New 1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, converted to a B.35 (and a PR.XVI!) with the help of Freightdog Models ***FINISHED****

tonyot

Bit of a glitch,..... the ED Model SEAC roundels struggled to cover the strengthening strake on the side of the fuselage as it couldn`t bend enough, despite using Decalfix,.... and while matt varnishing the SEAC model today the roundel broke and I lost the bit which detached! 

DSCF2352.jpg

No worries,.... I cut out another roundel from the Airfix Beaufighter kit,..... seen under the model,..... and hopefully that will do the trick!??

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Great looking Mozzies Tony & the decal issue is a mere hiccough to a man of your calibre!

Edge

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's a shame Tony , glad you sorted a replacement decal though.

Chris 

Thanks Fella`s,..... yeah got it sorted now,...... just doing a bit of panel highlighing and weathering tonight.  

• Like 2

Looking good Tony.

Love the SEAC with the blue stripes. Your silver finishes really shows off to great effect the new tooling efforts Airfix has invested. 

I'm gone for the week pursuing another hobby, no doubt these will be finished when I return, can't wait to see 'em !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Looking good Tony.

Love the SEAC with the blue stripes. Your silver finishes really shows off to great effect the new tooling efforts Airfix has invested. 

I'm gone for the week pursuing another hobby, no doubt these will be finished when I return, can't wait to see 'em !!!

Thanks Allan,..... yeah the detail is nice on the Airfix kits. 

Right,... another update,......

Some more work done,.......

DSCF2353.jpg

Starting with the Airfix bomber,...... I have highlighted the panel lines, added the propellers, undercarriage, bomb bay details and doors. As I had elected to leave off the exhausts to aid painting, to fit them from the outside I had to trim the lower part of the backing a bit to enable them to slip into place. The bombs have also been painted and will be added later after the decals have been put on them;

DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2356.jpg

Onto the Airfix kit converted to a PR.XVI,..... the same really,..... undercarriage, propellers,, PRU Blue painted drop tanks,..... ad the same with the exhausts;

DSCF2358.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

And the underside showing the Freightdog flat bomb bay doors in place;

DSCF2362.jpg

Last of all the Hasegawa kit as another PR.XVI, this time in RAAF markings,...... it has also had a watercolour wash, the propellers and undercarriage added etc. The resin drop tanks had to be tidied up a little due to a super glue accident so need a few more coats of PRU Blue. As I had some bomb bay items left over from the above Airfi kit I used them to dress the bomb bay of this model and included them, along with the kits bomb bay doors.

DSCF2363.jpg

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2365.jpg

So that is it for now,..... hopefully they will be finished by the weekend,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Brilliant post and very useful; I made one kit out of the box, warts and all, just to show you chaps what you got for your money. Now,  as I still have two kits to make. I now know what to get in order to build them 'properly' into B. XVIs - cheers Tony, this thread is a very useful resource!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

All three looking really very nice indeed, Tony.

Thanks Mark,..... I just hope I don`t much them up at the last hurdle! 

7 hours ago, Simon Nonymous said:

Brilliant post and very useful; I made one kit out of the box, warts and all, just to show you chaps what you got for your money. Now,  as I still have two kits to make. I now know what to get in order to build them 'properly' into B. XVIs - cheers Tony, this thread is a very useful resource!

Thanks Simon,.... wow,.... praise indeed mate! I glad that you have found my meanderings of interest!

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They are all looking absolutely superb Tony . Great work fella as usual. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris,...... like I sid above,.... I jut hope that I don`t bugger them up at the last hurdle,..... put a few exhaust stains etc on them today and now trying to sort out the canopies as my masking was useless,..... as usual!

Just for info,..... here are the Mossies with my other current,...... `on the go' models;

DSCF2371.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am sure you won't muck up any of them fella. Nice tray of projects, looking forward to seeing the Mosdies and the Sea Gladiator emerge and the Vampire is looking very nice, are you doing as T11 or T22???

Great work Tony

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... the Vampire will be a T.11 mate,.... to add to my 45 Sqn collection. I also have an earlier variant on the go with the original canopy,..... again in 45 Sqn markings. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heloman1 said:

That's a busy work area you have Tony!!!

Colin

Just the table next to the settee where I model mate.  Put them all on there just to photograph them. 

• Like 1

OK, now yer just showing off, Tony! My Gawd, man- are you prolific or what? I can't decide which Mossie I like the best, as they are all the bee's knees! Having said that, I am just a sucker for a silver Mossie with blue bands! You are da man! :worthy:

Mike

• Haha 1

Hiya Folks,.... well I`m calling them done!

Here are the two Airfix Mossies;

DSCF2423-NEW.jpg

14 Sqn B.35, post war Germany;

DSCF2410-NEW.jpg

DSCF2399-NEW.jpg

DSCF2401-NEW.jpg

DSCF2402-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF2403-NEW-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF2409-NEW.jpg

DSCF2425-NEW.jpg

DSCF2430-NEW.jpg

SEAC PR.XVI;

DSCF2387-NEW.jpg

DSCF2382-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF2383-NEW.jpg

DSCF2387-NEW.jpg

DSCF2396-NEW.jpg

DSCF2392-NEW.jpg

And last of all the Hasegawa conversion from my mate Lee, built as an 87 Sqn RAAF PR.XVI,..... I had a bit of a disaster with the canopy on this one!

DSCF2433-NEW.jpg

DSCF2441-NEW.jpg

DSCF2443-NEW.jpg

DSCF2446-NEW.jpg

So that is it! I probably took o too much building three at once,..... but the new Airfix kit is a beaut as long as you know where the faults lie!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 23

• tonyot changed the title to New 1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, converted to a B.35 (and a PR.XVI!) with the help of Freightdog Models ***FINISHED****
22 minutes ago, Natter said:

Three very nice mosquitos there Tony, fine advertisements for the new Airfix kit though the Hasegawa still looks the part when finished so nicely.

Thanks Dave,..... I`m really annoyed at myself for screwing up the canopy o the Hasegawa kit,..... but these things happen!