72 Squadron Gladiator Markings

Paul Bradley

I just acquired an ICM 1/32 Gladiator I, and am much taken by the pre-war 72 Sqn colour scheme that the airworthy G-GLAD currently flies in. There are lots of photos on the internet of that airframe and I have queries about the markings she wears.

Let me quote from the Fighter Collection website:

"2007 saw the fabric work completed by Vintage Fabrics, who also applied the wonderful 72 Sqn scheme she wears today.  The Squadron colour scheme consisted of red and blue bars along the fuselage sides and on the upper surface of the top wing, all of which are faithfully replicated on N5903. In addition to these markings our Gladiator also wears the blue fin and forward tailplanes denoting the personal aircraft of the ‘B’ Flight commander." She also features the squadron's Swift spearhead on the fin. 

I've been trying to find period photos of the aircraft whose markings this restoration is based on (G-GLAD being a Mark II) so I can add an accurate serial number. However, I cannot find a photo of a 72 Sqn Gladiator with all the elements of this scheme at one time - i.e. the top wing/fuselage bars and blue fin/tailplanes with squadron badge - I can find bars, blue fin/tailplanes and squadron badge at different periods, but not all together. Does anyone have a period photo of a machine with all said markings together, or a serial number of such an aircraft? 

Edited by Paul Bradley
clarity

"On Silver Wings" page217.Photo of five 72 Sqn Glads,nearest to camera K6130.

Full sqn markings,wings & fuselage,Fin & tailplane probably blue (b/w photo). No sign of sqn badge on any of them.

Also Wheel hubs in blue.

Sorry,I can't post pictures.

HTH.

Derek S