement?

I have tried Squadron and Falcon with no luck

22 hours ago, Daedalus72 said:

Just got the Aeroclub Sea Venom FAW 22 from the loft with a view to start building it at last, but both the canopies supplied with the kit have turned yellow and are unusable

Does anybody know of a possible source for a replacement?

I have tried Squadron and Falcon with no luck

My 1/48 kit is same

19 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I suspect you will have to use your present one to make a new master and vacform your own.

This is what I've done, created a vacform master from milliput but I've yet to vacform the actual canopies. 

@Daedalus72 I may be able to help you, but I haven't tried vacforming my canopy yet, so not sure how it'll turn out and I'm not sure when I'll get round to it! 

Radical idea!.....This may work  try putting one canopy in the sun in a window  NOT too hot but constant sunlight 

It may reduce & eliminate the yellowing.  I have tried it [Dynavector & Squadron canopies] and it does work  BUT be careful that it isnt too hot in the window.

Steve,

I and many others have tried this but it does not work on those done with acetate based material as it is an internal chemical reaction..

I've no idea about Dynavector, but the Squadron canopies I know of (there may well be more) are the Falcon ones and these don't yellow with time because they are made from more modern plastics.

For Sea Venom, perhaps the Dragon/CyberHobby kit will provide a replacement but the kit itself is not recommended.

I'm in the same boat, I did contact John at Aeroclub qiite a few years ago about mine, he thought he might have some spares hanging around, but I never followed it up with him. Thinking about it logically though, if the ones in our kits have yellowed then any spares he might have had would probably also be yellowed.

44 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

I'm in the same boat, I did contact John at Aeroclub qiite a few years ago about mine, he thought he might have some spares hanging around, but I never followed it up with him. Thinking about it logically though, if the ones in our kits have yellowed then any spares he might have had would probably also be yellowed.

If they came from the same batch yes, but I've got some Aeroclub canopies that are still crystal clear whilst others are quite a dark brown. John appears to have used a variety of clear plastic stock when moulding canopies, some of which have proved more resistant to degradation than others.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

If they came from the same batch yes, but I've got some Aeroclub canopies that are still crystal clear whilst others are quite a dark brown. John appears to have used a variety of clear plastic stock when moulding canopies, some of which have proved more resistant to degradation than others.

I'd say that was definite, having observed the same thing. Same applies to Rareplane canopies too- they can be crystal clear or  nicotine brown. Oddly though, I have several of the Dragon Rapide kits, where the fuselage was moulded in clear and needs acetone to join them, and while two are (mildly) yellowed, one is still completely clear.

Paul.

• Like 2

Another long shot is to try to find a canopy from the 1/48 Classic Airframes kit.  That may work but they are very hard to find BUT perhaps someone has a started or wrecked kit where you can salvage the canopy??

Just a thought

PS  I am hopping Airfix or Pilot Replicas does a new too 1/48 Sea Venom!?!?!?!    Waiting for the Vampire ...very SOON from Airfix!!!!

Steve,