Airfix Mitchell II x 2 180 Squadron, August 1944 - all done (it's a bit wordy and picture-heavy, sorry!)

Simon

Hello everyone

I've just finished my pair of Airfix Mitchells, so thought I'd post some piccies. I didn't intend to build two, it just sort of got out of hand a bit. As happens, you know...:whistle:

I've been doing a W.i.P. thread, and the following intro is copied from it:

Both these Mitchells were flown by Edward 'Ted' Burn D.F.M., from Alnwick in Northumberland, so another local connection. He was involved in the following two incidents in these Mitchells:

On August 6th 1944 he was flying FW199, and from the 180 Sqn ORB Form 540:

In the morning eleven aircraft took part in a medium level bombing attack on an ammunition dump at LIVAROT and in the evening eleven aircraft attacked a concentration of enemy tanks at T.985412 in Northern France. Mitchell FW199 returning from the latter raid was hit by flak and had to make a forced landing at B.7 – 123 Wing in Normandy. The crew, all unhurt, were as follows: 1672857 Sgt. Burn, E. Pilot, 154612 P/O A.C. Kirk, Nav.B Aus419507 Sgt C.V. Smith, WO(AIR), and 1250048 Sgt. Freeman, J.R. Air Gunner.

On August 9th 1944 he was the pilot of FL210:

This morning eleven aircraft went on a bombing mission to an ammunition dump at Foret de Lyons. Intense accurate flak was encountered and casualties were sustained. In the Mitchell FL210 the Pilot and Navigator were wounded on the way to the Target, they made every endeavour to catch up on the formation and carry on with the job, but as the navigator was fast losing blood they had to turn for home and made an emergency landing at HARTFORD BRIDGE where the Navigator, P/O A.C. Kirk was taken to hospital and his left leg amputated. The pilot, Sgt E. Burn suffered only minor injury while the others Sgt. G.V. Smith (WO/Air) and Sgt J.E. Freeman (Air Gunner) were uninjured.

Ted would fly some 43 Ops with 180 Sqn, and was awarded the D.F.M. in April 1945. However, his R.A.F. career had been brought to an abrupt halt in very odd, almost tragic, cirumstances in late 1944. From the ORB Form 540, December 3rd 1944:

1672857 F/Sgt BURN E. resting in his room was shot in the head when a revolver was accidentally discharged in an adjoining room. He was instantly removed to hospital and placed on the dangerously ill list. An investigation was ordered.

Apparently another airman had just got a photo of his sweetheart, and wanted to pin it on the wall. Rather than using a hammer, or even his shoe, he decided to use his revolver, which went off and the bullet passed through the wall, hitting Ted Burn. He was taken to hospital, and somehow survived, although he lost the use of his left arm and leg. He died in 1990, as reported in the Newcastle Journal, April 14th 1990:

Wartime pilot dies after heart attack

Wartime pilot from the region has died suddenly at the age of 67.

Mr. Ted Burn, of Branding Court, Jesmond, Newcastle, died in Newcastle General Hospital after suffering a heart attack.

Mr. Burn, who won the Distinguished Flying Medal, survived a head wound caused by a gun injury to go on to careers in business and the civil service.

Born in Alnwick, he joined the RAF in 1942. Two years later, he was injured when a fellow serviceman accidentally shot him.

Mr. Burn who was left with a bullet lodged in his head, made a remarkable recovery, despite losing the use of his left arm and leg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's the intro, and the build has been interesting, to say the least. I can safely say I know much more about the Mitchell than I did before starting (which isn't that difficult, to be honest!). The devil is in the detail, and it's been interesting finding out about the foibles of the Mitchell II versions. FL-210 is an early Mitchell II, with the Bendix lower turret, and FW199 is a later version, refitted with an FN64 turret (spare from my Airfix Lancaster II). There are a host of minor detail differences - cockpit and rear fuselage glazing, nose gun, aerial fit, formation lights and wing tip lights in different positions, fuel dump pipes on the nacelle rears, camouflage paint used (Olive Drab 41 and Olive Drab 613) and the roundels on FL-210 are larger than on FW199. FL-210 also had replacement engine cowlings and exhausts fitted at some stage.

The Airfix Mitchells have also proved 'interesting' but not always for the right reasons. The kit is really nicely detailed and very cleverly designed, but I have had several issues with the mouldings, with several short-shot parts and some odd moulding artefacts on the parts that made the fit of some of the parts a little 'relaxed' to be polite. The Airfix spares department have been very helpful, and I've also had the benefit of some very helpful posts from @don f on the W.i.P. thread, and some parts I needed were supplied by @vppelt68 both of whom I'm greatly appreciative to. I've also had lots of help from Dave Poissant of the 2nd Tactical Air Force Medium Bombers Association.

