Starling Models. HMS Rhyl 1/350

Faraway

This has been fun. 

Lot of firsts have been crossed off the list with this one.

First resin kit :thumbsup:

First use of enamel paint :thumbsup:

First seascape base :thumbsup:

This will not be my last resin kit, I've ordered https://starling-models.co.uk/collections/1-350-resin-kits-1/products/hms-sir-gareth, looking forward to this one very  much.

The paint was supplied by https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/, the paint was a joy to use, far better than the acrylics I'm used to and not too smelly, at least 'she who must be obeyed' didn't complain.

The base, I made from crumpled up tin foil, flattened out and then a frame fitted to it and plaster of Paris poured over. Once set, I carved out the hull shape. This plaster of Paris method is, I think, bettered suited to waterline models, so I will investigate other methods. But having said that, I think it came out ok.

I've put her at anchor, as I didn't fancy trying to form a wake. Perhaps next time.

I have to say, resin kits are very different from your standard plastic, the detail was excellent and although you might think they are a bit expensive for their size. This one came with lots of PE and 3D printed parts. All of which I would usually add to a plastic kit, so the cost kind of evens out. And also of course, resin kits open up a whole different range of kits.

She is not perfect, but if I fiddle any more I'll do more harm then good.

So, here a few photos, which I hope you like. As always, please feel free to criticise.

p?i=b119c44074eff13e2cf5e13f14f6ff40

p?i=e907267d7e90b99d27e67719ae42ce97

p?i=3d955e7bbee4353f8521b70cc920ea8a

p?i=84e1d3553cb3fc236721b6297a527ebb

p?i=a0f64e085782c03f5b3fbd8f4635b65f

p?i=b27f619e5def5184a7f847d38e83f65c

p?i=1ccf0b59b277e3b79f6686e9ec3d7438

p?i=9adb71e602280488085101dd8507c427

p?i=fbe3af54be20509a6692468cbce755c7

• Like 29

I like your HMS Rhyl, congratulations. You paid attention to varoius details: glass windows, wich chains and so on and it all always make our models more attractive and eye- catching.

If I may note two questions:

1. personally in the future I would rethink shape of rust streaks. It is difficult saying exactly how to do, I just like watching and studying real ship's photos and models.

2. I would consider using thinner, more delicate rigging. Used threads looks a little bit heavy, especially HMS Rhyl is quite small ship.

Anyway these are only minor questions, overall you built very nice model!

Best regards,

Michał.

• Like 1

Lovely little ship Jon!

I’m interested in sea bases as I haven’t tried one yet but intend to (not for the 1/200 Bismarck though!). One of these kits might be a good starting point. There seem to be so many options for bases, it’s a bit confusing.

Do you think they’re better than a standard plastic kit equivalent? 

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, socjo1 said:

1. personally in the future I would rethink shape of rust streaks. It is difficult saying exactly how to do, I just like watching and studying real ship's photos and models.

2. I would consider using thinner, more delicate rigging. Used threads looks a little bit heavy, especially HMS Rhyl is quite small ship.

Agree with both points. 
1.I’m struggling with rust streaks. To be honest I have no idea how to do them.

2.I did initially use finer thread, but it just seemed too fine, so I used a thicker one, but you are right, I think it’s out of scale.

Live and learn Michal, live and learn.

The next one WILL be better.

Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking job there Jon and such a quick build how many is that this year you are speeding through these things.

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers Beefy. This one felt like it took longer, I guess I’ve too much time on my hands.

Jon

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Do you think they’re better than a standard plastic kit equivalent? 

I guess you mean the stands that come with most kits. This one didn’t have one, so I was kind of forced into the sea base. At least with a stand, you don’t have to weather the ship. I’m not much good at adding rust etc. No idea how to really.

Jon

39 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Agree with both points. 
1.I’m struggling with rust streaks. To be honest I have no idea how to do them.

To be honest I'm rather maritime green-horn as I finished only one ship's model. So maybe someone else has another, better receipts. Nevertheless I'll write how I did scratches and streaks on my Copper Cliff. Hope you will find something inspiring there:

After base colours I sprayed matt, transparent varnish. I dont' use gloss lacquer apart stage before decals. I began work with 1. oil paints for artists, 2. acrylic paint (not much) and 3. even (not much as well) plain brown and black fineliner (Stabilo point 88) for a few vertical streaks. I like working with oil paints for artists very much.

I don't use "instant" products.  I tried a few times, but finally...

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish ladies,
Farewell instant paneliner and wash...

During ship-painting I really prefer making my own mixes dilluted with white spirit. First I make a few scratches with acrylic paint. Then sometimes modificate old (usually I make some more "scrathy" and sharp)

As I haven't gloss layer on model, I don't work with artistic oil paints as typical wash (on sea of gloss lacquer), rather apply only in places where I want or where I try simulate stains, streaks. More and less saturated. Some begins from decks, some from earlier painted sratches, some from portholes.

