HMS Montrose F236 : Type 23 Frigate (Trumpeter 1/350)

Faraway

I've been very lax in supplying photos, sorry. 

So, here is the centre superstructure in place.

Just need to add the safety nets around the gun platform, but that will be later as they stick out a ways and if I put them on now, sure as eggs is eggs, I'll knock 'em off.

p?i=50bafe87f12c9017924ff605e692d05d

Now, the next two photos are a question for you all. Which wire do I use as aerials ?

Or do I buy a different diameter ?

The thin one is 0.15mm and the thicker is 0.5.

I think I need something in between, what says you ?

Jon

p?i=7d20439ff5aa010becd50aaaf8088a28

p?i=f898b89d30a7e490a2979b5312940dc7

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Now, the next two photos are a question for you all. Which wire do I use as aerials ?

Or do I buy a different diameter ?

The thin one is 0.15mm and the thicker is 0.5.

I think I need something in between, what says you ?

Gidday Solderman, I've no idea what diameter these should be, but if you think something in between the two sizes is more accurate then I think you should go with what you're happy with. But instead of buying a third size could you slap some thick layers of paint on the thin wire to thicken it up a bit? I did that on some gun barrels quite a while back, to get the A tube and B tube effect. Just a thought.

Modern destroyers and frigates certainly appear bulkier in the upperworks than their WW2 forebears, to me anyway. This is looking very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Railings fitted to the hull and some of the forward superstructure.

Moving along at a steady pace and fast approaching completion.

I've decided that I'm not going to add any weathering or rust, for a few reasons.But mainly because I'm not very good at it and also, all the pictures I've seen of this ship show her as being very clean and rust free. Anyway, that's my excuse :tease:.

Well, perhaps a bit of rust to the anchor chain.

p?i=c0facde8798f81e84a656324f8505e15

• Like 6

Coming along at quite a pace, shamefully looking at my stalled test builds... I'm not sure how you can keep it so neat yet complete them so fast.

I think there's something about the lines of this ship which lend it well to a rust- or weathering- free look, but I must admit I've only ever seen them looking a bit worse for wear! That said I used to live near Devonport so really only ever saw them coming back from patrol (and for some reason never going out).

David

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

I’ve just started applying the decals. I hate this, I can NEVER EVER seem to get them without a bit of silvering, no matter how much gloss varnish I use. So fingers crossed. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

Thanks chaps.

I’ve just started applying the decals. I hate this, I can NEVER EVER seem to get them without a bit of silvering, no matter how much gloss varnish I use. So fingers crossed. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

I use humbrols decal fix which works okay for me,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Hang on a minute, the previous photo was missing at least the gun and some superstructure! Then you finished two days later?

David

Mysterious thing, this life thing, init.