I've used a few aftermarket bits - I've used photo etch parts for both kits (the Big Ed set for FW199, which has an open bomb bay), plus wheels from CMK for both kits. Decals are a mix of Xtradecal national markings, some of the kit decals and DK Decals 72043 Mitchell set for the serials and codes. I also added some scratch-built detail to the interior of both turrets and the nose interiors, as well as bracing the mainwheel legs.

One observation about the two Mitchells - Airfix recommend 25g of weight in the nose. I didn't keep track of how much I put in FW199, but kept a list of the total for FL-210, which ended up having over 40g of ballast added in various parts. Both kits will STILL sit on their tails, given half the chance, and I think it's only the flat bottoms of the CMK weighted wheels that help them balance on the nose gear...I guess the weight needs to be as far forward as possible.

Anyway, enought prattling, here are the photos (there are some detail photos on the W.I.P. so I'll not re-post them).

Mitchell-II-140

Mitchell-II-139

Mitchell-II-138

Mitchell-II-137 Mitchell-II-136

Mitchell-II-134

Mitchell-II-131

Mitchell-II-130

Mitchell-II-142

Mitchell-II-141

So, all done and dusted. I think they've been worth all the time, effort and indeed money spent on them...! :phew:

Cheers

Simon

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

Because I have difficulties masking clear parts and having them come out clean with crisp edges, the clear parts on both your models really got my attention and much admiration. Both models are excellent and the history behind them is much appreciated, but I couldn't help but notice how beautifully you handled the clear pieces.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. The transparncies on FW199 masked much more cleanly than those of FL-210. not sure if it was the paint I was using or not.

The eagle-eyed might notice that the medal on the base is a D.F.C., and should of course be a D.F.M. I noticed after I'd taken the photos, but have made a new version with the correct medal:

base-400x210

Simon

• Like 1

A fantastic pair, nicely displayed. I especially like the scrubbed off AEAF stripes. 

I feel inspired to dig mine out from the stash, if only to check for short shot parts! 🤨

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Best Airfix kits I've seen for a long long time. very well done.

How did you end up doing both?

Thank you for the kind words everyone, that's very kind.

I started off intending to do FW199 EV-P, but as I got further into the build and more info came to light about the detail differences of the early/later Mitchell IIs, I thought 'what the heck' and I may as well do FL-210 EV-T as well as I'd done the work for both of them (some of it inadvertently, it must be said) and it sort of got a bit out of hand...:blush:

I'm glad it did, as they're sufficiently different from each other and they do make a nice pair together.

Simon

What the others have said goes double for me! Crisp masking/painting of the transparencies as well as the very realistic scrubbed invasion stripes. Out of curiosity, what was the purpose of the strake/deflector in front of the windscreen of EV-T? Well done! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Excellent models both, the scrubbed stripes are very well done, as is the rest of the appearance.

Such an incredible and sad story about Ted Burn...the casual stupidity and negligence of our fellow humans shouldn't surprise me these days but that still struck a chord in me 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superbly done and beautifully finished bothe of them :goodjob:!!

Interesting background history too.

17 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Such an incredible and sad story about Ted Burn...the casual stupidity and negligence of our fellow humans shouldn't surprise me these days but that still struck a chord in me 😔

Same here.

Miguel

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Out of curiosity, what was the purpose of the strake/deflector in front of the windscreen of EV-T?

Mike

I assume it was some sort of deflector for rain/ice. I've seen a few photos of FL*** serialled Mitchells with it fitted - FL-192 and FL-686 of 305 Sqn, FL-185 EV-R and FL-707 EV-Z of 180 Sqn, and this photo which I'm 99% sure sure is FL-210 EV-T:

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/MilitaryProp/1530.htm

There are a couple of photos of FL-176 Grumpy' which show it had been removed, so maybe it wasn't that effective?

Simon

• Thanks 1

A great couple! Very nice builds.

I have just bought the Airfix B25 so I appreciate your warning regarding the correct amount of lead bob in nose.

BTW - if you glue the triangular wheel chocks from rear side of main u/c tires you move the point of support (rotation axis) some perhaps 4 mm or even 5  mm aft, what should be far enough to stabilize the position.  I have noticed this trick on someone build here on BM some years ago (I am sorry that I do not remember who it was),  but I started to use it.... It is very useful :)

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Lovely job mate and great attention to detail, I enjoyed building the initial release in 2nd TAF markings too and glad they brought out another kit with those markings included. 

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hi,

absolutely brilliant duo. They are splendid and the transparencies are ridiculously clear.

And when you love, you do not count. So no point mentioning the exorbitant expenditures involved in this project, which saw you  taking another mortgage on your house..

If you had fun, which you did, then it was worth it!!!!

JR

• Haha 1

Delightful Sir,most delightful with an excellent historical account of the pilot and crew.

These men must never be forgotten and their stories told to the younger generations.

It also used to be said that it was easy to spot a B 25 pilot and co-pilot,the pilot would be deaf in the left ear, the co deaf in the right..,,