Hobbyboss F-14a 1/72 VF -41

almac

Morning all. I’m pitching in with this kit which appears to be a popular choice with I think four others being built. For me this is a good thing as I’ll probably run into issues as I go (I always do) so I’ll follow the others and hopefully pick up some tips.

This will be my first Tomcat build and I know very little about them just now so there will be errors along the way. I haven’t finished a model in a year the last one being a helicopter for a Group build on Britmodeller.  This year I just seemed to lose my mojo for modelling and I missed a few GBs along the way.  Now my interest has returned in time for this GB and it has coincided with 10 days COVID isolation as my wife and two of the kids have tested positive. So I’m off work for now, still negative for COVID currently, with time on my hands and my wife confined to the bedroom it gives me free reign for modelling. 

Last night I started on the cockpit and did the painting. I have an Eduard etch set for the cockpit which should improve the basic kit. Etch for me is usually a challenge but this set is self- adhesive so it should be easier.

Here is where I’ve got to for now.

spacer.png

More soon.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 8

Welcome to the GB Allan. Rest assured we'll offer plenty encouragement to keep you going and the Tomcat is a popular subject so any questions you have will likely find an answer amongst us ;)

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I spent several hours today attaching the photoetch in the cockpit. As I previously mentioned this is a self adhesive set but that only applies to the larger pieces but smaller bits still need superglue to attach them. I got most of the Etch on but some were impossibly small and beyond my skills. It is certainly not perfect but it definitely improves the spartan kit cockpit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apologies for the picture quality as I am using my old iPhone as my better half is using my iPad while she is isolating. 

Hopefully more progress tomorrow. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 10

Evening all. Progress with this today and yesterday. This is, for me, a mixed bag with some problem areas with poor fit and excellent fit in other areas. 

The fit of the front and rear fuselage looks really good. I haven’t glued it yet but looks fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The above picture shows the poor fit above the intakes which is much the same on both sides. Still nothing I can’t fix, probably. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Hopefully a fill and sand session will see you right there Allan.

Yes I spent some time last night doing that and I think it’s ok now. Hopefully I can crack on with this now. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 19:23, almac said:

Evening all. Progress with this today and yesterday. This is, for me, a mixed bag with some problem areas with poor fit and excellent fit in other areas. 

The fit of the front and rear fuselage looks really good. I haven’t glued it yet but looks fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The above picture shows the poor fit above the intakes which is much the same on both sides. Still nothing I can’t fix, probably. 

Cheers Allan

I am doing the same model and I have noticed that if the glove vanes are not inserted the fit is much better

Yes, the F8 and F9 parts, for this area I have decided not to follow the instructions and not to remove the edges indicated in step 2. glove vanes were usually disabled and welded shut in the field as more trouble than they were worth

51520275783_8a8146d911_c.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pierpaolo said:

PS: I suggest not even following step 3 and not painting in insignia red the entire leading edge of the wings :)

Hi, yes I noticed that strange issue with the red. I had a debate with myself over opening up the slots for the vanes or not. Still done now and sorted. Tonight I will be sorting out the I’ll-fitting exhaust parts, another night of filling and sanding. 

Cheers Allan

Hi all. Small update tonight following some tedious filling and sanding on ill fitting parts. I’ve probably missed some bits but no doubt the primer will show that up. I glued the nose cone on and then glued the front fuselage to the rear. The top join of the fuselage join looks ok the bottom join not so much. 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 6

Evening all. I planned to get more done tonight but I’m way too tired. I’ve got to the point where I’m ready to start priming. I plan to paint the exhaust nozzles first, mask them off and then attach the tail fins and begin the main painting. Hopefully there won’t be to many issues revealed by the primer. This one has needed a fair amount of work to get to this point but enjoyable nonetheless. This pic shows where I’ve got to. The wings and tail fins are not glued on yet.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 10

Thanks Steve, it’s not the best fitting kit but I’m hopefully sorted out the problems. About to start priming and that will show anything I’ve missed.

Cheers Allan 

HI all, I sprayed some primer on this one tonight,MR surfacer black. This is great stuff but extremely smelly. I’ll look at it in detail in the morning to see if there’s more work to do. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

Hi all. I realised I haven’t mentioned what paint scheme I’ll be doing. I’ve chosen a gull grey and white F-14 from VF-41 in 1978. This is one of the kit options.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

Evening all. Started a bit of the painting tonight. I forgot I was going to paint the metallic parts of the jet exhaust first. Never mind, another day. I also forgot to prime the tail fins, again a job for another day. Anyway I’ve started painting the white and as I’m trying to avoid a uniform finish so I’ve tried to build the white up slowly. So I’ve stopped for tonight and will continue another day. 

spacer.png

Meantime I’m going to do some research on the demarcation lines for the light gull grey.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

• almac changed the title to Hobbyboss F-14a 1/72 VF -41