Airfix 1/72 Phantom FGR.2 - a couple of questions

Simon

Hello everyone

Now that I've finally finished off my pair of 180 Sqn Mitchells, next along onto the workbench will be an Airfix 1/72 Phantom FGR.2 (just the one at the moment... :whistle:), which will of course be XV415, which currently resides at R.A.F. Boulmer here in Northumberland. Livery and markings to be confirmed, as there's quite a choice from the original Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey/Light aircraft Grey with red/white/blue D type roundels all the way to Barley Grey/MSG/Light Aircraft Grey with red fin it wears now.

The last R.A.F. Phantom I built was the Matchbox one way back in the early 1980s, so it's going to be fun to see how the Airfix one compares (I think I know the answer to that already...:)).

I've been having a look at the reviews of the Airfix kit to see what aftermarket bits are available, and had a dekko at the plastic in the box. First impressions are very good indeed, save that a couple of the sprues seem to have suffered some warpage, which hopefully won't affect the build. Anyway, a couple of questions...

There are two lower wing options in the kit:

Airfix-Phantom-01

Presumably an original wing, and a revised one with strengthening added. When would the strengthening strips have been applied to the airframe, roughly?

And secondly, I see that Air Graphics have replacement 370 gallon underwing tanks:

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/ac-309-mcdd-f-4-phantom-correct-370-gal-fuel-tanks

These are the ones in the kit:

Airfix-Phantom-02

The Air Graphics ones look pointier (without getting too technical, ahem...). Is there much wrong with the kit ones? (This is very much my presumption that they are to replace the Airfix ones, of course...:hmmm:)

Many thanks

Simon

• Like 1

@Simon the strengthening panels came into being some time around-the-clock mid eighties I believe.  Not only do Airfix give them to you on the centre section but also, IIRC, on the tailplanes and on the outer wing panels in way of the rear spar so these'll have to come off if you're depicting XV415 early in her service life.

I've not seen the Air Graphics tanks but one improvement over the Airfix examples is the they're highly unlikely to have the external stiffener on both sides of the tanks.

Other aftermarket that you might want to consider comes from Aerocraft Models in the shape of new intake ducts and splitter plates, new afterburner nozzles and rear fuselage hot gas vents and unladen underwing pylons.  Whether or not you do I'm looking forward to following your work on this kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks @stever219 much appreciated. Thanks for the heads up about checking the tailplanes and outer wing panels.

One of the options I'm considering is to do XV415 as it was around late 1986/early 1987 when it was in the Falklands with 23 Squadron and carried the code letter 'B' on the tail and U/C door. Some might say its time there prepared it well for its retirement to Northumberland...:whistle:

I've already ordered some of the intake ducts from Aerocraft, having read a couple of reviews, but I think a couple of engine nozzles might be worth getting too, especially considering where the sprue gate attachments are on the kit...

Simon

15 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Regarding the outer wing reinforcements, I remember asking specifically about these and got some great answers in this thread:

Thanks for the link Giorgio, that's very helpful indeed.

Simon

Re the  outer wing reinforcement plates. I was re watching the RAF training film called 'Oversight' and it has some nice close ups of 41 Sqn Phantoms circa mid late 1976. The ill fated 'star' of the film XV499 definitely had the plates. They had been fitted long enough to for the wings to have been resprayed.