Airfix 1/72 Mosquito modified to PR.XVI

72nd SQN

My overall impression is it’s definitely a good kit but not without some area’s to improve, the engineering and fit is very good in parts and any improvements are not that hard, so will share my updates as well as the conversion to the flat bellied PR version from the bomber belly. My first area that I thought needed some more detail was the tail wheel well.
spacer.png

The Mossie has a very distinct mudguard that sits between the two tail plane spars and the kit has a very solid overlapping flat tab that makes the tail wheel well very plain. I thinned the walls of inside the tailcone with the Dremel, inserted each tail plane into the fuselage and traced the wall This gave me the depth to cut out on each tab so I then cut out the central part leaving the twospars. I then tidied up the spar with some Evergreen right angle affixed to one side onlyLastly, I took an old Mustang wheel, cut in half and sanded to shape, made a vac form mudguard and trimmed it out to shape. Last step was to add a small tab to the top of the new mudguard so it can be glued into the small trench where the fuselage goes up into each rudder. That way it’s glued in and not sitting in the spars.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

Next stage is to make some updates to the nacelles.I think the two stage merlins are really well done so most of what I have done is enhancements. The intake has a very distinct “smile” so wanted to make it a bit more of a grin.

spacer.png

Using, mainly round files, I opened up the ends of the chin intake and to my eye it looks a lot better, otherwise it’s quite flat looking. The right one has been modified to show the subtle but I think important enhancement.

spacer.png

• Like 11

Excellent start so far @72nd SQN and this thread looks to be one to follow. There's some nice clear photographs on offer and high quality attention to detail going on with your modelling progress so far. 

Cheers. Dave 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am enjoying the tweaks to the kit, one of the other area’s that needed some hollowing out are the carb intakes. You can see how open they are on the pic in the previous post. It’s a pretty simple thing to just remove the blanking plate, but another little thing that makes a big difference. Modified carb intakes are on the right.

spacer.png

Now after going to the trouble of opening everything up, I put some black blanking plates further back in the nacelle to stop the “see-through“ look.

spacer.png

After assembly, much happier with the look of the two-stage Merlin nacelles. You can also see the smaller intakes have been opened up as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by 72nd SQN
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Excellent start so far @72nd SQN and this thread looks to be one to follow. There's some nice clear photographs on offer and high quality attention to detail going on with your modelling progress so far. 

Cheers. Dave 

@Rabbit Leader- Thanks Dave, definitely a few details and things will help it along to fit into the collection.

• Like 1

Mildly obsessing over the shape of the chin intakes, I reworked them a little further to fair in the top section as it was still looking a bit boxy, but much better now.

spacer.png

I also decided that I didn’t want to insert the exhausts at this stage, so first step, was to drill out the exhausts, which I did by marking the ends black and then drilling out all 24 (yes 24) exhaust stubs. The black makes it easy to see the edges and keep the hole in the exhaust centered. After some test fitting, it isn’t possible to get the exhausts in after assembly without trimming the bottom of the exhausts, which I did with a very fine razor saw (the two on the right have been modified). Now the exhausts can go in after painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Exhausts were painted in Alclad Burnt Pale Metal and Jet Exhaust, using this reference from an actual RAAF PR.XVI.

spacer.png

My second adjustment to the build was to enhance the rear of the radiator. I personally hate it when radiators are modelled with somewhere for the air to go in, but no where for it to vent, so, I cut out the entire section from the bottom wing, cutting at a 45degree angle which had the duel effect of thinning out the trailing edge and leaving the duct shape. The plan is that I can affix it back later and the hot air now has somewhere to exit! This means that some detail has to be added to the back of the radiator, so I used a resin detailed piece intended for the Tamiya kit to give the back of the radiator some detail.

