New 1/72nd Airfix Mosquito, converted to a B.35 (and a PR.XVI!) with the help of Freightdog Models ***FINISHED****

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Well I`m very glad to see the new Airfix 1/72nd Mosquito B.XVI kit released at last and it looks very nice indeed,,...... I intend to build quite a few and want to start off with a conversion to a B.35 version operated post war from Celle in Germany by 14 Sqn, RAF. As others have said already,.....the bomb doors are incorrect for a bomber version,..... but they are correct for a target tug and as I intend to build one of these at some stage,.... I`m not complaining as the detail can easily be sanded smooth. The bulge behind the bomb doors looks like nothing I`ve seen on a Mossie though,.... maybe it is specific to a TT too,.... I`d have to research it more,..... but it is wrong for a B.35 and needs to go! Thankfully Freightdog Models are releasing a number of resin sets for this kit, which include a B.35, so I have oe of these on order,.... plus they do a decal sheet with the very Mosquito that I want to build,..... a overall silver 14 Sqn aircraft,..... so lets crack on!

Here is the kit and the Freightdog decal sheet;

DSCF2246.jpg

A closer look at the sheet,..... I`m proud to say that I helped research this sheet and the option that I`m building, which is CX-B at the top of the sheet!

DSCF2247.jpg

Here are the parts, mostly pre painted on the sprue,.... ready to build;

DSCF2250.jpg

I did have a problem with the bomber canopy as it had some moulding problems, almost as if something had been draped over it while the plastic was still wet,....... but after a few e mails to and fro with Airfix and some proof that I had purchased the kit,..... they sent me a replacement which was fine;

DSCF2251.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

Personally I think the detail is just right and it certainly looks the part.

Here are the parts from Freightdog,..... the photos are taken from their facebook page,..... because they have not arrived yet,.... having only been released today! ,... The first set shown is the B.35 set, seen dry fitted to a kit;

241770807-4934186603275651-6425635654952

And here is another view of the B.35 set along with the other set released today for a H2S equipped Mosquito B.XVI (H2S) with flat bomb bay doors;

241689321-4934221283272183-5758255565714

So,.. I`ll be having a whittle away tonight and crack on while awaiting the resin parts,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 29

Tony's quick off the mark as usual! Posted them today without instructions as I can see your raring to go, and I'm still writing them! Rest of orders going out next week.

Nice to see my decal sheet being used. Sadly long out of production, and not viable to reprint due to cost.

Colin

• Like 6

I was wondering when you’d get to this! 

Here is the belly of RS719 at Duxford from last month. Dunno if it helps but ironically some of the TT bits appear to have been removed! 

Mosquito

Mosquito

Even the real thing may not be authentic 🤷

Trevor the confused 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the encouragement and kind works folks,...... 

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I was wondering when you’d get to this! 

Here is the belly of RS719 at Duxford from last month. Dunno if it helps but ironically some of the TT bits appear to have been removed! 

Mosquito

Mosquito

Even the real thing may not be authentic 🤷

Trevor the confused 

Briiliant pics Trevor and I see what you mean,..... I`m not sure where Airfix got the idea for the bulged fairing behind the bomb bay doors,...... I had presumed it was a TT mod?

Edited by tonyot

While building this kit, I also decided to tag this build on too,...... my mate Lee sent me some Hasegawa kits with resin twin blown Merlin nacelles that he did`t fancy finishing off,..... so here is one of them,...... with the fuselage and wings assembled,......I`ll probably finish it as a RAAF PR.XIV;

DSCF2257.jpg

DSCF2258.jpg

SO,...... MASSIVE THANKS LEE,..... YOU ARE A STAR MATE!!!

As you will see,..... the Airfix kit has much more detail, especially inside the cockpit!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Tony's quick off the mark as usual! Posted them today without instructions as I can see your raring to go, and I'm still writing them! Rest of orders going out next week.

Nice to see my decal sheet being used. Sadly long out of production, and not viable to reprint due to cost.

