Eduard 1/48 P-51D-5 Cripes A'Mighty 3rd

Hey all,

Here's Eduard's 1/48 P-51D-5 from their profi-pack kit. Attracted to the colour schemes, I bought this kit a few months ago when it first came out but I've only just got round to it now. It was definitely hard to choose what colour scheme to do her in! Hence why I might've bought a few of Eduard's Overtrees to go with it... :blush:

Overall it's a very nicely detailed kit and cleverly engineered, however it's still no Tamiya, as I found the fit lacking in a few areas and the tolerences didn't allow for much play with the parts, they had to be put in spot on otherwise the next bit wouldn't necessarily fit. 

Being this is my first attempt at an NMF, I tried to play it safe with Tamiya Laquers as they actually have quite a nice selection of metallic tones that have been released. I pre-shaded first in black then went in with the metallic colours. Handily, Eduard actually provide a guide to the various metallic finishes that Mustangs wore during their service, and denoted where the aircraft was lacquered or left bare-metal. The Tamiya laquers were also quite hardy so took the heavily weathered effect I was headed for without damaging the finish. Saying that though, I still varnished the bird with Tamiya Semi-Gloss to make it a bit more uniform in appearance.

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

DSCN0709.jpg

DSCN0710.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

Sam

• Like 48
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic model of Maj Preddy's Mustang. It seems the Eduard kit offers all you need for an OOB build. Great result! (but no antenna wires in VIII Fighter Command)

• Like 1

Fantastic work there. And I agree 100 % the fit tolerances are very small. So one little mistake and the drama starts. No Tamiya, but details and all the riveting is first class. No shake and bake kit, like some other Eduard kits too. 

cheers

Andy

• Like 1