Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW.2 - COMPLETED 30 Nov 2021.

When i did my Buccaneer i think i used a wash of Humbrol 205 on the top surfaces, and i mixed up two MM Light Greys for the gloss white undersurfaces, though my white belly is a lot more pristine and brilliant that yours is.

I agree that something like black or EDSG would be too obnoxious.

-d-

Edited by David H
memory is unreliable.

Started on the oil paint part today. So far got everything besides the undersurface done, will do that tomorrow when the top has had time to dry a bit. Hopefully can get final assembly done during the week ready for the weekend. Still need to do the ejection seats but that should take an evening or two. Sadly my resin wheels aren't here yet, so have to use the kit ones for the local IPMS thingy (unless they get here Tuesdsay latest somehow....).

20211120_201819

• Like 9

And the 2 M.B Mk 4's are done. Just need to get a matt coat down on the rest and can start putting all the bits and bobs on. Sadly my resin wheels are only due here next week, so this is not only going to miss this weekends event (bugger), but it's going to have to sit quietly next to me whilst I get the wheels done. Sigh. Cest la vie. 

20211123_195113

• Like 4

I like the way you are going about the painting. However as an ex FAA grubber (maintainer), there is no way we would have let our cabs look so grubby. Friday was wash day and all the cabs on the squadron would be scrubbed and washed and then given an oil wipe, The main idea was to keep an eye on corrosion, being that the cabs operated in a slt laden atmosphere. It was imperative to fresh water wash and then look for corrosion.

However, I understand the current trend to accentuate panel lines etc.

Colin

• Like 3

11 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I like the way you are going about the painting. However as an ex FAA grubber (maintainer), there is no way we would have let our cabs look so grubby. Friday was wash day and all the cabs on the squadron would be scrubbed and washed and then given an oil wipe, The main idea was to keep an eye on corrosion, being that the cabs operated in a slt laden atmosphere. It was imperative to fresh water wash and then look for corrosion.

However, I understand the current trend to accentuate panel lines etc.

Colin

Not sure how to respond to this. 

spacer.png

This picture feels off to me somehow, edited or posed, but including it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will freely admit these are examples from the extreme end of the spectrum, for every one of these I can find examples that are way less grubby. 

Unless of course "cab" is slang for cockpit, in which ignore the above. Finding authentic colour pictures of that hasn't been fruitful for me at least.  

Phew, calling it done. Not a bad kit, but next time I'm not deploying the flaps, I think I made a horrible mess of it. 

Also, if I break that pitot tube off again, I'm going to do something in my pants my mom took a few years to teach me not to do. :swear:

20211130_222843

20211130_223210

20211130_223316

20211130_223347

This is a big old bird, need a bigger picture box :D

Feel free to critique. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• Evil_Toast_RSA changed the title to Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW.2 - COMPLETED 30 Nov 2021.
53 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I'm quite tempted to try the Revell 1/72 offering.

The Frog rebox or Cyber Hobby rebox? For some reason my spidey senses tingle when it comes to the C.H kit, can't remember where I read up on it being a bit deformed I think? 

I understand that the recent release is the Cyber Hobby rebox and I've seen a fair bit of grumbling (on here, but what's new? 😉) about its shape, but I remain intrigued nonetheless...

Edited by Bobby No Mac

What a beautiful model a work of art

I can remember seeing the Vixens all returning to RNAS Heron for the last time when the Hms Eagle was decommissioned.

Quite a site all covered in graffiti done by the Squadron crew.

• Thanks 1