New 1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, converted to a B.35 (and a PR.XVI!) with the help of Freightdog Models ***FINISHED****

tonyot

So, Tony - do you have a Mosquito production line set up in your workshop modelled after the Willow Run B-24 line? You'll be turning out Mossie replicas at the rate of one every 59 minutes! Excellent work mate!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Or maybe it's like Zavod 18 in Kuibyshev (Samara) with its Il-2s, about one every 30 minutes or so, I believe. At any rate, it's an impressive assembly line, Tony, and at this rate I say build all those different PR.34's - I mean one's prettier than another, as it were.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Wow- preview of coming attractions, Tony?  NS644/G has always been my favorite PRXVI! I just now noticed the different fuselage roundel in the second photo of her you posted compared to the photo above it. Wonder why?

Mike

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow- preview of coming attractions, Tony?  NS644/G has always been my favorite PRXVI! I just now noticed the different fuselage roundel in the second photo of her you posted compared to the photo above it. Wonder why?

Mike

When I said I mean to do them all,..... I did mean `eventually',...... not all of them now! I only have three Mossies on the go here!I need to decide which ones to do here.

Re the roundel of NS644,..... a white ring was added to the fuselage,....and later the wing roundels,..... because the stripes were not having an effect on USAAF P-51 pilots who continued to shoot these Mossies down,..... so they decided to make the roundels more obvious too!  

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They're all cracking schemes Tony, have you got any more Mossies? Don't tell SWMBO, I said that, she'll be after me!!!

Great choices and lovely photos   looking forward to seeing your choices progress.

As above Chris,.... just three Mossies for now,.... although  do intend to build all of these options,..... eventually!! 

• Like 1

Hi Tony, another superb build. Great reference pics and especially the painting, lots of atmosphere!

I'm not sure we needed another Mossie but then I'm no expert. I may just purchase one, as when I first came to SA, I worked with a guys who was a SAAF navigator in Italy.

He mentioned the groundcrew used to stop a couple of beers in the double entry door., so they would get chilled at altitude. He heard the bottles clanking around whilst they were manoeuvring. He opened the inner door to reveal the beers. They drink them then peed in the bottles. Only happened the once! Ha!

It looks like a good kit.

Colin

• Haha 4

Great stuff! I love that painting of the low level Mossies, very cool. I’m interested to follow this as I have the exact same decal sheet but in 1/48, along with an old Airfix NF.30 to turned into a post-war NF.36. This looks like a really good build so far.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Tony, another superb build. Great reference pics and especially the painting, lots of atmosphere!

I'm not sure we needed another Mossie but then I'm no expert. I may just purchase one, as when I first came to SA, I worked with a guys who was a SAAF navigator in Italy.

He mentioned the groundcrew used to stop a couple of beers in the double entry door., so they would get chilled at altitude. He heard the bottles clanking around whilst they were manoeuvring. He opened the inner door to reveal the beers. They drink them then peed in the bottles. Only happened the once! Ha!

It looks like a good kit.

Colin

Cheers Colin and love the story,...... I once did similar when the CO demanded I make him a cup of tea while out in the field,......only for him to them pass it around the RSM and the rest of the head shed,...... I was called over and scolded for what they assumed was putting salt in the brew instead of sugar!! Again,.... I was only asked once!

When I was writing the series of books about the RAF in Germany which never went to press,...... that painting was to have been the cover picture for the first one!

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Great stuff! I love that painting of the low level Mossies, very cool. I’m interested to follow this as I have the exact same decal sheet but in 1/48, along with an old Airfix NF.30 to turned into a post-war NF.36. This looks like a really good build so far.

Thanks mate,...... and I love that painting too. It is a shame that no clear bulged nose exists for that NF.36 kit,...... with a radar inside. I might have a go at scratchig something up one day? I also like the 39 Sqn mossies based in Egypt with the squadron bars,.... but Colin never did that one in 1/48th scale which is a shame.

Right,.... no progress today as I`ve decided to make a bit of progress o this  ICM 1/32nd Sea Gladiator instead and stick the aftermarket decals from AIMS Decals on,...... then time for the dreaded rigging;

DSCF2315-NEW.jpg

DSCF2316-NEW.jpg

And the decals on,.... I know the roundel colours are the bright pre war style but the blue of the roundels looks much lighter in the photos than they actually are,..... maybe due to the flash? 

DSCF2317-NEW.jpg

DSCF2319-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 14

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this is a lovely surprise Tony,  the Sea Gladiator looks lovely,  is that N5519 on HMS Glorious?

Great work and good luck with the rigging.

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yeah N5519 of Malta fame while based aboard Glorious,...... I do like that scheme, just a shame lots of people think that the upper wing markings are blue rather than yellow. Dreading the rigging,..... hate it!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... yeah N5519 of Malta fame while based aboard Glorious,...... I do like that scheme, just a shame lots of people think that the upper wing markings are blue rather than yellow. Dreading the rigging,..... hate it!

