Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW.2 - COMPLETED 30 Nov 2021.

Started cleaning up the wing folds, still need to rescribe but that's not going to be to taxing. 

Fitted the flap housing thingamabobs on the booms, fit wasn't very good. Bulked out with plasticard, will slap on filler later. 

20211010_170518

Been puttering with other bits and bobs as well. The dangly things under the wings designed to cause emotional events to others are done. Need to pucker up and decide which machine I'm doing about now, probably the HMS Eagle bird so I probably shouldn't of built the Red Tops? Still thinking of putting a mixed load on. Hate mail via PM please! :D

20211010_170439

• Like 5

Proof of life post! 

Got all the dangly bits and tiny avian slicing bits on underneath. Next time, I'm going to not cut out the slots for the pylons but drill holes for pins or something. 

20211017_153556

Tonight going to do all the bits on top. It would be less stressful if Airfix didn't have sprue gates the size of Hulks fingers, attached to something that looks like it comes from a mayfly. 

• Like 5

Proof of life post! 

Got all the dangly bits and tiny avian slicing bits on underneath. Next time, I'm going to not cut out the slots for the pylons but drill holes for pins or something. 

20211017_153556

Tonight going to do all the bits on top. It would be less stressful if Airfix didn't have sprue gates the size of Hulks fingers, attached to something that looks like it comes from a mayfly. 

• Like 7

And top done. My ambition to get things primed this week were a tad too ambitious I think. 

20211017_190141

So glad I got some brass pitot tubes...

20211017_190202

Some cleanup left, and will be well on my way to slapping paint on this week. 

• Like 2

And some priming happened! Need to sort out some spots, as can be seen. 

20211021_204930

One of the parts that worry me slightly is the indentations around the wing folds, looks like the plastic contracted around the molded recesses on the inside. Some gentle filling is needed. 

In other news, tried my hand at painting on the canopy sealant, so that was a first for me. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to lie, the blemish fixing took some time. But started doing fun stuff, so huzzah! 

Started marbling with Tamiya XF-54/83/25/23 in that order, trying to focus the last 2 on the high spots and leading edges. 

20211030_143902

Then hit with a really thin (~25% paint) layer of Mr Color 333 (EDSG) with a dash of C366 (Intermediate Blue). 

20211030_204819

Going to seal that with a Semi Gloss coat and tomorrow start on the underbelly. 

• Like 9

Taking @David H suggestion to heart, did a thing layer of C333 to tone things down. 

20211031_113338

Now for the white underbelly. 

Can't decide if I want to use greys (Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey > 19 Sky Grey> 80 Royal Light Grey [??? L.A.G?]) or Browns (XF-68 NATO Brown+60 Dark Yellow ~1:1 > 57 Buff > 55 Deck Tan) for the marbling of the white. Leaning towards to Browns to give a dirtier look. Open to suggestions. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

This might be a plan. Will check what it looks like under natural light a bit later this morning. 

This was the right move. I know you want to achieve a somewhat uneven effect but i think one last pass with thinned down 333 was the right thing to do.

-d-

Nice work with the marbling and top side coat...

You can use a mixture of browns and grey's for the underside, but keep it with some light colors... otherwise the contrast can be to much.  Afterwards you can still play with handpainting various shades of white on details, and slightly washing/ painting separate panels with diluted white oilpaint...

291608-11032-18-pristine.jpg

Still added a very lightgrey panellining:

293922-11032-79-pristine.jpg

292992-11032-80-pristine.jpg

And that error on the right wing decal halted this project... don't know what happened there...

Edited by Silenoz
  • Like 1

So eventually got the underbelly done. 

Used Tamiya Red Brown, Desert Yellow, Buff and Deck Tan to get the marbling done in the end. 

20211106_195445

Then some thin coats of Mr Color 62 Flat White and a final heavily thinned coat of Mr Color 316 Insignia White to blend it all. 

20211107_184717

Going to leave that overnight, then wheel and flap bays in XF-25 (closest I have to Steel Grey H87 I hope). Then time to get ready for decals. 

• Like 10

:swear:

20211109_223906

Important tip kids. When you say to yourself "Nah, I won't use the paint cup cover on my airbrush, it's a short spray, what's the worst that can happen", the above happens. 

Sigh. So instead of starting the decals tomorrow, I will be sanding back the messed X-22 & MLT oops on the top and bottom, and fixing the damage. Eurgh. 

• Sad 6

Well, previous mistake rectified (kind of, the joys of mixing shades and replication later mysteries aside...) and got decals down with a gloss coat ready for panel washing.

Now the conundrum. I really don't use pure black wash outside of wheel bays and the like, but EDSG is kinda dark, so I'm leaning towards black. Maybe mix a touch of Tamiya Dark Grey with the Black? As a bonus idiosyncrasy, I personally find using light grey washes a bit odd too. Eh. 

20211115_203333

20211115_203355

Yes. Went with the HMS Eagle bird in the end. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Have you tried Tamiya NATO Black?

John

Toying with the idea of Rubber Black homebrew actually, don't own terribly many enamel paints. 

[Edit] - just checked, have a pot of XF-63 German Grey enamel too. Think that's going to be darker than my EDSG? 

[Edit part deux] - had a sod it moment and ended up using Paynes Gray + dash Lamp Black oil paint on the EDSG. Hope it doesn't take too long to dry, want to finish the oil work by the weekend.

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Info