Mig-29 Fulcrum UB "4105" Stanislaw Skalski

fmichelsen

Hello everyone :) 
This is my first "Non-GB" build here on britmodeller. I have acquired myself 3 1/72 mig 29 fulcrums, and have wanted to build a fulcrum for some time now, so here we are. So far the plan is to make one from Poland (this one), one from Irak, a italeri Mig-29a kit, and one from Iran, a mig 29a as well, which is a tamiya kit, but exactly the same as the italeri, right down to the decals :) I've read a bit about the kits, and I'm a bit excited to get started with the models since I've read the are not the best kits :P Anyways, here are some pictures:

The box :) 
y4mOhhgcF1KG_cUSe5o7KWmw3EVO-CrNOBx_gs7a

The sprues

y4mPO79G8fi11eJKG8wsCdKbuhGQmiwlQHPceCX6   

Aftermarket parts, decals

y4mHqojZLbksChUig-EvQqvGQURr3VyMX-U2NOdR

• Like 8

Great - Already a problem.. The aftermarket seats are not same size as the kits, can tell which one is correct though? But so far I have cut out the square box in the bottom of the cockpit, so the resin seats have more space, but that does'nt solve the problem. The seats is to big lenght-wise as well.. Have to cut of some of the backrest from the fuselage and seal the gap later with some thin pieces of plastic, and thats only the rear seat, have'nt gotten to the front yet - It will be good :D
Picture of the issues:
y4mK0HeoyhIOchMW1bHUx30yzHzLZfJgFPuURNnp

Picture of the solution.. maybe :P 
y4mq2aRd6-yPmOJhBSMXLlVrRnUIEE5d9qrO_afh

• Like 2

A bit more hack and slash have been committed :D 

The part I've marked before have now been cut off, filed in shape, and put back up in the gap, to widen the gap about 1,5 mm, which seems to be just enough in the dry-fit. When the filler is dry, I hope i will look superb :D
y4mjR6OB1aR_p5isfavKWFbyuefMak3mRtJAfJj5

The underside of the 'pit. Looks like I've used a small hatchet, but i have filed it more smooth after the picture. About 1 mm have come off ;) 

y4mkPskKhL3pGtqKKyADnEGyoSqR9H5SBiA4YdSG

The poor verlinden seats. They look very nice, so it was a bit sad to remove more then it was intented, but there was no chance I could get them to fit the 'pit without removing "too much"

y4m6qas6P7nPk4nKHZLAMbLmJ2biy11nDMXc8tnb

The inside of the bottom-part, filed quite alot, and the sides have been cut and filed as well.  

y4mNWNKnttU1xuN5VVcbsWV9AUDgOqDbjZmEHwbz

With all these things done, dry fit look OK, but I can see there will be some gaps to attend later 😕 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Nice progress!

There will be some filling and sanding required around the nose in my experience.

Cheers,

Andrd

Thank you, yes I can see that when dry fitting. And there will be some panellines to be recreated as well 🙄😉

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I have a couple of the Italeri Mig-29s, they were rated the best at the time I bought them. Remind me to find some other AM seats. For all that, yours look very good.

Steve.

Thank you - haha yes, for my other mig 29 I'm planning to build I've bought quickboost seats, hopefully they wil fit better, or maybe its just a problem with the UB and not the A's. 

• Like 1

I've been doing some panellines with scalpel and a homemade thing made of a needle and an old brush :D Proberly not the best you'll come across, but I think it's decent enough :) 
There is still some small gap to be filled with Mr. surfacer later: 
y4mRatjMOuIU5T37bcOiB_-6vhs-WrybZ9k6__ul

y4mugc1Oz8kqEQfmLa5quJRObTfcn0PqKaYrj47o

y4mV0ODNQqotvzltisPTFicZ6RDQT6_6xxRo7oHN

Have cutted the tailrudders from sprue and cleaned them, but have'nt decided yet whether to glued them on, or wait. I'm tempted to wait since it will easy the decal work quite bit :) 

• Like 3

Does anyone have knowlegde or pictures of the armament of the Polish Mig 29UB. From the set it is supposed to be build with a fuel tank on each side, and 2 R-60 (or R-73) on the outer pylons on each side. Is there another way I can build this? I've been trying to find information on Google, but can't rally find anything usefull. I did find a pictures of a mig 29 with All the different weapon the customers of export mig could buy, but I dont think it nessercary meant they did?! Hope somebody can help me out here 😉💪

9 minutes ago, Hook said:

UB's generally did not carry much. The wing tanks were for ferry use only.

Most common were blackstriped R-73 training rounds. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Thank you, Don't no much about their armament :) So just 1 black striped on each side? What about the pylons then, where they removed? And which pylon did the training rounds sit on :) Sorry for all the questions ;) 

Since I can't really find anything which I find as good reference, I'm going with fuel tanks and 2x2 R60 Aphid ;) Hopefully its is possible it had flown like that once :D My alternative was to make entirely without anything under the wings, but I could'nt go that way 😛

Thanks for the photos, they are good :D I'll make mine with fuel tanks and 4 lives missiles :) I do hope i flew like that at some point in history :D 

Here are some photos of the proces:

I does look like the nose is another light gray than the other light gray, but that's lightning doing that, they are the same :)
y4mswNUYdC8QevwK9uzLutAinosEFDYKkAboX4XW

The belly. The intakes are painted white/grey and the wheel bays are painted humbrol 64 :) 

y4moYuxBA_XVQ6PArbgJjLE9us3PRDySbvVN9byu

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Several years ago I also built three Italeri Fulcrum (two of UB) and I enjoyed much during that builds. But I must admit that I have not placed the K36 seats yet...

Good progress so far.

Serkan

Well they did'nt go in mine without trouble :D 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, fmichelsen said:

I'll make mine with fuel tanks and 4 lives missiles :) I do hope i flew like that at some point in history :D 

y4mswNUYdC8QevwK9uzLutAinosEFDYKkAboX4XW

Very nice work so far, and a nice scheme 👍

History won't mind if your model looks cool 😎

Alan

• Thanks 1

I'm calling it done. Suddenly things went very fast ;) The decals were very good :)

After decals I sealed it with another layer of clear coat, then a wash. After the wash i postshaded it with a mix of brown and black, and I think I went a bit to far, but somehow I think it look cool enough. I learned a lot in this build, and there are somethings I'll do different next time :)

y4m0j0vQnopLL4XfyYpmLP_1X624SfwfXI9uvIjr

y4msjCIff--ZCWAIiCknZBZJIbWVWINkVSmCSox6

y4mbTqzTEx1yryISaN4AJbX7GppTgjkBOt8Dr3MJ

y4mc1kxRU_1Re2E8pcBPxnoxeTArrtoyNWwhBhjI

y4mh6TW4JdbjfF5M3eS6dEdR7xjk5Vr6OdkbFvWM

• Like 2

• 1 month later...