Czech mates - 38(t) STGB Chat

Marklo

I do enjoy the occasional AFV and haven’t many German tanks in the collection, and so decided I must build a Hetzer. I knew it was derived from the Czech CMK 38 but a little research showed that there many many variants produced.

In total about 1400 panzer 38(t)chassis were built  and in every conceivable configuration from Bergepanzers through anti aircraft, self propelled guns and of course Jadgpanzers and Marder IIIs ( not I or II)

There is also the 38(D) a German variant used for assault guns and antitank weapons.

There are also lots of kits including some of the more unusual variants available.

Seeing how we don’t seem to have that much Armour STGB proposals for 2022, I thought I’d start one.

ABC87826-5-C78-4291-A5-EE-3-CB0-CF65-FA5

D873-D918-34-E0-4225-A412-B973483-B9347.

D899551-D-A47-D-4734-B485-213-BA16-A608-

So the build would be anything built on an LT 35 or 38 chassis or a  36(t), 38(t) or 38(D) chassis or any proposed E-10 vehicle in any scale. I’m really leaning as I go the Swedish Stridsvagn m/41 and the Pansarbandvagn 301 would also qualify as both use licence built 38(t) chassis. 

1.  @Marklo *

2. @ColonelKrypton *
3. @Stef N. *

4. @Tim R-T-C *
5. @Corsairfoxfouruncle *
6. @Rob S *
7.  @Robert Stuart

8. @Mig Eater *
9. @Adam Poultney

10 @Orso*
11. @fittedkitchens

12. @sardaukar

13. @f matthews

14. @PlaStix*
15. @blimp *
16. @sampanzer

17. @Threadbear*

18. @Jasper dog

19. @Mjwomack *

20. @Jinxman

21. @MARADER *
22. @Maddoxx77*
23. @StuartH

24. @Geo1966

25. @f matthews

26. @IanC

27. @bigfoot *

27. @Maddoxx77

28. @Ned

* denotes members who have reconfirmed or initially said they’d build a 38(t)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• Marklo changed the title to Panzer 38(t) and derivatives
  • Marklo changed the title to Panzer 35(t) & 38(t) and derivatives. Starting to gain some traction
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Chalk me in with a prospective Hetzer, in the assault scheme. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hetzer_lesany.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Thats certainly a nutty variation on the assault colours, one can just imagine late war armaments factories dedicating hundreds of man hours to coming up with such a precisely detailed scheme.

How will you model the unusual geometric shapes - decals or a stencil?

6 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Thats certainly a nutty variation on the assault colours, one can just imagine late war armaments factories dedicating hundreds of man hours to coming up with such a precisely detailed scheme.

How will you model the unusual geometric shapes - decals or a stencil?

I was just using it as a basic idea, in the past when Ive done the assault scheme Ive just used a fine tip paint brush to apply a dot. Though I could probably do it with my fine tip A/B now ? If doing the real deal restoration a mask, in WW2 some poor yabbo with a paint brush. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Yes I do like the scheme, I made a 1/144 Panther a while back with a needle used for colouring the spots.

spacer.png

It was the very unusual variation in the linked Wikipedia picture that fascinated me. The dots are instead geometric shapes which must have been a lot of work to apply in 1/1 but almost impossible to freehand in scale.

Not sure if this is an authentic scheme or not.

• Like 2

OK, I'm tempted here, the Czech chassis had some interesting developments - plus I haven't built one. OK I'm, in.

BTW

On 23/09/2021 at 10:07, Marklo said:

Seeing how we don’t seem to have any Armour STGB proposals for 2022, I thought I’d start one.

Not sure if they were in the running when this was said, but now we have two: an M3/M4 proposal and a Leopard Tank proposal.

• Thanks 1

• Marklo changed the title to Panzer 35(t) & 38(t) and derivatives. Let’s get this one into 2023!
  • 1 month later...

How about including the 38(d) in the GB too? It was a larger German version of the 38(t), production was planed for late 1945 but the war ended before the prototype was built. Amusing Hobby have release 3 different 38(d) kits & there were many more variants planned, so plenty of options. 

file.php?id=61139

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A shameless bump, 2023 needs some armour and so far this and the entropy build proposal are all that’s out there. Both would make superb GBs so c’min guys let’s get them both over the line.

• Like 2

Well bumped Mark.

You can add my name for some non-German version of the cute little tank. Maybe a Czech one!

Entropy isn't just for armour by the way, we all get it sooner or later! 🤣

(Seriously, all genres are welcome in that one.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Entropy isn't just for armour by the way, we all get it sooner or later! 🤣

Tbh every time I see the title I’m reminded of three things:-

The scene in the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy ( the radio series) where Ford dnd Zsphod find the spaceport on the planet of the bird people and Zaphod describes it as all rust and wreckage.

Second year thermodynamics, which I initially hated but learned to love once I actually started to understand it. 

Completely blowing a job interview when asked the difference between Entropy and Enthalpy, the answer to which I have never forgotten since.  

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

there are colourful alternatives for the LT vz.3

I like that very reminiscent of the late WWI German stuff.

I’m now googling Hetzers and thinking I need a few more German tanks in my 1/35 collection. Hmm all I have in the stash is a PZKW II, and a Hannomag (which is earmarked for the half track gb) actually besides those two and the three tanks I have in WIP all that’s left is a Tamiya Valentine. Hmm need to rectify that.

Edited by Marklo

• Marklo changed the title to The Czech is In the post - Panzer 35(t) & 38(t) and derivatives. Let’s get this one into 2023!