Jump to content

N3196 XT-L - "Stapme" Stapleton's Spitfire Mk1a, any references for the squadron code on this aircraft?


WLJayne
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

 

As part of our 1/144 "Spitfire Mk1 Vs Bf109E" set, we're including markings for Stapme's N3196 XT-L and Franz Von Werra's "Black Chevron" as documented on their 5th September 1940 dogfight over Kent. However we're having some trouble deciding the most accurate squadron code on the spitfire. Here's our WIP profile (top image,) which shows the letters as per a few oil paintings and sketches, however other 603 spits photographed in the same week show a different config. Which do you think is correct? Are there any photos around? As always, we welcome corrections and constructive feedback 😀. Many thanks!

 

Will.

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by WLJayne
Spelling correction.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My references suggest 24" grey codes with a 25 inch or 30 inch under wing roundel near the tip for XT-M although the grey codes on other machines in the squadron could possibly be larger (27 or even 30 inch) so a good photo is needed which unfortunately I don't have. However there is a well known pic of XT-D/ X4260 which landed in Calais on the 6th September 1940 and its codes also appear to be quite small as well as in 24" so this would be my own personal 'best guess'.

 

Regards

Colin.

 

Ps. For me personally the code letters look too big on both these colour profiles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WLJayne said:

however other 603 spits photographed in the same week show a different config. Which do you think is correct?

RAF Sq codes are the proverbial can of worms.    If you do not have a photo of N3196,  and there may well not be one, BoB photos are rare, photography was illegal on bases, and given the time,  thisis the era when photos are rarest.   If not,  then it's 'best guess' from other planes in the squadrons, which usually,  are similar in size and 'font'  by this, but as there was no specified 'font'  this did vary.  As did code running order, this was not specified, and did vary.   Offhand I don't know if the starboard running order was XT-M, or M-XT. 

EDIT this is earlier, but  lacking anything else,  codes likely to have run like this later.  I forgot some early Spitfire have 25" A type

9088534ec31af155b4589e2164606518.jpg

 

 

as N3196 is an older airframes, 

"N3196Ia437EAMIIIFF 27-11-39 27MU 2-1-40 41Sq 14-4-40 ASTH 5-5-40 603Sq 3-9-40 shot down by Bf109 force-landed P/O Stapleton safe 7-9-40 AST 57OTU 7-8-41 dived into ground Shotley Bridge Northumberland CE 9-4-43 SOC 25-4-43"

then as built would have had 35 inch A roundel on fuselage, and black/white undersides,   so the roundel may have been repainted to the 35" A1, or just had a yellow ring added to existing, these varied in width.   Again, the underside would be repainted into Sky, or 'sky mix' or a substitute. 

 

Note if the profile of XT-M/X4277 is supposed to be the based on the photo above this is another demonstration of my sig line on profiles... 

 

6 hours ago, WLJayne said:

Are there any photos around?

No idea.  

 

@lasermonkey has/had a photobucket with lots of Spitfire photos.   

I don't know if there was anything in the Wingleader photo Album. @Mark Postlethwaite  maybe able to help.

One chap who is not on here, but has a large archive is Dilip Sarkar,  @AndyL  knows him, and may know more.

 

If I find out any more, I'll add it in.

 

edit this is XT-D as mentioned by Colin,  these look to be 24 inch high codes in comparison to the roundel.  

Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-603Sqn-XTD-PO-J.R-Cais

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeed that profile of XT-M is wrong in just about every way as far as the codes and roundels go. I hope this is taken as "constructive feedback" as requested.

The X and T should go from the bottom of the yellow ring to the top of the white one. The top position is correct but they are too tall. The M should be quite stretched out and goes all the way to the serial - the photo is not good enough to say if it overlaps the serial. The roundel seems to be correct except the red dot is too large.

Edit - The posts below may be correct in that the yellow cutting ring is drawn too wide on the profile. I would fix the red dot first, then consider whether the yellow was in proportion. If it's wrong, it's not very wrong!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The roundel on ZD-D definitely appears to differ from that on the two aircraft behind both in terms of size and proportions and the one on XT-D is different again suggesting a degree of variation even within an individual squadron. This may be due in part to older machines having their original roundels 'added to' (quite common) in order to meet the revised colour requirements with the yellow outer ring whilst new/fresh machines would have had the new standard applied at the factory therefore providing greater consistency.

 

Regards

Colin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Indeed that profile of XT-M is wrong in just about every way as far as the codes and roundels go. I hope this is taken as "constructive feedback" as requested.

The X and T should go from the bottom of the yellow ring to the top of the white one. The top position is correct but they are too tall. The M should be quite stretched out and goes all the way to the serial - the photo is not good enough to say if it overlaps the serial. The roundel seems to be correct except the red dot is too large.

Edit - The posts below may be correct in that the yellow cutting ring is drawn too wide on the profile. I would fix the red dot first, then consider whether the yellow was in proportion. If it's wrong, it's not very wrong!

Thanks Ed, I'm not sure who did the XT-M profile, our work in progress is the XT-L one but we know it's wrong as it currently stands 🙂. We're not doing XT-M at this time, in many ways it would be easier if we were however the Stapleton/Von Werra dogfight with XT-L will make for an interesting set.

