HMS Montrose F236 : Type 23 Frigate (Trumpeter 1/350)

Faraway

1 hour ago, Jerry L said:

Not to cause any problems, you might like to watch this, start at approximately 6:17. He discusses two methods that he tried.

Well...........um............yeah...........perhaps not. What a very tedious task, I honestly don’t think I’ve the patience to do that.
Very clever and an amazing effect though.

One thing did spring to mind, would it not be easier to use a rotary burr on a small electric drill, and grind out the dents ?

Surprisingly, neither the Atlantic Models or the Trumpeter PE has included anything to fill the square holes in the stern. And as I now know that they have a mesh inserted in them, thanks to the excellent photos from @Des. I used some of the left over netting from the Langley build and hey presto.

p?i=fc0be7448faa5e820de1246c87fb41ed

p?i=b703a00e57daf672a8c3af033d71f55c

p?i=67d9b562627eb553547b4ba5e236776f

The two quad Harpoon Missile launchers, resin from Veteran Models, PE from Atlantic Models.

p?i=54125d03e665ed75fc3842d3681aea7a

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

Well...........um............yeah...........perhaps not. What a very tedious task, I honestly don’t think I’ve the patience to do that.
Very clever and an amazing effect though.

One thing did spring to mind, would it not be easier to use a rotary burr on a small electric drill, and grind out the dents ?

hmm... burr + electric drill = oops, where did that hole come from?! And yes it is a tedious task that I think, like you, I do not have the patience for.

• Like 1

It's been a PE sort of day, I have done the foremast.

p?i=840f6ad99887b4ced642a2f25aa6348d

p?i=076aac16d0199d96fd0a76f2b283d125

Black primer applied. I will then spray it grey, as per @Gisbod with the hope it'll give a subtle shading effect. The rear face of this assembly will stay black, I haven't figured out how I will achieve this, maybe liquid mask.

p?i=513a1060dd798ffdd9b2b34e561c2c46

p?i=8f36e8d7be3fb96f7e1afa39018d9405

Probably do something here tomorrow, but then will be away for a few days in Yorkshire. That nearly didn't happen with this petrol panic, but I filled up this morning with no problem. How I'll get back, not sure yet, but this madness can't last much longer.

Jon

• Like 10

That looks great, looking forward to seeing this one to continue to progress, I've toyed with the idea of doing a type 23 as I've lived in both Monmouth and Montrose, yours is tempting me, that said I am under very strict instructions from she who must be obeyed to buy nothing more until I've finished at least half of the stash, 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

A little bit of PE, railings on the bridge roof.

p?i=f368de3024eef294f37329084ed017a0

Harpoon missile launchers, I painted these black and I think it helps add a bit of depth to the grey.

p?i=39e140e0ba2893649a3a2cc491c909c4

And then the mast. The black undercoat does work adds a bit of definition, I think.

p?i=2a403c98886f3baa03ccbbcb4b1ad4c4

p?i=1881b01cce359cafcc9e95a3f948aefa

p?i=7cda4d4812d2824e8e09fd96532aed38

• Like 9

As usual - realy nice job on the PE especially the radar gantry.  Thanks for the tip about the Harpoons - I didn't know they existed or that I needed them:winkgrin:

I plan on doing HMS Kent sometime in the "afterworld"

Enjoy the break

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a wet and windy Yorkshire. So will be back to the old shipbuilding and will post some more progress piccys later. 
Does anyone know what colour the interior of the helicopter hanger is ?

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Hi Jon,

Found this pic of HMS Monmouths hangar;

https://images.app.goo.gl/QV4D7Md6WZZn2F5c7

I can't post it properly as works servers don't allow me to do so, but the link should work,

Sam

Sam.
Many thanks for that, I’ll go for a light grey. You can’t see much through the open door, so I don’t think the shade is too critical.

Jon

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Hi Jon,

Found this pic of HMS Monmouths hangar;

https://images.app.goo.gl/QV4D7Md6WZZn2F5c7

I can't post it properly as works servers don't allow me to do so, but the link should work,

Sam

Amazing picture, thanks Sam. Always forget how cramped it is in these (and the size of helis).

From a (distant) memory of a navy day, I recall them being white inside (I wouldn't bet anything on that memory myself), but I don't think it'll make much difference either way, and the lighting inside will likely change the perceived colour anyway.

David

• Like 1

Been a bit side tracked for the past few days. We have decided to decorate the lounge, remove carpet and replace with a laminate floor AND have a wood burning stove fitted. So our local tradesmen are making money out of me.

As a result, shipbuilding has taken a back seat, but now dates are set and deposits paid. 

I'm back, for a while. Until I have to empty THREE book cases, that is. Didn't realise I had SO many books

Anyway.

Progress so far.

I've painted the bridge windows with a metallic black, they sort of look ok.

I've dry fitted the forward superstructure and weapons.

Jon

p?i=d18e94314924b7c9665f50ddac628684

• Like 3

Lots of areas inside warships are indeed white, David, so your mind is not playing tricks.  The hangar, however, is grey because essentially it’s open to the elements so needs the same protection as everywhere else that gets a lot of salt water and wind

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

David, so your mind is not playing tricks

I meant the hangar! But v happy to be wrong and now to know why (and I assume this applies to everywhere else so exposed?). I was rather busy 'playing' with some squad automatic weapon / machine gun at the time, so I will spare my mind's blushes on account of that...

Would it be the same colour as the rest of the nearby superstructure?

David

• Like 1

Bit of work on the guns today. Both by Veteran Models via Startling Models.

It's only by looking at this photo, of the 'Kryton' turret, that I see a bit of glue overflow, might need to trim and repaint.

That PE was SSSOOO thin.

Jon

p?i=043fa6f2025bb602d103bf2365a2723d

p?i=1b950571cd1fd1d12ffdbe654cdbffc3

Just need to paint these barrels black.

p?i=1b50265aeef6c02da1655829cde16895

And finally, the exhaust stack.

p?i=5f2a18df5a3aa6357689603b0f89c416

• Like 5