Revell 1/72 Typhoon BW/ZJ921 of 29(R) Squadron

ChrisL

I thought I'd already shared this here but it seems I didn't. Given I finish model kits so infrequently I feel I should at least post up some pictures when I do complete one.

This is Revell’s 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon. The kit is OK, it has comedically little intake trunking so I added an aftermarket set of resin intakes. Fitting those and getting something vaguely resembling a smooth join was not pleasant. A bunch of parts that could be modelled open or closed (e.g. the undercarriage) were clearly much better designed to be modelled open than closed so some fiddling (and some accepting they were not going to look perfect) was necessary to depict an aircraft in flight. Finally the kit did not come with all the pylons and missiles necessary to depict a typical RAF QRA loadout, so it’s only equipped with 4 AMRAAMs and 2 ASRAAMs, not the 4/4 loadout more commonly seen.

I build this kit as a gift for my dad. It’s modelled as BW/ZJ921 of 29(R) Squadron circa 2007 or so. Some decals were liberated from an Airfix kit owned by a friend in order to have this specific serial number and tail code as while the Revell boxing I had contained 29(R) squadron decals from the correct period they were for another aircraft. An acquaintance of my dad was flying this plane around that time so he was pretty chuffed to receive it.

I actually started building this kit several years ago, but I finally kicked myself into finishing it back in March so I could give it to my dad for his 80th birthday. Perhaps oddly despite getting the serial number and letter code details from the acquaintance it's not his name marked under the cockpit, I don't know if the names are somewhat symbolic and planes are used by different pilots, whether the acquaintance's name was on the aircraft at a different time from when the decals were designed, or if something else is going on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6