 

Thanks for the info so far, everyone! I have to say, researching these schemes has been the most challenging part of the entire creative process. Info on this period is hard to find and digest indeed! But we would much rather engage the community and try to get it right than blag it and end up with something people aren't happy with, even at 1/144th.

 

So far then, as a preliminary spec: N3196 XT-L might had had:

 

- 24" codes as per XT-D photo

 

- 35" A1 roundel

 

- 24/30" roundels underwing near tips

 

It's possible that we might never know for sure, but at least this way it will be a plausible deduction based on evidence.

 

We have several other profiles in development and if you're willing, we could really use the help with those too! I devote as much time as I can to research, however I wear so many hats in this business at this stage that extra hands and eyes made the world of difference.

 

Will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

We have several other profiles in development and if you're willing, we could really use the help with those too!

It's a good place to ask.

Just in case you don't have it this

.album.jpg?m=1608245641

is scanned here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Supermarine-Spitfire

 

you can find the bound set of all 12,  while old, circa 1970, it was the first really good reference,  using recently declassfied material. 

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Is it an illusion but is the yellow outer ring of the roundel on -M thinner than that on ZD-D and XT-D ?

I think it's an illusion, what ZD-D and XT-D have are the large 7 inch centre spot to the roundel, this was a factory mistake, but commonly seen.  It should be 5 inch, as seen on XT-M,  there are details of this in the booklet, though it carried on applied for quite some time.

 

16 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

I'm not sure who did the XT-M profile

Mark Styling,  another sausage machine profile "artist" like Richard Caruana,  lots and lots  of pretty pictures,  frequently wrong in detail.  

 

HTH

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Mark Styling,  another sausage machine profile "artist" like Richard Caruana,  lots and lots  of pretty pictures,  frequently wrong in detail.  

😂 oh dear! I think what I might do is start a fresh thread when we've done some updates for critiques on our profiles. We have seventeen Spitfire profiles in development and almost as many for the 109, and all of them are going to have to be as carefully produced as we can. Antonis is a very good artist, but we can help him make really good profiles by supplying him with the best references possible. It would be such a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar - especially when the whole idea of the range is to collect interesting airframes in different marking schemes.

 

I do have Peter Schott and Gary Madgwick's BoB markings book and it seems good, but I don't want to rely on it completely of course. Photos are always the most useful reference!

 

We just finished updating our K9795 profile which had a lot of mistakes which we've been able to correct thanks to Mark Postlethwaite - but he's a busy chap and very generously advising us in his spare time so I don't want to ask too much of him. 

Edited by WLJayne
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

Photos are always the most useful reference!

Indeed.   there are a fair few schemes whose provenance goes back to the 1960's Aircraft In Profile series,  which have been reproduced so often they have become fact,  quite a few got their most recent re-airing  in 2020 Valiant Wings Hurricane book. 

 

The best photo books that have come out in ages are the Wingleader Photo Archive,  but if you are in touch with @Mark Postlethwaite I expect you have those?

 

29 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

I think what I might do is start a fresh thread when we've done some updates for critiques on our profiles. We have seventeen Spitfire profiles in development and almost as many for the 109, and all of them are going to have to be as carefully produced as we can. Antonis is a very good artist, but we can help him make really good profiles by supplying him with the best references possible. It would be such a shame to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar - especially when the whole idea of the range is to collect interesting airframes in different marking schemes.

Plenty of help available here from the hive mind. 

Again, the wingleader books do have some new images.   Some 'new' schemes are always good, I was less then impressed by say the options being offered by Eduard rebox dual combo Hurricane set for example.

At least in 1/144 there is the ease of doing say one from every squadron in a reasonable amount of space!

29 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

I do have Peter Schott and Gary Madgwick's BoB markings book and it seems good, but I don't want to rely on it completely of course.

which one?  is that one of the Model Alliance ones? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Indeed.   there are a fair few schemes whose provenance goes back to the 1960's Aircraft In Profile series,  which have been reproduced so often they have become fact,  quite a few got their most recent re-airing  in 2020 Valiant Wings Hurricane book. 

 

The best photo books that have come out in ages are the Wingleader Photo Archive,  but if you are in touch with @Mark Postlethwaite I expect you have those?

 

Plenty of help available here from the hive mind. 

Again, the wingleader books do have some new images.   Some 'new' schemes are always good, I was less then impressed by say the options being offered by Eduard rebox dual combo Hurricane set for example.

At least in 1/144 there is the ease of doing say one from every squadron in a reasonable amount of space!

which one?  is that one of the Model Alliance ones? 

 

Yes I have the Spitrfire Mk1 and all the Bf109E WL books, they're a great help! I think we have a couple of schemes that haven't been done - I thin being able to make all three of the 610 Sqn schemes from that famous photo will be a good selling point. In addition to specific airframes schemes we'll also have generic BoB Spitfire /109 decal sheets with most of the major marking options covered so that people can make any aircraft they want though of course it might not be 100% accurate. 

 

The book I have is the On Target Special by the Aviation Workshop Publications. It does have lots of schemes in it though they'd all need to be checked against photos, but the one's I've done that with seem pretty solid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...