Yes a lovely scheme, I wonder if the blue mix up comes from earlier aircraft, like the Flycatcher? As the Top wing had the yellow stripe with a blue stripe either side of it perhaps???

You'll be fine with the rigging fella, you've done a few Gladiators and they look great.

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes a lovely scheme, I wonder if the blue mix up comes from earlier aircraft, like the Flycatcher? As the Top wing had the yellow stripe with a blue stripe either side of it perhaps???

You'll be fine with the rigging fella, you've done a few Gladiators and they look great.

Chris

Thanks mate,..... I think the blue comes from poor interpretation of black and white photos to be fair,..... orthochromatic film making the yellow look dark. 

• Like 1

A quick update,..... got the canopies etc on the models today and they are almost ready to paint,...... the two Airfix kits here will be overall silver;

DSCF2320.jpg

DSCF2323.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 12

Looking good Tony, I di like the clear wingtips. Maybe I should have asked the guy I worked with for a look at his flying log and got more info! Stefaan would certainly been very interested.

Colin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dickbarton99 said:

oerd set  sent friday but not had it yet  might be lost

I take it that you mean the resin Freightdog set? Have you contacted Colin? 

Thanks for this Tony, I've just gotten my first Mossie here in the US the other night.

I'm really pleased and excited to start it. I'm amazed at how much bashing this kit has gotten by people who haven't built it and how easy the fixes are with a simple sanding stick. Bomb fairing notwithstanding.

Tis why we've all earned the honored title of "Air-fixers".

thumbnail_(301).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

I did my own Mossie build years ago and will not repeat THAT anytime soon, but it takes awhile to forget how much fun I didn't have what with all scratched cockpits, etc.. Oh, and a GB deadline.

The three classics, Matchbox, FROG, Airfix

P1010097.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

P1010045.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Can't wait to see what you do with these, following along closely and taking notes. My build should start first week of December, by then all the terrible flaws that make this so unbuildable should have come to light !!!

I'm kidding about the "unbuildable" of course. You've so aptly demonstrated that is clearly NOT the case !! Build on !!!

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Thanks for this Tony, I've just gotten my first Mossie here in the US the other night.

I'm really pleased and excited to start it. I'm amazed at how much bashing this kit has gotten by people who haven't built it and how easy the fixes are with a simple sanding stick. Bomb fairing notwithstanding.

Tis why we've all earned the honored title of "Air-fixers".

thumbnail_(301).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

I did my own Mossie build years ago and will not repeat THAT anytime soon, but it takes awhile to forget how much fun I didn't have what with all scratched cockpits, etc.. Oh, and a GB deadline.

The three classics, Matchbox, FROG, Airfix

P1010097.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

P1010045.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Can't wait to see what you do with these, following along closely and taking notes. My build should start first week of December, by then all the terrible flaws that make this so unbuildable should have come to light !!!

I'm kidding about the "unbuildable" of course. You've so aptly demonstrated that is clearly NOT the case !! Build on !!!

Glad you got your kit Allan, cheers and WOW,..... those Mossies are fabulous mate,..... a real credit to you. 

A bit more of a update,.........

First the Hasegawa kit,..... first coat of PRU Blue applied;

DSCF2327.jpg

And onto the Airfix kits,..... both have had a few coats of Tamiya rattle can Bare Metal Silver applied,.... the bomber has its 14 Sqn yellow spinners and the PR.XVI has blue spiners,.... I still need to mask off the SEAC stripes;

DSCF2328.jpg

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2331.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see some paint on Tony, these are looking good fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... I hated masking those canopies and I`ve probably made a pigs ear of them,.... we`ll see soon!

• Like 1

A further update,..... decals going on!!

DSCF2338.jpg

The markings for the SEAC PR.XVI came from the spares box,...... although I wasn`t veryhappy with the upper wing roundels as seen,...... so it was time to find some which looked better and they ca be seen here with the other models;

DSCF2343.jpg

Here are the two silver Airfix kits;

DSCF2345.jpg

DSCF2348.jpg

And the Hasegawa kit,...... I have changed the canopy on this one and used a Falcon vacuformed canopy, to which I will add a bubble later on,..... a pair of resin wing tanks have been fitted care of my mate Lee who gave me the kit,....... I have added a set of Aeroclub white metal exhausts and have also added the rear set of wing tip lights, then filled and sanded them before painting the wing tip PRU Blue along with the resin wing tanks. Also,.... thanks to my friend Franta at DK Decal I also had a reference photo of the real aeroplane to hand which helped place the decals;

DSCF2346.jpg

So they have been varnished again and left for the the night now,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 16

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow,  they look absolutely lovely Tony, great work on all.

Chris 

Cheer Chris,..... glad you like them mate. 

• Like 1