spacer.png

Lastly, just want to say what a joy the nacelle is to put together. The carb intakes just drop in can be secured with some extra thin liquid glue. I tend to over putty, but the fit has been pretty good. Drop the mask supplied in the kit in and secure in place with some maskol and it’s ready to be finished. Really well engineered.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Have completed the cockpit, using some Aires parts from a Tamiya B.IV detail set. First I attached the crew door with bomb bay fairing attached on the underside for strength before I cut it out using the pin vice and 0.3mm saw. The Aires detail set floor is a really good fit just a bit of milliput to blend it in. At this stage it was about putting in some photo etch including instrument panel and making up a seat from a spare Eduard Etch set The radio’s from the Aires set are beautiful. The cabling moulded into by Airfix is really good and just needs a wash and dry-brush. The Seat belts are the Kit World 3D printed decals.  I am happy with way it’s shaping up and hoping to still see some of this detail under the canopy once it’s on!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by 72nd SQN
  • Like 15

Looks absolutely fantastic! The KitsWorld belts are really good IMO, although I had some issues because I kept messing about with their positions and the glue gave up!

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

8 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Nice looking saw. What is it and where can I get one? Also, can you recomend a set of parallel pliers to help fold etch?

Gondor

Hey Gondor, I got my first in Japan about 4 years ago, and then promptly broke it- they are a bit brittle. I had a bit of trouble getting a replacement but try the normal sites, HLJ, Plaza and this is Hobby Search- says it’s not available but if you can get one it’s an awesome little (delicate) saw!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10262552

For  bending my photo-etch, I tend not to use pliers, but use a bending tool, just a little one made by Trumpeter, but it’s much squarer, I find that the pliers move a little and end up with a slight round edge, whereas the bending tool is very sturdy.

cheers P

Edited by 72nd SQN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bedders said:

Blimey (furiously makes notes, bookmarks, tries to resist ordering kit immediately etc).

J

Hey Bedders - thanks heaps, hope that you get one and get started!  it’s a really good kit and goes together really well the engineering and fit is great. No kit is perfect, even an Eduard Spitfire has things you should do to make it a better model……

10 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looks absolutely fantastic! The KitsWorld belts are really good IMO, although I had some issues because I kept messing about with their positions and the glue gave up!

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

Agree Mark, they really capture the “sag”, I didn’t really have a great go at these, so looking forward to taking the learnings from these and putting them into a Spitfire cockpit where they are really on show.

cheers P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice progress on this with some sensible doable improvements on display, a great thread for others intending to build one/some of these kits.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, there is a lot of really good things about the kit and loads of scope to make it a really good model or just put it together as the fit so far has been excellent. cheers P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 72nd SQN said:

Agree Mark, they really capture the “sag”, I didn’t really have a great go at these, so looking forward to taking the learnings from these and putting them into a Spitfire cockpit where they are really on show.

cheers P

These are the KitsWorld belts in an Airfix Sptifire Vc I was doing:

http://IMG-3209a.jpg

As I mentioned, I mauled them a bit getting them into place so they look a bit past their best, but I was quite pleased with them: I'd definitely use them again.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 72nd SQN said:

Hey Gondor, I got my first in Japan about 4 years ago, and then promptly broke it- they are a bit brittle. I had a bit of trouble getting a replacement but try the normal sites, HLJ, Plaza and this is Hobby Search- says it’s not available but if you can get one it’s an awesome little (delicate) saw!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10262552

For  bending my photo-etch, I tend not to use pliers, but use a bending tool, just a little one made by Trumpeter, but it’s much squarer, I find that the pliers move a little and end up with a slight round edge, whereas the bending tool is very sturdy.

cheers P

Thanks for the link. Asked for an email notification when they come into stock.

Gondor

• Thanks 1

Wow, an interesting build going on here. I'm following Tony O'Toole's build elsewhere on BM with the same kits. The kit isn't available as yet down here in South Africa but I think, I'm going to invest in a couple. One for SAAF markings, the other Fleet Air Arm.

I'll pull up a seat.

Colin

• Thanks 1