1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9T/K by ICM - Yak-9T & K released - new Foxbot Decals

Homebee

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Like me, I know you are devoted to the One, True Scale (and rightfully so!), but @John Thompson, have you seen this?

Regards,

Jason

No, I didn't - thanks, Jason! Maybe this is ICM's way of atoning for their not-so-hot 1/48 Yak-9s, and their godawful 1/72 one. This suggests the question, though - if ICM believe there's a market for Yak-9s, why don't they (or someone, please!) launch a series of VK-105-powered versions in 1/72?!

Ah well, regardless of scale, it's a step in the right direction. Maybe when the LSP-forum folks start proclaiming how wonderful this new Yak-9 kit is, it'll help publicize the fact that there were other significant WWII/GPW fighter aircraft besides the P-51, and Spitfire, and Bf-109... :wicked:

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that would be very nice indeed, John! And I know a comprehensive book about it that they could purchase for a reasonable price to help them learn more about Soviet WWII fighters. I would also love to see ICM come out with a LaGG-3 in 1/32nd scale. Although I usually avoid 1/48th scale like the plague, I do pick up a 1/32nd scale kit from time to time, such as ICM's lovely little I-153 and I-16 kits. I strongly suspect I'll pick up one (or more) of these Yak-9 kits. I do hope they do several versions, such as the Yak-9T - I'd love to see that, with full engine and 37-mm cannon.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I really want to stay away from 1/32nd but some of these kits lately are not helping

I know the feeling. Italeri's 1/32 F-104A is calling me ... a lot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Maybe when the LSP-forum folks start proclaiming how wonderful this new Yak-9 kit is, it'll help publicize the fact that there were other significant WWII/GPW fighter aircraft besides the P-51, and Spitfire, and Bf-109... :wicked:

John

Absolutely spot on, though I have to confess we have a staff policy to hide any thread where possible that isn't about those three iconic fighters, why only yesterday I hid an RFI of an utterly superb Il-2M3, based on a profile in Viktor Povinsky's ebook, and I think I was the first person outside of Eastern Europe to review the ICM I-16 Type 24 kit, but that was purely a cynical act in the way totalitarian states hold large sporting events/buy soccerball clubs. The last Russian kitset subject I bought was the LEM Kits Il-10, which I'll be doing in the markings of Big Beautiful Doll, gotta love a Mustang!!

• Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9 family by ICM - from 2022

Super news!   Still hankering after much-neglected post-war VVS and PVO jets in 1/32, but this is indeed encouraging. I was napping during the Special Hobby 1/32 Yak-3 window of availability, so have learned to pay more attention. Will sit nicely next to the Bobby Hoss Sturmoviks. 

LSP Tony T

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John Thompson said:

This suggests the question, though - if ICM believe there's a market for Yak-9s, why don't they (or someone, please!) launch a series of VK-105-powered versions in 1/72?!

The answer is trivially simple - because the market for 1/32 scale has nothing to do with the market for 1/72 scale.

20 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Maybe when the LSP-forum folks start proclaiming how wonderful this new Yak-9 kit is, it'll help publicize the fact that there were other significant WWII/GPW fighter aircraft besides the P-51, and Spitfire, and Bf-109... :wicked:

I'll say it again - the modelling industry doesn't work that way. There is even a saying: if you want to go bankrupt, produce exactly what the modellers demand, not what is profitable.

Big companies, like ICM, investing in dozens of steel moulds every year, know the market very well. They know what is not on the market and why it is not there. They also know what is on the market and what quality it is. They have their own profitability analyses, and the set of these analyses is updated on a regular basis, because each company monitors the activities of the competition and new models appearing on the market.

Opinions on forums are irrelevant. If the company's analysis shows that model X will not earn a certain amount, then the company will not make such a model, regardless of how many people on various forums write about this kit.

There is a belief among modellers that they have influenced the release of a model, because they have been writing about it for many years. The truth is that their writing did not make any difference. If the company's next analysis update showed that changes in the market had made a project profitable, then that project goes into the queue to be done.

Finally, design and production plans are made several years in advance and they too are constantly reviewed and modified. If a model is announced today, it does not mean that the decision to release it was made yesterday. It can be in the queue since 2016, the company has complete documentation needed to design it, and the only problem was the lack of capacity and production.

• Like 2

Put me down for one straight away, I've built two 1/32 all resin Yak 1b's (two of)  so a series of Yak 9's in 1/32 scale would go down a treat for me.

Lets hope this is the start of more 1/32 scale VVS subjects being produced by the "majors"

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9T/K by ICM - release Q2 & Q3 2022

Four boxings announced:

- ref. 32090 - Yakovlev Yak-9T - release Q2 2022

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32090

- ref. 32091 - Yakovlev Yak-9K - release Q3 2022

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32091

- ref. 32092 - Yakovlev Yak-9T - Normandy-Niemen with Marcel Lefevre figure - release Q3 2022

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32092

- ref. 32093 - Yakovlev Yak-9T - Normandy-Niemen with Roland de la Poype figure - release Q4 2022

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM32093

Yak9-32090.png

Yak9-2.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:55 AM, marky sparky said:

I'm still waiting for a 1/32 Cessna A-37 Dragonfly, by ANYBODY!

If Roden is listening, a 1/32 A-37 would be complementary to their O-1 Bird Dog and Cessna O-2.

• Like 1

Given ICM's current reputation for high quality, I'll be very curious to see how the market reacts to this Yak-9 kit. Considering that the original's wingspan was approximately 32 feet, the wingspan of a 1/32 model works out to approximately 12 inches. Too big for me, although if the price is right, I could be tempted just for the pleasure of ownership, I suppose.

John

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9T/K by ICM - release Yak-9T in June 2022 & Yak-9K in Q3 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9T/K by ICM - box art+3D renders - release Yak-9T in June 2022 & Yak-9K in Q3 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Yakovlev Yak-9T/K by ICM - box art+3D renders+sprues - release Yak-9T in June 2022 & Yak-9K in Q3 2022

Nice, very nice - those CADs would be worth saving as reference material for anyone (e.g., like me) who happens to be working on a Yak-9T in a less-imposing scale (e.g., like 1/72), if it wasn't for the ICM overprint on them. Oh nuts - I'll save them anyway - thanks, @Homebee!   :thumbsup:

John