HMS Montrose F236 : Type 23 Frigate (Trumpeter 1/350)

Faraway

Now, before you ALL say, "here he goes again, is there no stopping him ?".

Well, here I go again, but not for a couple of days. Life is interrupting and I've things to do, that don't involve plastic, paint and all the other things that kinda make my retirement busier than my previous working life.

This is to be my next project, but not I hasten to add, on a sea base. That was an experience that will be repeated one day, but not just yet.

So, herewith follows the obligatory box art, but I won't bore you with sprue photos. I think we all know what they look like by now.

p?i=3cf6c618ab390790ff53424e3888e04a

What I will show you next is the kit PE, a bit sparse I thought.

p?i=8df64c4ec641742a9f7eada84f78d3f3

So, a quick wizz over to Atlantic Models and Peter Hall has come to the rescue.

That's better. You just can't have too much PE.

p?i=1a6a8d63a62287efca29cb729c140239

Oh, and I added these.

Just for fun you know, nothing serious.

p?i=2c534d5153eb60e4b656a27886e2009d

To end this little teaser, there is a very skilled ship builder @Gisbod who is making a 1/200 Bismarck and whose painting skills (and building skills), I think are indeed praiseworthy and he has inspired me to try and do the same, with the painting. His result is awesome. 

So, I'm off to get some black primer, THAT should make life interesting. 

See you all again soon.

Jon

• Like 5

You’re embarrassing me Jon! 

I quite fancy one of these, the clean finish compared to a WW2 ship appeals. Ironically you probably need less shading effects on a ship like this! 

Will follow with interest.

Guy

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

You’re embarrassing me Jon! 

I quite fancy one of these, the clean finish compared to a WW2 ship appeals. Ironically you probably need less shading effects on a ship like this! 

Will follow with interest.

Guy

I was going to build my Type 45   https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Destroyer/Daring-Type-45-class.htm kit but, the superstructure on that, compared to this Type 23 https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Royal-Navy/Frigate/F-236-HMS-Montrose.htm is just flat sides everywhere, so not much shading to be worried about. Anyway, we shall see.

Jon

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Im glad to see you went with Montrose, 

Will watch along with interest, 

Me too, I think. Do you know what colour the radar domes are ? Some appear to be, from what I can make out from photos of the ship, white and possibly a sort of ‘duck egg’.

Jon

6 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Me too, I think. Do you know what colour the radar domes are ? Some appear to be, from what I can make out from photos of the ship, white and possibly a sort of ‘duck egg’.

Jon

I wont lie, I've no idea but i like the idea of duck egg blue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

I wont lie, I've no idea but i like the idea of duck egg blue

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies here’s a man who might know. Jamie, do you know what colour the radar domes are ? To me a couple look to be ‘duck egg’ and one looks white. 
Jon

Hi Jon,

I don't as it happens but I'm thinking along similar lines. I think for the sketch I knocked up for our modern RN colourset graphic I used our ACRN36 - DuPont 71-021 US Equivalent Sky Type S Gray - which definitely isn't the specification used on radomes but seems to look that part on the picture...?

RoyalNavyModern_2048x2048.png?v=15957454

• Like 3

They're not radomes as such (insomuch that they don't house a radar) but mostly satcom aerials (and a tracker for the 4.5 inch gun on the foremast for'ard face) 

I've never served in a T23 but certainly the earlier style SCOT satcom aerials fitted to a T22s/T42s were a light duck egg blue.  The single centreline Inmarsat aerial is white.  IIRC, the radar antenna cover on the 911 tracker (just abaft the bridge and on the hanger roof) should be ships side grey/light weatherworks grey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure what to do about the hull. Is it red below the waterline ? as per Trumpeter paint instructions, and we know how accurate they can be. Or is it black. Looking at pictures of the ship, I think it’s black. Any ideas, chaps ?

Jon

1 minute ago, Faraway said:

I’m not sure what to do about the hull. Is it red below the waterline ? as per Trumpeter paint instructions, and we know how accurate they can be. Or is it black. Looking at pictures of the ship, I think it’s black. Any ideas, chaps ?

Jon

I think I’ve just answered my own question. Looking very closely at one of the picture, I can see a hint of red peeping out from behind a wave. She’s very secretive about her bottom.

Jon

• Haha 1

Not exactly time rich at the mo. And I've just had a covid booster in one arm and a flu jab in the other. Now both arms ache, so time for the soothing solace of a glass or two.

Enough of my grizzling. I've painted the deck (NARN54) and the hull, above the waterline (NARN52). The black line and the red are with acrylic paint I have already.

And, I am growing increasingly more fond of Colourcoats enamel, they really are very good.

Oh yeah, I must be bonkers:mental:, but I just acquired from a fellow BMer an old NOVO kit HMS Tiger, couple of bits missing, but for 43 years old it is surprisingly complete. To get it to come out half decent will be a test of my patience and skill, but who wants an easy build. I see also, that Atlantic Models do the PE set for it, well, you know me and PE.....................:whistle:

Jon

p?i=bed755d6d553ab258e9824a243ca9531

• Like 3

Photographed it a couple of times when it has visited its named port here, could post a few if it might be of interest but with other commitments unless I can squeeze it in tomorrow it would be next weekend before I can access BM again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Des said:

Photographed it a couple of times when it has visited its named port here, could post a few if it might be of interest but with other commitments unless I can squeeze it in tomorrow it would be next weekend before I can access BM again.

I be very grateful of any photos, whenever you can send them. No rush at all.

Jon

22 hours ago, Faraway said:

I think I’ve just answered my own question. Looking very closely at one of the picture, I can see a hint of red peeping out from behind a wave. She’s very secretive about her bottom.

Jon

In the mid-late 80s, the RN did experiment with different coloured anti-fouling and boot-topping on a couple of ships (light blues and greys) but by the time that MONTROSE entered service they had reverted to the traditional red and black.

• Like 1

Things to do got done quicker than expected so managed to sort these out.

HMS Montrose during a visit to Montrose in June 2014

p?i=6d9d5aff2f89e1cce64c5c623bc4afbd

p?i=6873a6fc8adfdae238ac991bbf676405

p?i=3dcdde98c8175609ccedf4fa47327771

p?i=bb8da108f74b78ee7b22742349fb0aa0

p?i=afbd5497424b3b74a2bfa054f7baefae

p?i=29164c0a80027b51830d19e2e52eb403

p?i=9a672cc9b7d9f26ba8fa9feecb38a9d6

p?i=67c3f6dbc963c9ad5019a39ccf318404

p?i=1275aec564d8bb768a4073ac0663c5ce

p?i=2c5fd5897367cece6b5f643fabd55588

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Nice photos!

The oil canning effect is quite noticeable - not that I’m suggesting you replicate it! I wouldn’t… 

Guy

I wouldn’t know where to start. So no. 
Jon

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gisbod said:

The oil canning effect is quite noticeable - not that I’m suggesting you replicate it! I wouldn’t… 

Let me tell you, a 'modelling oil caning effect' search led me down a very long and scary rabbit hole last night. Does seem that if anyone could do it justice, Guy the preshader would be towards the top of that list :evil_laugh:

David

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Let me tell you, a 'modelling oil caning effect' search led me down a very long and scary rabbit hole last night. Does seem that if anyone could do it justice, Guy the preshader would be towards the top of that list :evil_laugh:

David

I seem to recall reading a WIP post here by @beefy66 about this very subject. 
Jon

• Like 1