Colin

Thanks Colin,.... I`m looking forward to receiving them mate,.... I wasn`t trying to hurry you up!! 

As long as Colin's on the job, we'll soon have this B.35/TT.35 business sorted out, and I'll be glad to see how you get on with it Tony, as this kit is definitely on my short 'to-buy' list (my long 'to-buy' list now runs to several volumes, making Edward Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' look like a leaflet).

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 6

This looks like one for me to tag along on too, especially as your choice of subject is one I've had planned for ages. It was originally going to be a Tamiya kit with Paragon bits but I think I'll go down the same road you are. It'd be rude not to buy an Airfix kit & Freightdog bits I reckon. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

I`ve had a busy few hours but they have been fruitful,......

Started with the cockpit,..... unfortunately the radio from the rear decking has pinged off into the ether and I cannot find it,...... hopefully it will turn out somewhere silly!

DSCF2265-NEW.jpg

DSCF2269-NEW.jpg

DSCF2270-NEW.jpg

As we`ve all thought,.... Airfix must have other variants including a PR version on the cards at some point (years?) as there are flashed over holes etc in the lower rear fuselage for camera ports;

DSCF2274-NEW.jpg

Speaking of the rear fuselage,..... I`m quite bemused by the bulged area behind the bomb bay doors. I`m far from an expert on this,.... but I thought that it was the same width as the bomb bay and not narrower,... a depicted here by Airfix. I thought that it might be a feature of the TT,35, as per the bomb bay doors,..... but looking at the photos sent by Trevor I`m not sure now?

DSCF2279-NEW.jpg

Fuselage joined,... and onto the wings and engines;

DSCF2277-NEW.jpg

Tailplane on,..... which was simplicity itself,..... the engine nacelle parts are laid out,..... note the inserts for accepting the exhausts later on which need adding to the inside of the nacelles

DSCF2280-NEW.jpg

DSCF2282-NEW.jpg

One down,.... one to go,.....

DSCF2283-NEW.jpg

And before you know it,..... the wings are on, with engines attached!

DSCF2285-NEW.jpg

Lastly for tonight,..... I have added the clear wing tips,... which will of course be painted later apart from the small ligt at the tip;

DSCF2288-NEW.jpg

So there we go,..... for now!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Speaking of the rear fuselage,..... I`m quite bemused by the bulged area behind the bomb bay doors. I`m far from an expert on this,.... but I thought that it was the same width as the bomb bay and not narrower,... a depicted here by Airfix. I thought that it might be a feature of the TT,35, as per the bomb bay doors,..... but looking at the photos sent by Trevor I`m not sure now?

The Airfix bomb doors and fairing are correct for a TT35. The Duxford Mosquito has been converted back to B35 configuration and given a TT35 paint job whilst the Cosford mosquito remains in TT35 configuration but is painted as a B35....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks for the encouragement and kind works folks,...... 

Briiliant pics Trevor and I see what you mean,..... I`m not sure where Airfix got the idea for the bulged fairing behind the bomb bay doors,...... I had presumed it was a TT mod?

Maybe some of the obvious bits were removed for filming 633 Squadron? 

Trevor

• Like 1

It wouldn`t be a Tony O`Toole thread without some reference,...... so here we are!

First off,.... here is the subject of my model,..... as depicted in this superb painting by Anthony Cowland GAvA,..... showing how low these aircraft flew, here it is seen over the UK during an exercise, flying from its German base to exercise Fighter Command;

g-F09-01-copy.jpg

Ad here is the real VP202, CX-B  a its home base at Wahn;