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Actually Jon, I just meant the base kit.

Are they better than an injection kit equivalent you think? 

Guy

Ah, my mistake.

I’m probably not the right person to ask, as this is my first resin kit. Resin seems to have more detail, PE & 3D, not sure if this is the case for all. Which of course puts the price up, but, for me, harder to assemble as I can’t use CA glue. And more of a fiddle to paint, as, from what I’ve seen, the hull and deck are one mould. And as I said earlier, they do add more to the choice of builds.

If you’ve not built one, I would definitely recommend you give one a go. 
Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job there Jon.

I know what you mean about the scale thickness of the rigging.  I went scale with ultra fine Uschi van der Rosten on my 1/350 BULOLO and you can barely see the rigging and aerial lines whereas in reality all of the photos show them to be quite prominent.

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

Ah, my mistake.

I’m probably not the right person to ask, as this is my first resin kit. Resin seems to have more detail, PE & 3D, not sure if this is the case for all. Which of course puts the price up, but, for me, harder to assemble as I can’t use CA glue. And more of a fiddle to paint, as, from what I’ve seen, the hull and deck are one mould. And as I said earlier, they do add more to the choice of builds.

If you’ve not built one, I would definitely recommend you give one a go. 
Jon

I'm nearing the end of my first all resin kit (Atlantic Models PUMA) and I would totally endorse that.  The quality is streets ahead of any injection moulded kit I have ever done though looking at some of the recent offerings from the likes of Flyhawk the gap is narrowing rapidly (if only they would do 1/350!).

The one observation I would make I think is that the skills needed for resin are similar to, but in some cases very different to, injection moulded so my advice would be start small and build up your skill set before embarking on one that's getting into serious money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Chewbacca I have to agree, rigging at scale is, as you say very different to what appears in ‘real life’. @S-boat 55 is building these two.

Now, I believe the Taiho, is a Very Fire production, but marketed under the ‘Beaver Corporation’ name. I might be completely wrong, but if not then perhaps some ‘Flyhawk ‘ detailed standard, kits are on their way in 1/350. Something to look forward to.
And regards your comments on my sea base, in an earlier post, I can’t agree more, the colour is more Disney than North Sea. I live next to the Severn Estuary so there really is no excuse for producing such a blue sea, when I have an example of colour, mud brown, just down the road. My only excuse.....water is b####y hard to replicate as a solid.

I think I’ll work up, and save up, to a large resin ship. But I would like to do one.

Jon

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks,

Is there a ‘best’ resin ship manufacturer you think?

Guy

Having only built one, I can’t say. I got mine from https://starling-models.co.uk/
the quality is very good. There is also https://atlanticmodels.net/

these are the only two suppliers I know of, then again, I’ve not looked for more. I saw H.M.S. Rhyl on the Starling site as a preorder and I liked the idea of something a bit different, so I ordered it. Glad I did.

Perhaps a general question here on Britmodeller might get the answers you seek.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:03 PM, Gisbod said:

Thanks,

Guy

Hi Guy - Can't go wrong with either Starling, Atlantic models or Black Cat models IMHO.  Starling has the edge in terms of precision detail, Atlantic has a wider range and Black Cat are coming up fast on the outside!!

Jon - Really nice looking build - I like the sea which really sets it off

Guilting me into getting on with my stalled effort :blush:

Rob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Guy - Can't go wrong with either Starling, Atlantic models or Black Cat models IMHO.  Starling has the edge in terms of precision detail, Atlantic has a wider range and Black Cat are coming up fast on the outside!!

Jon - Really nice looking build - I like the sea which really sets it off

Guilting me into getting on with my stalled effort :blush:

Rob

Great, thanks Rob, much appreciated.

Guy

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 22:57, Faraway said:

I guess you mean the stands that come with most kits. This one didn’t have one, so I was kind of forced into the sea base. At least with a stand, you don’t have to weather the ship. I’m not much good at adding rust etc. No idea how to really.

Jon

You can find many interesting tutorials here:

https://ak-interactive.com/downloads

On 23/09/2021 at 16:03, Gisbod said:

Thanks,

Guy

as Rob said Starling Model and Black Cat are best first choice option in my opinion. Morover, I can recommend Niko Models http://www.nikomodel.pl/index.php/en/ and AJM Models http://ajmmodels.pl/english/  They offer very interesting subjects, models are well detailed, however they can be not easiest for build.

You can see here how it buils:

1/700 HMS Royal Scotsman and Jervis Bay:

https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-700-hms-royal-scotsman-ajm-models-budowa/

http://modelarstwo.koszalin.pl/index.php/modele/okrety/487-krazownik-pomocniczy-hms-jervis-bay-1-700-ajm-models

Niko Models 1/350  japanese riverine gunboat Fushimi and 1/700 HMS Exeter:

https://modelwork.pl/topic/38972-fushimi-1941-niko-model-1350/

https://modelwork.pl/topic/26865-hms-exeter-1942-niko-model-1700/

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2