CX-B-Wahn-1948-14-sqn-association.jpgVP202-CX-B-at-W-Malling-1950-14-sqn-asso

And here are a mix of pics showing other 14 Sqn Mosquito B.35`s,...... they did operate a mix of camouflaged and silver aircraft, but I`m opting for a silver one,..... and maybe a camouflaged one from another of the BAFO Mossie Wing`s aircraft from Celle,.... possibly 98 Sqn;

mosquito-VP191-CX-X-Celle-1949-14-sqn-as

Original-photo-RAF-Mosquito-B35-VP191-14Mosquito-TH999.jpg

2-TA695-Wahn-1948-Mike-Levy.jpg

1-Sqn-Ldr-Goode-s-Ac-Wahn-1948-Mike-Levy

And a superb photo of 14 Sqn Mossies, Ex Dagger in 1948 when the majority of aircraft were still camouflaged,... most of these photos were sourced from the 14 Sqn Association, with thanks;

mosquito-Operation-Dagger-5-Sep-1948-14-

The RAF Museum at Hendon have a Mosquito B.35 which served at Celle in Germany as part of BAFO with 98 Sqn;

mossie-and-pioneer.jpg

DSCF5698-NEW.jpg

Picture-417.jpg

Picture-421.jpg

And here are some interior reference pics;

Bomb Bay,.... this is the Mosquito Air Museum aircraft, I could not find those I took of the RAF Museum aircraft.....;

Bomb-Bay-Front-zpsbaty5tzf.jpg

Bomb-Bay-Port-zps9atrmpni.jpg

And the bomb bay of the RAF Museum aircraft at Hendon;

800px-RAF-Museum-London-082.jpg

Bomb Stowage;

smithsonian-4-bomb-install-in-fuselage-0

Wheel Well;

hen-mosq-23-medium-zpsyympzose.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The Airfix bomb doors and fairing are correct for a TT35. The Duxford Mosquito has been converted back to B35 configuration and given a TT35 paint job whilst the Cosford mosquito remains in TT35 configuration but is painted as a B35....

Clear as mud,.......but,..... I know exactly what you mean though and had a feeling that might be the case,..... so thanks for clearing it up Dave,... much appreciated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Ad here is the real VP202, CX-B  a its home base at Wahn;

Note the landing lights in the stbd wing leading edge - use the clear part from the airfix kit - and the tropical carburettor intakes - the other ones in the kit, not the ones shown in the instructions. 

There's also the drop tank mounts and and various aerials to scratch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Note the landing lights in the stbd wing leading edge - use the clear part from the airfix kit - and the tropical carburettor intakes - the other ones in the kit, not the ones shown in the instructions. 

There's also the drop tank mounts and and various aerials to scratch.

Cheers Dave,.... all noted and am doing mate. Both types of carb intakes are provided in the kit and I`ve fitted the tropical ones,..... the wing light clear cover has been left off until after painting and I`m thinking of adding the drop tanks,..... if not,... then some scrap plastic for the mount should suffice, like I did for an Aussie model. The wing antennae will be added from wire afte painting. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave Swindell said:

I thought you'd be on the ball, just thought a heads up worth mentioning just in case, and for others contemplating the conversion.

No it is much appreciated mate, nice to have somebody watching my back,..... ta bud.

• Like 1

As mentioned,..... Airfix have depicted the bomb bay doors and rear fairing from a Mosquito TT.35,..... as per the Cosford aircraft,... I hope that fellow Britmodeller Rossm doesn`t mind me borrowing his close up of the rear fairing to make the point,..... great pic mate;

800-b-35-cosford.jpgrossm-britmodeller-photo-cosford-tt-35.j

The RAF Museums other Mosquito at Hendon, although finished as it was when serving as a B.35 with 98 Sqn at Celle,..... was also converted to a TT.35 at a later date in its career and so it also has the cut away rear bulged section behind the bomb doors. Thankfully the bomb doors appear more authentic for a bomber variant!

9254602370-443e05c3b9-c.jpg

So thankfully Colin at Freightdog has a correct part for this area for those wanting to do a bomber variant,..... I believe a PR version is soon to follow too,..... good oh! I mut admit at being disappointed when I saw this area of the Airfix kit,...... LIDAR is good but you cannot beat esearch too!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9